Do you put new soles/heels on your new shoes/boots before you wear them?

MikeN

Before I wear any new pair of shoes or boots, I'll have my local shoe guy put new soles and heels on them. Anyone else do this? Better walking on ribbed rubber than nice leather. However I just got a gorgeous new pair of Balenciaga combat boots, and I'm a little reluctant to "alter" the boots in any way. Normally I'd figure that since they are nice boots, I want to protect them, but it almost feels wrong doing it to this pair, since it involves gluing and nailing into the bottom of the boot. Any thoughts? Am I crazy? Have I put way too much thought into this? Is this even the right forum for this?!?!?

For something like a combat boot, I would put a topy bottom on. It's better for all-weather use, which I'm guessing the boots would see.

Dress shoes, never. clop clop commands respect.

edit: I'm confused.. You're just adding a topy bottom to the shoes, right? The way you're wording it seems like you're having a large chunk of the sole removed and replaced with rubber.

There is a school of thought that putting a topy on leather soled shoes ruins the sole from the inside out. I don't have an opinion on the whole thing but the thought process goes like this:

Leather soles "breathe" and once you put the topy on, they can no longer do so. If moisture never escapes from the leather sole, they will rot from the inside out.

I don't put topys on any of my dress shoes. I do put taps on most, if not all of my dress shoes.

There is a school of thought that putting a topy on leather soled shoes ruins the sole from the inside out. I don't have an opinion on the whole thing but the thought process goes like this:

Leather soles "breathe" and once you put the topy on, they can no longer do so. If moisture never escapes from the leather sole, they will rot from the inside out.

Why then do some manufacturers put a rubber sole on top of a leather sole at the factory?

Why then do some manufacturers put a rubber sole on top of a leather sole at the factory?

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. But I've never seen a pair of shoes with a leather sole covered with rubber. I've seen leather/rubber combo soles but the rubber is never a layer that is applied on top of the leather. Can you find an example?

I don't put topys on any of my dress shoes. I do put taps on most, if not all of my dress shoes.

Well, I'm not sure if this makes sense, because the entire sole is not covered, just the part that touches the ground (obviously). So the leather between where the heel ends and the first part of the sole touches the ground is exposed. It's not like anything is "locked in". Also I've never heard the term "topy" before this thread, and I've been having shoes made/altered/repaired for a good amount of time.

Well, I'm not sure if this makes sense, because the entire sole is not covered, just the part that touches the ground (obviously). So the leather between where the heel ends and the first part of the sole touches the ground is exposed. It's not like anything is "locked in". Also I've never heard the term "topy" before this thread, and I've been having shoes made/altered/repaired for a good amount of time.

Like I said, I don't really have an opinion. The argument may or may not have any merit.

Go here for a more in depth thread: http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=40419&highlight=topy

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. But I've never seen a pair of shoes with a leather sole covered with rubber. I've seen leather/rubber combo soles but the rubber is never a layer that is applied on top of the leather. Can you find an example?

So this is different (not bad for the breathe-ability of the shoes) because the rubber doesn't span the entire sole and is sewn on instead of glued?

867hcma.jpg

I've done this to all my boots actually. The topy is just a thin rubber layer, about 1-1.5 cm , so it doesn't alter the silhouette of the shoes whatsoever.

This is a pic from my cdiems

CIMG3223.jpg

topy-ing your soles is like covering your sofa in plastic

overly-fastiduous, approaching pocket-protector territory

you may extend the life of the sole but what kind of life is that to live?

like wearing a raincoat when you shower

civilians wearing combat boots conveys a tough-guy, i don't give a fuck attitude

topys undercut that message and broadcast that you are overly concerned about your expensive boots

don't do it!

^^ The CD's are pretty much what I'm talking about. Breathability really isn't that much of a concern if you are diligent about shoe rotation and shoe trees. I would do it for a pair of boots that will see a lot of rain and otherwise unpleasant weather. It will extend the life of your outsole tremendously.

So this is different (not bad for the breathe-ability of the shoes) because the rubber doesn't span the entire sole and is sewn on instead of glued?

867hcma.jpg

Honestly I'm not sure -- I'm not an expert in this department and there's obviously no evidence that it makes a huge difference. Keep in mind that this argument is focused on the breathe-ability of the leather outsole, not the shoe itself (most of the shoe's "breathing" will be through the huge hole where you stick your foot in). Imagine this scenario:

You're walking in the rain with your topy-ed shoes and the outsole/midsole of your shoe gets thoroughly waterlogged through the sides. How does that moisture get out if you've covered the outsole with rubber & glue?

Styleforum or AskAndy will have the answer (or debate) as to how the soles are done. I wonder if there is leather underneath the rubber on forefoot of the Aldens you posted? Or maybe the sole is done differently when rubber is involved?

You're walking in the rain with your topy-ed shoes and the outsole/midsole of your shoe gets thoroughly waterlogged through the sides. How does that moisture get out if you've covered the outsole with rubber & glue?

Through the exposed middle part of the bottom of the sole, and/or the same way it came in?

i've put half soles on a pair of leather soled boots and surprisingly they haven't exploded with fungus. people outside nyc may not be familiar with the experience of walking long distances through rivers of slush, which is a major consideration

anyway, if you're going to glue anything to a leather outsole i have been instructed you should wear it a few times to give a rough texture so the glue sticks better. although if your stuff hasn't fallen off that could be spurious advice.

i've put half soles on a pair of leather soled boots and surprisingly they haven't exploded with fungus. people outside nyc may not be familiar with the experience of walking long distances through rivers of slush, which is a major consideration

anyway, if you're going to glue anything to a leather outsole i have been instructed you should wear it a few times to give a rough texture so the glue sticks better. although if your stuff hasn't fallen off that could be spurious advice.

I live in New York too and I put taps on because of all the walking I do. Never needed topy's though. For the most part I just keep a few shoes with rubber bottoms for this reason. Should you really be wearing your Balenciaga boots on days when you know you'll be walking through rivers of slush?

Do people put taps like on dress shoes on boots like cdiems or the balenciaga ones? I have no idea so i'm curious. Would that help preserve the sole a bit better but not compromise the breathability/look too much?

ddml- Last time a guy on aaac made that sofa reference, i think they shot him.

Karlo at Atelier advised me back when along with everyone else to have the thin soles put on them because when it comes time to have the boots resoled no cobbler will be able to match the original sole. Personally, I don't like it and agree with ddml however I don't want a cobbler mangling my million dollar boots.

see thats my thing, i dont care if the original sole is matched as long as it is reasonably close. the sole, to me, is not an integral part of the shoe. its a utilitarian thing, and as such, the idea of preserving the original sole is beyond my understanding.

wear your shoe, wear the sole down, get a new sole, continue the process...

I live in New York too and I put taps on because of all the walking I do. Never needed topy's though. For the most part I just keep a few shoes with rubber bottoms for this reason. Should you really be wearing your Balenciaga boots on days when you know you'll be walking through rivers of slush?

The answer to that question... is noo. I should not and will not be wearing them on shitty days.

The answer to that question... is noo. I should not and will not be wearing them on shitty days.

Than don't put anything on them. Unless you'll wear them every single day for months the leather soles will last long enough. You'll worry about them when they fall apart, just wear the fucking boots already :D (and post pics)

see thats my thing, i dont care if the original sole is matched as long as it is reasonably close. the sole, to me, is not an integral part of the shoe. its a utilitarian thing, and as such, the idea of preserving the original sole is beyond my understanding.

wear your shoe, wear the sole down, get a new sole, continue the process...

I don't know, it's a work of art. It won't look anything original once replaced feel me?

I'm talking about the sides and the visible part of the heel.