My Nudie RR Dry Selvage Has Arrived!a bit more?

john11f

I got my 34X34 Nudies finally! I bought them online from fos5.com and they are fantastic! Mattias just worked it all out for me despite the hurdles.

The problem is, it is a bit big on the waist for me. I got my Loomstate on 34s, Rogans 34s, APC English in 32. Based on the knowlledge I got from this forum, the RRs should fit true to size.

Now, I haven't soaked them but based on my experience with my APC, it doesn't shrink that much (I tried a 34 first) and I gather it should be the same with the RRs.

Would they really shrink a lot more after soaking (should I soak it in warm water)? Are there any other ways to increase shrinkage?

This is right off the Nudie website:

Q: how much shrinkage will you get on your regular ralf japanese denim jeans? i have had other raw denim jeans before and they have always shrunk down by probably a size. by washing them after 6 months does this minimize shrinkage? thanks

A: Almost all raw denim is preshrunk and sanforized today. the old shrink to fit denim is hardly produced anymore. The Regular Ralf japanese denim will shrink 2-3% and that is not more than what you can stretch back after wash when the jeans are still damp. Using them for a long time before washing does not minimize the shrinkage.

Soak them in cold for a couple hours, then hang dry them. Also, you may want to load them up with starch while they're hanging. I do this to make sure that they're nice and stiff when they dry, because jeans that have been washed soften up a lot. My last piece of advice is to wear them before theyre completely dry, sit down at your computer or something and let the creases around the lap really set in. This will provide maximum whiskering (I'm assuming you want whiskering, because thats what most people who buy Nudies want).

It's now undergoing a cold soak. Wish me luck. I wennt to the MyNudies forum and I think they recommend that you size dowwn in dry denim since it will stretch back to normal after wearing. Nevertheless, I think I could live with the RRs being a bit big on the waist. Everything else is perfect.

I just have to wear a belt all the time!!!

It says in the tag that it shrinks 3%. That's about .35 of an inch. Should be good enough to fit me well. I'm hanging it to dry right now and should be good to wear in 4 hours. Like whiskey said, I'll wear it even if it's still slightly damp to get the whiskering effect.

The Nudie's will be my rock and roll jeans. The APC will be for more than casual clothing and then the Rogan and the Loomstate for everyday. The Rogans are an eyecatcher for none denimheads like us. They, especially in my country, wouldn't know what selvage denim is.

I'll break the Looomstates like they're super distressed. It's the least I like from my collection.

After not completely dried, I took Wild Whiskey's advise and wore my Nudie's and worked on them to get some creases show more pronouncely.

I must say (even though it is just in its initial stage) that it has shown some marks already. I'm going to try to wear them as much as possible to accelerate the ageing.

Thanks Wild Whiskey!

Quote:

Just out of curiousity... I could use some shrinkage, but I've been breaking them in for the past 2 months already. Is it too late to give them a cold soak?

--- Original message by PG2G on Aug 27, 2005 12:58 AM

I wore my APCs for about three months, then they started stretching a bit more than was comfortable. I soaked them in cold water for a couple hours, hung them to dry, then wore them while damp. They certainly shrunk a bit, but are still larger than when I purchased them. They're more comfortable than they were before I washed them, though.

The RRs shrank probably about 1/4 of an inch in the waist but still a bit big than true 34. The inseam became 33.5. I was supposed to have it hemmed but since I will cuff it, I don't think it's necessary.

Wearing while damp would really put some creases in them that you could work on to amplify them. I wish I could wear jeans at work everyday to hasten the ageing. Unfortunately, I could only wear jeans at work on Fridays.

But I wear them at home ALL the time and every weekend. I think my other denims will take a backseat first since I'm so intrigued by the potential of them Nudie's! It looks really dry and the indiglo is dark. I'm really curious as to how it will look months after not washing. Although I'm not sure if I can stand it for 6 months. I'll probably have them dry cleaned or air dry them.

Quote:
Quote: Just out of curiousity... I could use some shrinkage, but I've been breaking them in for the past 2 months already. Is it too late to give them a cold soak?

no.

--- Original message by Geowu on Aug 27, 2005 10:35 AM

but wouldn't creases, wear marks, whiskering, etc show up since you're subjecting it to water?? i thought the goal was to hold off as long as possible before they would be tossed in some water?? also, won't indigo loss occur prematurely?

"it's just a phase and you know damn well that you'll fall off in a minute cause that shit don't sell"

Edited by sr20det on Aug 30, 2005 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Just out of curiousity... I could use some shrinkage, but I've been breaking them in for the past 2 months already. Is it too late to give them a cold soak?

no.

--- Original message by Geowu on Aug 27, 2005 10:35 AM

but wouldn't creases, wear marks, whiskering, etc show up since you're subjecting it to water?? i thought the goal was to hold off as long as possible before they would be tossed in some water?? also, won't indigo loss occur prematurely?

--- Original message by sr20det on Aug 30, 2005 10:35 AM

just soak the denim. don't wash them. it will lose a bit of indigo but not so much as long as you soak them inside out.

My RRs are turning out quite well! I've been wearing them 6 hours a day...

Quote:

washing the jeans will actually shrink the "baggy factor"? to unwashed denim right?

--- Original message by aitsuka on Sep 2, 2005 10:48 AM

washing the jeans will definitely shrink it but probably not the "baggy factor" you are talking about. It ain't baggy to begin with.

the only good thing about expensive denim is that there won't be a lot of people wearing them. chances are, you won't see anyone wearing them as much as say, Levi's. Otherwise, $265 for a pair is a luxury that not a lot of people are willing to shell out for clothing. I share your pain....but I still went for it! good thing I got them for $199 before they increased the price.

Quote:

they look good, john11f. That's a good start.

Make your photobucket album public?!

--- Original message by Geowu on Sep 5, 2005 06:50 PM

Thanks Geowu! How do you make them public? Can I just restrict viewing only to my RRs? I will try and give a monthly update on the progress.