Sweeney Todd

goldengloves

Now I like pretty much anything Tim Burton but this movie, I thought, was exceptional. A lot more gruesome than I originally expected but it never took away from the movie. The singing was awesome; Helena Bonham Carter was probably my favorite singer with Depp coming in a close second but they all worked very well together.

I highly recommend this movie, especially if you are into the weird and twisted movies/stories of Mr. Burton.

Anyone else seen it?

Now I like pretty much anything Tim Burton but this movie, I thought, was exceptional. A lot more gruesome than I originally expected but it never took away from the movie. The singing was awesome; Helena Bonham Carter was probably my favorite singer with Depp coming in a close second but they all worked very well together.

I highly recommend this movie, especially if you are into the weird and twisted movies/stories of Mr. Burton.

Anyone else seen it?

I saw this last night and it definitely exceeded my expectations. My favorite singer was probably the little boy when he was selling stuff, and my favorite song was probably the one with Depp and the Judge. It was also a lot more gory than I expected.

I never knew Depp had a good singing voice, the movie was much cooler seeing already established actors sing than no names who had previous singing careers.

I saw this last night and it definitely exceeded my expectations. My favorite singer was probably the little boy when he was selling stuff, and my favorite song was probably the one with Depp and the Judge. It was also a lot more gory than I expected.

I never knew Depp had a good singing voice, the movie was much cooler seeing already established actors sing than no names who had previous singing careers.

I really enjoyed this. I think it's Burtons best piece since Ed Wood, but what I'm really saying is this the only film he's done since 1994 that's been more than passably decent in my opinion.

My problem with his work in general is that it's marketed as very sick and twisted, but in reality is generally only so on a very surface level. It's all very stylishly macabre but not much more. I much prefer Scissorhands in the way its perversion is somewhat more Lynch-ian, it seems a more personal brand of sickness that's far more terrifying than the gentrified darkness of "black here, blood there, victorian foppery and scary sets." Ed Wood worked on a very similiar level.

I don't find that this broke much from the norm, but it did in one very important way: it's a musical (I mostly just consider his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a travesty and little else). His visual bombasticism makes plenty more sense than it did in his other films where it seemed a way to gloss over the content.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed this. I think it's Burtons best piece since Ed Wood, but what I'm really saying is this the only film he's done since 1994 that's been more than passably decent in my opinion.

My problem with his work in general is that it's marketed as very sick and twisted, but in reality is generally only so on a very surface level. It's all very stylishly macabre but not much more. I much prefer Scissorhands in the way its perversion is somewhat more Lynch-ian, it seems a more personal brand of sickness that's far more terrifying than the gentrified darkness of "black here, blood there, victorian foppery and scary sets." Ed Wood worked on a very similiar level.

I don't find that this broke much from the norm, but it did in one very important way: it's a musical (I mostly just consider his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a travesty and little else). His visual bombasticism makes plenty more sense than it did in his other films where it seemed a way to gloss over the content.

Anyway, I enjoyed it.