American Originals: CNBC special on Levi's

mopar_jj

Ya, It was pretty good. Got to put some faces to names - Such as Lynn Downey and Even our own PaulT made an appearance! (unbenounced to him, I might add!! from stuff he did a few yrs ago) There were a few items conspicuous by their absense - no mention of lawsuits, japanese denim and the famous thai fakes. I am surprised that they never mentioned the fakes, as I was in contact with the producer of the documentary and mentioned the booming fake business from Thailand and Ebays ignorance or laziness in doing anything about them being auctioned. I guess they were too far along in the production by the time he contacted me. I also mentioned that they should go and check Madelines store and collection, as I consider this probably the best collection this side of the factory archives or some rich collectors in Japan.

Its def. worth a look, but it just a thumbnail sketch of the industry. The highlight for us vintage buffs is stock type footage of Lynn at levis going through their collection and what goes around comes around vintage in NY

Mj

They mentioned something about how levis brought "side stitching" into every american household......huh??

Funny how they didnt mention a selvage outseam as a tell-tale sign of a vintage jean. Maybe all the repros today downplay the selvage a bit.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. An hour long documentary about jeans is like a dream come true ;)

I just watched it.

Cool to see PaulT in the show! No mentioning of the Levi's Vintage line in the script, but they did show some pictures of LVC in the piece, as well as talking about the Levi's archives and how current levis designers take inspiraton from their historical garments for modern collections.

For the superfuture crowd, nothing that we don't already know was mentioned, I think this was definately geared toward the average consumer. Alot of talk about levi's commercials and sales figures and statistics, only mention of lawsuits was the fact that in levi's first year of operation they had already sued two competitors!

There was also a brief over-view, not very detailed of what to look for in vintage jeans to determine age and monetary value. No mention of red-line selvage however, which I thought would be considered an importantr clue in determining the age of old Levi's.

I just watched it.

Cool to see PaulT in the show! No mentioning of the Levi's Vintage line in the script, but they did show some pictures of LVC in the piece, as well as talking about the Levi's archives and how current levis designers take inspiraton from their historical garments for modern collections.

For the superfuture crowd, nothing that we don't already know was mentioned, I think this was definately geared toward the average consumer. Alot of talk about levi's commercials and sales figures and statistics, only mention of lawsuits was the fact that in levi's first year of operation they had already sued two competitors!

There was also a brief over-view, not very detailed of what to look for in vintage jeans to determine age and monetary value. No mention of red-line selvage however, which I thought would be considered an importantr clue in determining the age of old Levi's.

thanks for posting this. just watched it myself.

considering it was a show for cnbc, thought it wasn't bad at all. it's really more about the business of denim, less about the fringe denim manias. although, i would also love to see a show more about latter too.

but like others said, was good to see paul t in action.

thanks for posting this. just watched it myself.

considering it was a show for cnbc, thought it wasn't bad at all. it's really more about the business of denim, less about the fringe denim manias. although, i would also love to see a show more about latter too.

but like others said, was good to see paul t in action.