Top Ten Citys To Live In

Number87

Quote:

This is my first post and I am only 16 but I want to live all over the world. I am from michigan and it is super boring. So i want the top ten best citys to live in. Thanks. Peace.

--- Original message by Number87 on Jun 20, 2004 02:03 PM

i only want to live in four, and i am living/have lived in three already - you don't need 10 in my book:

paris - for the culture and the inspiration;

hong kong - when you need that adrenalin rush;

milan - because food and shopping there is just a lot of discovery and fun; and,

stockholm - when you need to feel that major contrast in life (long hot summer days and long freezing winter nights)

in all the above - music, fashion, and just the plain good ole life comes engulfing you with all the colours of the rainbow!

baby, we're all beautiful!

--isla maia

here's a list of 8 places ive stayed at in the past year. ranked.

1 tokyo

2 london

3 nyc

4 barcelona

5 san francisco

6 amsterdam

7 madrid

8 paris

The use of travelling is to regulate imagination by reality, and, instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are. - Samuel Johnson

Edited by edwin on Aug 1, 2004 at 11:20 AM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NOT AS WELL TRAVELED BUT IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

NYC...WELL IT'S JUST NYC

HK...FAKE EVERYTHING, IT'S THE BEST

TOKYO...MMM SAKE

SF...MMM BEARS I MEAN THE FOOD, THE FOOD.

VANCOUVER...CLEAN MODERN LIVING

LV...HOME, WHERE I LEARNED TO KICKFLIP

LA...WHERE ALL THE MONEY IS AT

PALM SPRINGS...GREAT PLACE TO RELAX

BEIRUT...MY FIRST CALL TO ACTIVE DUTY

IRAQ...203'S TEND TO GET CLOGGY AFTER A HEAVY DUSTSTORM

http://www.bushmaster.com/le/LE-M16-M203-Blue.jpg

SHIT IS WACK

• 2 weeks later...

no particular order -

NYC - you know why when u get there

Bangkok - good for traveling through.. few days. weeks, but i wouldn;t want to live there for a year or more

Seoul - love korean culture.. thier crazy.. mad food, Mad Soju, Mad shopping, Mad Culture. where else can you go shopping 24/7 (maybe tokyo) and the later you go the cheaper everything gets!!

Kuala Lumpore - i passed through here for a few days and it was pretty sweet.

Paris - aaah what a city. diffenently live here for years. toatally luv it!

Luang Prabang - in the middle of no where! so peaceful and relaxing...

i stll have to go to: london, tokyo, SF.. too many...

hey.. why nobody say LA? that place is huge.. but does it suck? there's mad stuff goin on there though, right?

• 3 weeks later...

NYC-nuff said..the mecca

San Diego-A place to retire

Seoul- Soju, Kalbi and Kim Chi for breakfast..what the f*&k!!...and not to mention the fine ass ladies!

Hong Kong- Aint nuttin like huntin down treasure

Las Vegas-Yeah Vegas and i dont even gamble..hot clubs and hot stores poppin up in the burbs.

Melbourne-For a small population this joint got clues...Sydney aint got nuttin on Melbourne.

Tokyo- Only been there for about a total of 10 days but got enuff of an idea that this place is insane...

LA- Need to know the hot spots and have made coin and connections but its still tight.. Santa Monica is poppin up with plenty of fresh clothes stores.

Busan- Ever visited a public restroom with a lcd screen on the back of the door? Forget the sci-fi movie crap take a visit to Busan...not to mention their cable speed which is just flippin absurd!

Tempe, Arizona- Go Sun Devils!

one life

NYC - "when the east is in the house"

LA - can't beat the weather and traffic ;)

Vancouver - whistler snowboarding all year round!

Toronto - new york meets LA on a safer/cleaner tip

Tokyo - where else can you find a vending machine full of odd shit just down the street from your pad?

• 1 month later...

NY - art + music + fashion + money

Tokyo - archi + music + fashion + girls

HK - girls + fashion + food

San Fran - just like it

n def not Singapore where i am at

post. www.post.fm

DESIGN. ART. MUSIC. LIFE.

London - Great combination of aristocrat and modernity, Great place to live in... if you can afford it.

Tokyo - For it's sheer hecticness...and .... weirdness..

These are the 2 I like the most... not going to list out 10....I would go for london

icon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gif

My principles....

1)be a good person

2)don't be a bad person

icon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gificon_smile_8ball.gif

in no order, I have a few...

NYC - for me, one of the all time great cities.

London - great ethnic mix, tolerant, eclectic, creative

Tokyo - odd, in the nicest, most fascinating way

Hong Kong - jewel of a city. Creative and efficient. Oxymoronic in so many ways.

Shanghai - woah it's swinging now.

Sydney - aussie girls, fusion cooking, heartstrings tugged.

Berlin - history, art

Amsterdam - pretty little place that I love.

Venice - like a fairytail creation. It's a miracle it stands, or floats at all. Too small and hot to spend all year in though.

Munich - London, Paris, New York, Munich, everybody loves Pop Muzik. Beer, girls, Oktoberfest.

Great food, great people in all.

Edited by ringring on Nov 13, 2004 at 09:32 AM

Has anyone here actually been to Shanghai? SO much hype about the city now especially since China entered the WTO and the construction of various highrises and the super magnificent F1 cirbuit ther. I'd love to make a trip there next year and would like to hear from anyone who's been there of their experiences. From what I heard it's a bit pricy...

I hate everything and everyone.

I have been to Shanghai. Pricey? I supposed it's more pricey than you imagine for a 'communist' city, but it isn't THAT bad. Hotels and hookers are expensive, but regular rent, food and clothing isn't bad at all. It's a city under fast metomorphosis. There's an energy that flows between the tortured colonial past and the thrusting new edifices. You can feel the buzz as you walk the city. Well worth a trip IMO, within the next 10 years, or sooner, Shanghai will become (again) one of the world's great cities.

yeh - shanghai. timewarp-a-rama. just got back yesterday - been there twice for total 5 weeks out of the past few months. definitely great place to explore. think bangkok and paris meets mexico city but deep frozen in time for 60 years and trying to catch up and outdo the rest of the planet... [maybe like tokyo was around 1964] best things: everything old. 1930s architecture, old french residential quarter, some of the city parks... worst things: most things new. bland new architecture, bland brand shopping, plus street culture doesn't really exist yet, service can be rotten [yes...remember that this is still a 'communist' country] shanghai will eventually be one of the best cities on earth...but not till around 2025. take the maglev from the airport. its also one of the cheapest city on earth if you live like chinese do...

probably better to continue to discuss this topic on:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=200

btw. we have just made an updated map of shanghai since the one on that post and will post it again.

superfutureshanghai.jpg

yeh - shanghai. timewarp-a-rama. just got back yesterday - been there twice for total 5 weeks out of the past few months. definitely great place to explore. think bangkok and paris meets mexico city but deep frozen in time for 60 years and trying to catch up and outdo the rest of the planet... [maybe like tokyo was around 1964] best things: everything old. 1930s architecture, old french residential quarter, some of the city parks... worst things: most things new. bland new architecture, bland brand shopping, plus street culture doesn't really exist yet, service can be rotten [yes...remember that this is still a 'communist' country] shanghai will eventually be one of the best cities on earth...but not till around 2025. take the maglev from the airport. its also one of the cheapest city on earth if you live like chinese do...

probably better to continue to discuss this topic on:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=200

btw. we have just made an updated map of shanghai since the one on that post and will post it again.

superfutureshanghai.jpg

--------------------------

superslave1

http://superfuture.com

yeah, that's what I was hoping for...IMO, I dun want the old charm i.e. The Bund, French and various colonialism to die off ever. I wanna go there to look at the contrasts and beauty of it...I don't need to go to another super high tech city...I could care less about that. What I want is weird contrasts and everlasting old charm from the architecture to the lifestyle etc. I'm not going there to go on a mindless shopping spree, I'm there to appreciate the scenes, to observe the people and habits etc. It's hard to explain...

Well, I guess as an artist I tend to appreciate these things better. I don't go to cities just to "look out for that dope ass shop/street with those dope ass clothes and stuff blah blah blah!" And spend all my money on some hard to find "dope ass shit" that's not even worth 1/4 of what I paid.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm definitely gonna watch my finances in the coming months!

I hate everything and everyone.

Best ten cities to live in 2005

(in order)

1. Pyongyang

2. Llublijana

3. San Francisco

4. Zurich

5. Montevideo

6. Bangkok

7. Tehran

8. Mexico City

9. Auckland

10. Reykjavik (again)

Worst ten cities to live in 2005

1. Shanghai

2. Shanghai

3. Shanghai

4. New York City

5. Los Angeles

6. Hong Kong

7. Paris

8. London

9. Tokyo

10. Sydney

I don't think it's that simple. Some places are nice but you don't want to live in them.

1. Places I've been to, and would live in:

NYC

Venice

Paris

HK

Bangkok

Sydney

Lausanne

Lyon (only because I know what it's like to live there)

2. Places I would probably live in, but haven't been there yet:

Tokyo

Madrid

Rome

Berlin

Florianopolis, Rio, Sao Paulo... (dreams of Brasil)

... probably more

3. Places I don't necessarily hate but where I couldn't live, or don't like living:

Melbourne

London

Milano

Zürich

Geneva (great in summer though)

Barcelona

yes, SHANGHAI, now i live in this crazy city after i wondered around NYC, southern cali and Tokyo. i love it! still need time to become a great cosmopolitan city with good street culture, but everything has a start. i see good potencials here for few several years. Shanghai in People's Republic of China is just like as what New York to United States of America. it is international and not quite "China". it is so to say in a bubble. although "freedom in speech" is limited for locals, they have free to do their business, and you know, they are chinese, they are born to be do business. economic is boosting and pace is fast. for us expats it is easier to do business than other chinese city for sure. yes, it is cheep to live when we live like chinese locals, i mean, i like the fact that we have choices in spending money! unlike superexpensive cities like tokyo or london. so you can spend less money if you know how to and i think it is great! the best season is autumn with yellow leaves in street trees. the 1920-30's former french concession is very romantic. we are getting more and more nice outing places like reopened bar/club "mint" (former La Belle) and etc... I saw the map in superfuture and it misses a lot of nice places of this great city.... how i can contribute here?

my personal choice of great cities in the world to live (no ranking)

-Shanghai

-San Francisco/Berkeley (beautiful combination of city life and nature)

-Sydney (great sun, beaches, liberal automosphere)

-Kuala Lumpur (great food, colourful cultures, becoming cosmopolitan)

-Hong Kong (love HK island...bit too hectic)

-Montreal, Quebec of Canada (chilled out city, beautiful)

-Kanazawa, Japan (one of small kyotos, tiny but hip with fine japanese culture)

-Georgetown of Pulau Pinang, Malaysia (cute town with great forest and beaches)

-New York/Brooklyn (blkn the house!)

-Los Feliz of Los Angeles (down to earth, can access hills and beaches)

-Tokyo/Yokohama (where i was born and grow up)

-Barcelona (have nt been but heard great things about it...)

-Rio De Janeiro (have nt been but i wont be back if i go there...hahaha)

shantinous:Dshanghai icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif