Superfuture Boxing Fans?

Leonard Leroy

• 4 weeks later...
Posted · Hidden by High Monika, February 28, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by High Monika, February 28, 2012 - No reason given

^hahaha holy shit.

The Vasquez/Arce undercard was awesome. About 1000x better than the main event. Mosley backed away almost the entire fight looking for a counter opportunity. Pacquiao may have wanted the knockout causing a more forward approach to his style but it didn't matter either way - at one point Mosley was backing up so fast Pacqiao had to jump/shuffle sideways just to catch up. The announcers were pretty harsh about calling Mosley out.

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm wearing a Flyers jersey in the ring -- that tells you I'm trying to be friends with the fans? The fans are going to be my friends when they watch the fight. You know anyone 40 and up is going to be hollering and screaming for me. I don't care if they're Canadians or where they come from."

• 2 weeks later...

amir khan and zab judah on july 23

zab didn't look good in his last 2 fights. he's lost his slickness in the past few years. both of them have fast hands, but khan can string together combos. i'm rooting for khan. it should be a good fight

margarito/cotto next month too. since cotto's a light middleweight now, i'd like to see a martinez/cotto match. i'm still not sold on sergio martinez, but i think it'll be a better matchup than margarito/martinez

• 4 weeks later...

"From sources that told me, they said that people in the Pacquiao camp sent a couple of emails to the Mayweather camp a few weeks ago, about 2-3 weeks ago, and the first email was 'What would the penalty be if our guy tested positive?' and the second e-mail was 'If he did test positive, could we keep this a secret for the benefit of boxing?'" - Teddy Atlas, 1/08/10

• 3 weeks later...

mayweather/pacquiao sounds good on paper, but i got a feeling it'll be a let down if it ever comes to fruition

floyd is a really good inside boxer that masquerades as an outside boxer. manny does his best work on the inside with all those close range punches, but i think floyd's strong defense and slickness will outwork manny in the pocket.

and floyd knows how to straight up dirty box and get away with it. remember in the mosley fight whenever they tied up, floyd kept holding and pushing down on the back of mosley's head, effectively wearing him down and making it difficult for mosley to land anything on the inside?

or in the 1st castillo fight, floyd would push his forearm/elbow against castillo to create space and land short punches on the inside. i think he got caught in that fight for using his elbow and got a point deducted for it, but he still kept on doing it.

mayweather/pacquiao sounds good on paper, but i got a feeling it'll be a let down if it ever comes to fruition

floyd is a really good inside boxer that masquerades as an outside boxer. manny does his best work on the inside with all those close range punches, but i think floyd's strong defense and slickness will outwork manny in the pocket.

and floyd knows how to straight up dirty box and get away with it. remember in the mosley fight whenever they tied up, floyd kept holding and pushing down on the back of mosley's head, effectively wearing him down and making it difficult for mosley to land anything on the inside?

or in the 1st castillo fight, floyd would push his forearm/elbow against castillo to create space and land short punches on the inside. i think he got caught in that fight for using his elbow and got a point deducted for it, but he still kept on doing it.

Smart assessment of Mayweather, who does have the advantage, big one, size and style wise

but Manny is more of a mid-range fighter, a la Tyson. Tyson was a shit inside fighter who languished inside a good clinch.

Manny, like Tyson, prefers having room to lunge and put momentum into his straight punches. Manny likes to leap a lot. Manny's best punches are straight punches. He jumps out of the pocket, he stays out of the inside range.

you're right, manny is a mid-range fighter that likes to jump in and out. he tends to take the most damage when he's on the inside cause he likes to brawl.

from what i remeber, floyd had some trouble with zab early in their fight. zab would jump in, land a body shot or two, and jump back out.

I honestly don't give a fuck. The whole matter has been mired in bullshit on both sides that I don't care to dig through the bullshit.

My opinion? He might be using. He might not. The man also promotes the obnoxious theocracy, the Catholic destruction in Phillippines as a politician, I fucking hate it.

But as a boxing fan, the man has given me good fights to watch consistently (although the well is drying up), and he always gives it his all. This supercedes my doubts.

"From sources that told me, they said that people in the Pacquiao camp sent a couple of emails to the Mayweather camp a few weeks ago, about 2-3 weeks ago, and the first email was 'What would the penalty be if our guy tested positive?' and the second e-mail was 'If he did test positive, could we keep this a secret for the benefit of boxing?'" - Teddy Atlas, 1/08/10

By the way, Teddy Atlas was never able to produce his source or these emails. He retracted this statement formally because it was unsubstantiated. He was called out on producing rumor as reportage, and he took a backstep. He might have his connections, but in the end, it was the same as a random article from any boxing site looking for hits.

There was a lot of discussion about what this exchange meant (are the lawyers following protocol? covering their bases? is manny really juicing) then Atlas retracted the statement.

I'm jaded about discussing Pacquiao and Mayweather. Its frustrating, there's no sure thing, there's nothing fun to discuss except for what happens when the two step into the ring. And even then, all that discussion has been covered.

what do you guys think about sergio martinez? i thought he was overrated but after rewatching his last couple of fights, i'm a fan. i don't see him dominating the divison for long though. he's getting older and his defensive speed and reflexes will eventually fade ie roy jones.