WHAT ARE YOU?

Selegna

i'm turkish. my ancestors came from the ottoman empire to the balkans 500 years ago. so my parents grew up in macedonia (mixed population, where slavs are majority) close to albania, but moved to germany 30 years ago. where i was born, and have german citizenship. but i consider myself a turk. does that make me a caucasian then??

Quote:

flips always claimin' they part spanish but that's some identity crisis shit....

--- Original message by whosnervous on Aug 30, 2005 12:52 AM

the Spanish did colonize the Philippines so i dont see why that would be inaccurate..

aaanyway..

a fellow Magellan killer here.

*waves*

Quote:
Quote:

flips always claimin' they part spanish but that's some identity crisis shit....

--- Original message by whosnervous on Aug 30, 2005 12:52 AM

the Spanish did colonize the Philippines so i dont see why that would be inaccurate..

aaanyway..

a fellow Magellan killer here.

*waves*

--- Original message by Ryan on Aug 30, 2005 09:17 AM

The Spanish ruled the Philippines for almost 400 years which undoubtedly means that the local population is inter-mixed with at least some spanish ancestry. In fact there are still remnants of the colonization in the form of certain families which still trace practically all of their complete ancestry back to Spain. The effect of the Spanish colonization was such that Spanish is in fact incorporated quite heavily into all facets of Filipino culture, including the language. Very few remnants of the original Malay culture which once dominated the Philippines remain. Similar circumstances are in fact commonplace with many of the other Spanish colonies around the world including Latin America and the Spanish Caribbean. Many such countries are in fact composed of individuals whose ancestry in fact stems from both Spanish and indigenous peoples, be it Aztec, Mayan, Incan etc. The word coined by the Spanish to describe such individuals of a mixed ethnicity is "mestizo" which aptly describes the majority of people from the aformentioned areas of previous Spanish colonial rule. Thus Filipinos "claiming to be part Spanish" are not making inaccurate statements, much like a Mexican claiming to be "part Spanish" may not be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Philippines

• 2 years later...