i finally washed my APC's

lots of good old fashion wear for as long as it was bearable to put up with the smell and dirt, then a warm soak with some arm and hammer detergent (i was thinking of going for woolite black but i decided id rather loose a little of the color to try to make them look more contrasty so i just used any old detergent, though the arm and hammer worked well didn't take too much color away from the already dark areas and lightened up the lighter ones). after the first soak to get all the soap out i did a hotter wash with warm to hot water, then hung them up to dry.

im glad you guys like them, im pretty happy with them too. it was like diving into a cold pool every morning putting them on, i would hesistate because they felt so gross and were almost brown from dirt but after jumping in them it didn't feel too terrible.

Nice job.

"is there any other way to duplicate the honeycombing on the back of the knees and pocket areas with jeans that were bought already treated?"

Depends how they have been washed. Basically indigo will rub off the surface of the yarn at all stages in the 'lifecycle' of a pair of jeans. You'll notice the wear marks more on dry or one-wash jeans because they are darker and have no factory-made distress marks on them. So whilst you can still remove some indigo on a pair of light blue washed jeans, you won't see the marks very clearly due to the lack of contrast.

Quote:

im glad you guys like them, im pretty happy with them too. it was like diving into a cold pool every morning putting them on, i would hesistate because they felt so gross and were almost brown from dirt but after jumping in them it didn't feel too terrible.

--- Original message by 1 on Aug 29, 2005 10:01 PM

Hahah, that pool analogy is spot on. And those jeans look awesome... sweetest looking pair of worn-in APCs that I've seen. I really like how the dark areas have remained pretty dark.

ha, very good job with the picture geowu. yyou can just barely see on the 5 month one how dirty they were, where the spots were all washed out they were almost brownish colored with dirt, the wash did a good job clearing all that out and letting the worn parts show through.