s u p r e m e

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

yeah, one last thread. sorry.

anyone know who actually designs the stuff there. there's like 100 people working there all the time, but don't think they do much desiging. james a part of the process or is it just the kids there?

Quote:

yeah, one last thread. sorry.

anyone know who actually designs the stuff there. there's like 100 people working there all the time, but don't think they do much desiging. james a part of the process or is it just the kids there?

--- Original message by dontcaretoomuchforcrap on Aug 23, 2005 08:03 PM

sure, one last thread!

anyway, just send these guys a lookbook with supreme designs i did. haven't heard any thing yet.

really looking forward to see the fall range.

NO idea who is into designing, who's not. NO idea on what will drop (apart from vans collabo.)

cheers

Quote:

yo

supreme is just overpriced and so so quality.

don't jump onto the band wagon just

because there is a line up for their gear

peace

--- Original message by doom on Aug 24, 2005 12:20 PM

overpriced... on the resellers side, jep! but 24 $ for a tees (even for logo ones is ok)

"don't jump onto the band wagon just

because there is a line up for their gear"

... totally!

Quote:
Quote:

yo

supreme is just overpriced and so so quality.

don't jump onto the band wagon just

because there is a line up for their gear

peace

--- Original message by doom on Aug 24, 2005 12:20 PM

yeah i dont know how that whole supreme frenzy started, better designers out there with quality clothing.

--- Original message by soleindahole on Aug 24, 2005 12:22 PM

would like to know as well! maybe nike sbs?

better designs/quality.... regarding these two - unbeatable. word!!!!!

okay i gotta sound off on this. for whatever reason (prob overexposure due to the whole dunk thing) it's not cool to sweat Supreme gear too hard these days, but whatever, the stuff is ill. I don't really care about the standard tees, and the glory days of the well-made nice-fitting box caps have come and gone, but the more straight-up clothing pieces are as good as ever. The cut, fit and construction of their tops is really nice: the constructed tees (really soft, thick cotton), button-ups and crew-neck sweats. They use a lot of dope patterns and materials...waterproof moleskin, herringbone denim, waxed waterproof cotton, etc... just got a pair of the speckle shorts and was actually shocked by how heavyweight they were...and you can't even test their sweatpants, -heavy-! Their rain and cold weather jackets are amazing...classic military styles with lots of attention to detail. Overall the stuff is pretty understated and not over the top. I wear the clothes i wear because i like them...not to impress others and not to get compliments; but i gotta say, i get more compliments on basic supreme gear (not the logo stuff) than i do from anything else, and from people who have no clue what supreme is. The stuff can just look really good on you. As far as this whole 'genre' goes, this stuff is as legit as it gets, and apart from some random stussy items, this is the only 'streetbrand' gear i wear. i don't have a ton of it, and it's def. not the only stuff i wear, but the pieces i do have i love. as far as pricing, the stuff is too expensive, and a lot of it i end up finding used or new and for considerably less than retail, but there's a lot of stuff that's so dope that i'm willing to pay the price if i can get my hands on it. to doom, though, the caps are actually the most reasonably priced items they sell! as for quality, like i said i think the materials and details are quality, but don't expect their buttons to stay on! what's up w/this! okay, enough fanning out, flame away...

I have a few items from Supreme. I prefer their understated stuff too. The Supreme backlash is based on its popularity. Kind of like Bape, but it's easier to make fun of Bape's cartoonish hip-hop style. Hey, that's just me.

Also, it's not too expensive if you don't buy everything off resellers.

heh heh ^

i gotta say, back in the day their shit was hit or miss. (but always loved the box caps)

nowadays, it seems they're on some pretty tight shit.

Anyway, Cool Calm Pete (from Babbletron), i think he designs for them. A bunch of people though, i've heard it's not just a couple guys, do their shit. it's probably very loosely organized when it comes to that. they work with whoever, whenever. cut and sew, not sure.

but yo i just picked up this crewneck sweat on sale ($56) couple weeks back, it's black and real simple but with a giant screen of an attack dog's gnarly grill. it's fucking terrific.

and yeah i feel ya on how easy it is to hate on them, but i still get opin on most of their product, moves they make etc.

their bags are pretty ill too.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

Quote:

heh heh ^

i gotta say, back in the day their shit was hit or miss. (but always loved the box caps)

nowadays, it seems they're on some pretty tight shit.

Anyway, Cool Calm Pete (from Babbletron), i think he designs for them. A bunch of people though, i've heard it's not just a couple guys, do their shit. it's probably very loosely organized when it comes to that. they work with whoever, whenever. cut and sew, not sure.

but yo i just picked up this crewneck sweat on sale ($56) couple weeks back, it's black and real simple but with a giant screen of an attack dog's gnarly grill. it's fucking terrific.

and yeah i feel ya on how easy it is to hate on them, but i still get opin on most of their product, moves they make etc.

their bags are pretty ill too.

--- Original message by ABELnyc on Aug 24, 2005 11:18 PM

Cool Calm Petes Album is Fucking Dope...if you dont have it pick it up its called "Lost"

and supreme is ill...always come fresh..

"Brothers start to shake when i dig in the crates"

DCFTMC, I often wondered about who was behind all the designs too. Everything they put out gets so much exposure they gotta have some good people working on it. Every season seems like they're on a totally different slant to what other labels are doing - especially the tees...always unexpected. Even if you're not a fan, you're sure as hell gonna take a look and see what Supreme have brought out.

I think Garland Lynn of I Am Ecstatic did some of the designs a while back, definitely the print ads. Mass Appeal mag did a big article on Supreme a couple of years back, 5 or 6 pages on the people behind it with a big spread of the whole family outside the shop and interviewing a few key people. Maybe you can get a back copy through their website.

I agree with rhythmandsound, the quality of Supreme's gear beyond the box caps and tees is top-notch.

Does anyone else feel that box caps were better when they had the fat patch as opposed to the thin patch they use now?

I have a german flectar box cap that has the fat patch, and it's much better than the new box caps. They just seemed to fit better in the past.

NyM...

Quote: Does anyone else feel that box caps were better when they had the fat patch as opposed to the thin patch they use now?

Absolutely! The ones w/the raised border around the patch (and the paper 'fits all made in usa' tag at the back) had a diff't feel and fit. The fit itself was bigger/deeper and boxier, and the fabric on the front panel was double layered. Seems like they must've switched manufacturers end 2002/early 2003.

supreme will always be supreme...after all the hate, they'll still be here...after all the weak brands fall off, they'll still be here...they're major now, like it or not...they no longer need the dope collabs...they ARE the dope collabs...companies like stussy lay the groundwork, but supreme gave the scene life...and it was real...straight NY...no big company backing, no major marketing ploys, and little or no advertising...they did what they did and they'lll continue to do what they do...like everything else that blows up and gets bastardized (example: skateboarding) by mainstream culture, once they hype blows over, true heads will still be loyal... like eveyone else has said in this thread...it's easy to hate on what they do...but the more you're hated on, the harder you come correct...

Quote: Absolutely! The ones w/the raised border around the patch (and the paper 'fits all made in usa' tag at the back) had a diff't feel and fit. The fit itself was bigger/deeper and boxier, and the fabric on the front panel was double layered. Seems like they must've switched manufacturers end 2002/early 2003.

Yeah, the old hats were definitely deeper. I bought one of the 'Raindrop' box caps and it was so shallow, I felt like I was wearing a yamaka or something.

Plus the hats back then just had better designs. They were going crazy with the obscure camo patterns. Digital, bubble, etc. And then there was the comic book box cap that never really officialy got released. That was a dope hat!

Edited by eastcoastrider27 on Aug 25, 2005 at 08:39 AM

Quote:

supreme will always be supreme...after all the hate, they'll still be here...after all the weak brands fall off, they'll still be here...they're major now, like it or not...they no longer need the dope collabs...they ARE the dope collabs...companies like stussy lay the groundwork, but supreme gave the scene life...and it was real...straight NY...no big company backing, no major marketing ploys, and little or no advertising...they did what they did and they'lll continue to do what they do...like everything else that blows up and gets bastardized (example: skateboarding) by mainstream culture, once they hype blows over, true heads will still be loyal... like eveyone else has said in this thread...it's easy to hate on what they do...but the more you're hated on, the harder you come correct...

--- Original message by MyMindSpray on Aug 25, 2005 08:13 AM

WORD.

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

Quote: Yeah, the old hats were definitely deeper. I bought one of the 'Raindrop' box caps and it was so shallow, I felt like I was wearing a yamaka or something.

yeah i got the raindrop one when it first came out as well and that was when i first realized something had gone -totally- amiss. it's funny tho, grabbed another raindrop one on ebay for super cheap a while back and it fit a lot better. cut off the Supreme patch and that thing's hot...already says 'supreme' in the pattern anyway.

Quote: Plus the hats back then just had better designs. They were going crazy with the obscure camo patterns. Digital, bubble, etc. And then there was the comic book box cap that never really officialy got released. That was a dope hat!

yeah they were consistently coming w/the dope patterns and materials...wool houndstooth, animal prints, snakeskin prints (w/tabs instead of patches...wish they did that more often): very dope! Also the solid-color caps w/the smaller box patches were nice: wool herringbone, cotton herringbone, velour, ripstop, etc... ah well...

kings of new york. the ultimate lifestyle brand. First came the lifestyle, then the brand, then all of you losers riding their shit saying it sucks. You think they care about some "streetwear" head? Thats why they look at you like that when you go in there. They didn't hype shit, you hyped them.

"By the way nigga, how's your collar bone doing"

Edited by UnhappySupremeCustomer on Aug 25, 2005 at 09:49 AM

found this online...not sure if it still applies. (head designer at supreme, or once was)

"Eric Elms was born and raised in California where he first started doing street art under the name ADORN. He studied design at Pratt Institute and now works as a freelance designer, working and painting out of his studio based in Brooklyn NYC. Currently he is the head designer at the clothing/skateboard company SUPREME and has worked with such people as NIKE, Shepard Fairey, KAWS, SSUR, Kevin Lyons, 2K, aNYthing and co-founded the clothing brand PriceLe$$. Eric's work has been featured in such publications as Tokion, Relax, I.D., Mass Appeal,Â@BeingHunted, Book Magazine, Made Magazine and HUGE. His paintings and screen prints have been in shows in all over the world and he is now producing work for his first solo show entitled "Patterns Por Vida" that will be held at the Rocket Gallery in Tokyo on September 3rd, 2004. He is 23 years old."

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA