control.

Most people who wear those t's are wearing them in protest.

i actually think that most people who wear those t's have/had no idea the significance beyond a graphic on a supreme, etc. t-shirt. ;)

btw...its me JT neg repped me because of this thread. i think he's one of those people...apparently he likes justin timberlake (JT???!!!) and anything that is spoon fed to him by the NME (strokes, pigeon detectives, maccabees....help me out, JT...who else does the NME say is cool now???).

some of the dialog was..m'eh and the film plus its fans took it too seriously. but over all it was ok/good.

-sam riley...wooo +1 for the ladies. ;)

-suprisingly funnier than expected.

-best bits are from their manager.

Riley's performance, +rep.

also:

- Ian's Belgian mistress

- cracks on the Buzzcocks

- live venue scenes

- how "Atmosphere" kicked in after Debbie discovers Ian's body

as someone who knows very little about joy division, i think this was a pretty great film. JD wasnt on my radar til about a year ago and ive tried not to get cuaght up in the hype that they are getting in elitist circles. that said, i saw the movie because im kinda geekin out on a) black and white films and B) british accents. the cinematography was good and the story was really effective. leavign the theatre, alot of people were complaining that ian was not a likable character. i loved that he was a mostly loathable human, but a very convincing genuis. i thought that duality was executed really well. and the soundtrack got me interested in their music so im going to join the party way late and check out some records.

• 2 weeks later...

When 'Atmosphere' started playing, i'll be honest, I almost got a little misty. You could definitely tell Debbie's part in writing it, as Ian was colder than cold to her.

-Sam Riley was awesome; also thanks to IMDB, I found out he is dating the actress that played Annik

-Also props to the Ian dance move impersonation by Sam Riley

-The guys that played the members of JD apparantly played the songs in the film according to the music credits

-The Killers cover in the credits made me want to barf

JD wasnt on my radar til about a year ago and ive tried not to get cuaght up in the hype that they are getting in elitist circles.

durhhhhhhhh?

is there something i'm missing here? elitists hyping up Joy Division? it's not 1978 (or 2001).

i felt lame for not knowing about them until i saw 24 Hour Party people, and that was like 5 years ago. lah.

i dont know, im slow to pick up on punk. i just bought my first clash record about two years ago. i saw the unknown pleasures t shirts and still didnt know who they were, and when i found out, it seemed to trendy to mean anything. the movie is what exposed me to the music. admittedly, i was avoiding it because i figured it would be useless, but i was wrong. i boght the record and its brilliant.

It is an instant classic, but not because it was an excellent movie, but purely on the merits of Ian's story and the slick recreation of Manchester's scene in the late 70s. For me the crushing reality of the story and the perfectly executed aesthetic were more affecting than the actual narrative or the actors performances (with a few exceptions in Sam Riley and Toby Kebbell).