Shanghai or Taipei?

jienster

i'm planning my end of the year holidays so i need some help from you peeps.

are there any good shoppings for streetwear (ie, supreme, nbhd,etc) in shanghai? I've seen the shopping guides for Taipei but i can't find much info on Shanghai. Not reali interested in the pubs/bars. Just shopping (mainly streetwear) and nice food.

Thanks in advance :)

well..must head to taipei..if u seeking for some hype stuff...taipei got some nice resell stores, food for sure....

head to some night market to taste the best taiwanese food for sure.

visit BWS, Undercover + Martin Margiela, and Apery (nbhd + visvim all kinda of japanese street wear) and i heard they got CDG and DH too

for shopping go to hk. for food either taipei or shanghai are pretty good. they are completely different styles and im more partial to taiwanese though (probably cus i grew up eating it)

if you have enought time, i would say shanghai, i mean, they dont exactly have street wear there but there are some very interested place to visit, for instance there is a place called Shin-Ten-Di the place is built from the old chinese house and such in side you will find some chic restaruant, flag ship stores, club and such, and there are alot of new mall they just just built inside you will have some intesrtig find as well.

with taipei, you will most likely finish in about 4 days thats for sure. with china, you could take a fly to hong kong on your way out of the country and you will see more and do more thats for sure.

taipei

at xing men ding they have a couple "streetwear" stores

these store have a more asian style to their clothes..

some labels i can recall like tastemaker... overkill... remix... and etc...

one label i advise againist

some shit called "sexy diamond" it like a mix of the streetwear we have here. except its a lot worse...

also hit up undercover?? been there once but too expensive for me.

shanghai's streetwear scene exists. its just that most of it is faked stuff. having lived in shanghai for a year, i think there are few interesting stores and next to none for the labels you mentioned. the best store is probably I.T. and incidentally they come from HK as well. This was circa 05/06.

in more recent times, i think a DH store opened in shanghai as well as some other higher end labels.

from what you say, i think HK or Taipei sounds a good bet.

Taipei must definitely be better for shopping than Shanghai. For clubbing Shanghai is better. Shanghai has a shit load of international food/restaurant.

haha Taipei also got some goods club too ok?

haha

Room 18, luxy...whatever u can call..

but for food...for sure Taipei..if u don't mind take some times head south of taiwan

u can taste some real taiwanese food...

Go to Taipei for the shopping and cheap nightmarket eats. Drinking and clubbing in Taipei are great too.

Shanghai has ok shopping and really sweet higher end restaurants. Decent nightlife scene as well.

I think most people you talk to would say Taipei is better for shopping. The food and nightlife just depends on what you like more... imho Shanghai just isn't at the level of Taipei, Seoul or HK yet. Obviously nothing compares to Tokyo!

I never said Taipei didn`t have good clubs, relax man. I am just saying Shanghai is a much more dynamic city than Taipei right now in every aspects, and clubbing is definitely one of them.

true...shanghai also have some nice view at night too, romantic shit

Go to Taipei for the shopping and cheap nightmarket eats. Drinking and clubbing in Taipei are great too.

Shanghai has ok shopping and really sweet higher end restaurants. Decent nightlife scene as well.

I think most people you talk to would say Taipei is better for shopping. The food and nightlife just depends on what you like more... imho Shanghai just isn't at the level of Taipei, Seoul or HK yet. Obviously nothing compares to Tokyo!

nightmarket for sure, whoever goes to Taiwan have to check out nightmarket

either food or rip off fakes....great stuff and people....

^that neighborhood around Luxy (behind zhongxiao dong lu) is gold for shopping.

get off at skytrain no.7 gate....will be around zhongxiao dong area..

• 4 weeks later...

Luxy is kind of shitty now mostly 30+ crowd and gold diggers. I'd suggest Room 18 or other clubs seeing as most of them are open bar you just have to pay for the cover charge. the MRT which is their subway system can take you anywhere you need to go and it is faily cheap. Pretty much .50-$1 US can take you anywhere you wanna go.

If you are looking for streetwear it is BIG in taiwan now. They have x-large,Undercover,Apery, Stage... and so forth.

The food is to die for of course! everywhere you go there will be a drink shop or some kind of food stand for REAL CHEAP!

Some retaurants that are all over Tapei that i recommend checking out are:

-If there is a restaurant or food stand that has lots of people lining up DEFINITELY WORTH the WAIT Taiwanese love food and they will wait as long as possible to eat it.

-Tasty

-Cafe Grazie (not sure if that is the right spelling you'll see it though)

-Shi Ling night Market

-Xi men Ding (a lot of it is crowded with high schoolers if you feel like some OMC steez)

-Zong xiao fujing (not sure on the spelling)

Luxy is kind of shitty now mostly 30+ crowd and gold diggers. I'd suggest Room 18 or other clubs seeing as most of them are open bar you just have to pay for the cover charge. the MRT which is their subway system can take you anywhere you need to go and it is faily cheap. Pretty much .50-$1 US can take you anywhere you wanna go.

If you are looking for streetwear it is BIG in taiwan now. They have x-large,Undercover,Apery, Stage... and so forth.

The food is to die for of course! everywhere you go there will be a drink shop or some kind of food stand for REAL CHEAP!

-If there is a restaurant or food stand that has lots of people lining up DEFINITELY WORTH the WAIT Taiwanese love food and they will wait as long as possible to eat it.

-Tasty

-Shi Ling night Market

-Xi men Ding (a lot of it is crowded with high schoolers if you feel like some OMC steez)

for sure ..Room 18 is now better than luxy...luxy is getting old crowd and shit...

for shopping...Apery is a store that have various japanese brands imported from Tokyo. where provides most of the taiwanese star street wear.(they carry undercover, visvim, headport, ape, fenom, fragment stuff...etc)

food.....plz do try them....

Xi men ding..for high school and OMC steez....

shi lin night market for sure worth to try....you can see the true taiwanese culture...

zong xiao fu xing...got some more modern shit for ya....and department store..as i remembered.."SOGO"!

The Shanghai streetwear scene is fast developing with a number of places opening up in the past year. It is not HK or Tokyo, but it should not be discounted if you are prepared to mix your seacrh for streetwear together with a heavy dose of what Shanghai has to offer, especially with some new clubs opening up.

Depending on how much time you have, you could probably knock out the streetwear in 2 days and then explore this interesting place.

Shops to look out for:

Source - www.thesource.cn - an emporium of global street brands including Addict, Alife, Y2K, Ksubi, limted sneaks in a 2 story shoe tower etc etc - check the site for full brand listing.

ACU - small store featuring visvim and super premium limited Nikes, and ther NYC brands

ENO - local label featuring genuinely original shanghai design - heavy ongraphics

The Thing - local designers, very affordable and cool, few stores.

The Gloss - at Xintiandi (not Shintendi)

and actually quite a bit more, including the expensive IT chain.

The places to visit are Xinle Lu and Changle Lu.

New clubs opening up include the Shelter - a former bomb shelter run by DJs not wack club promoters so the emphasis is on quality beats across all styles.

Definitely well worth a visit. Come and play!

Evonzz

(Shanghai superguide editor)

in SHanghai these days at AZ shop on Changle Lu :

buy one 20% off

buy 2 30% off

buy 3 50% off

From real stuff directly from factories...United Arrows, Beams, american Rag Cie, Journal Standard.....Fuck I bought 3 United Arrows clothes (1 peacoat, + 1 jacket + 1 hoodie.....2500rmb which is 330$, 230euros and normal price in Japan would have been for these 3 items: 165.000yen....1500$ or 1000euros...FUCK ME !!!!!!!!!)

GO ! The sales is the 1st since 3 year !!!

buy one 20% off

buy 2 30% off

buy 3 50% off

From real stuff directly from factories...United Arrows, Beams, american Rag Cie, Journal Standard.....Fuck I bought 3 United Arrows clothes (1 peacoat, + 1 jacket + 1 hoodie.....2500rmb which is 330$, 230euros and normal price in Japan would have been for these 3 items: 165.000yen....1500$ or 1000euros...FUCK ME !!!!!!!!!)

ya but those directly from factories products are always the one, didn't past the quality control and assurence test. or sometimes they are without tags.

chinese just "un-linenced" selling them in the store. u can even get the paul smith Japanese line sometimes....

pretty cool...shanghai is da new hypebeast city!

You`re right about them not passing Quality tests...but come one, you can`t even notice any problems. japanese are too much onto quality which make them refusing some products because one stitch is out.....and yes they don`t have tags or they are cut.

Still the deal !

-Tasty

-Shi Ling night Market

I'm gonna be there for xmas... what's the top 3 牛肉麵 (niu ro mien) joints these days?

buy one 20% off

buy 2 30% off

buy 3 50% off

how long is this sale going on for?? my friend is heading to shanghai in about a week and i wanna see if he can pick up some stuff for me.

are there any other specific stores or streets or areas that sell factory seconds???