Washing without water - air wash

jens

Washing without water... sounds good for dry denims!

Check this out:

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertext4-eng/0602/0202-1e.html

"Air Wash’ function that enables easy disinfection & deodorization*3 of clothes without using water, by utilizing the power of air at home. ‘Air Wash’, injects air combined with Ozone on the articles inside the drum, and is able to disinfect & deodorize*3 in about a 30 minute process. The Ozone that is injected inside the drum decomposes odors and bacteria and then goes back into the air.

This washing machine is ideal for situations such as 1. Wanting to deodorize without washing, 2. Disinfect without washing, 3. Not wanting to wash the item right away, 4. Easily wash the item and 5. Cannot wash in water. Also it is shown to be effective for countering pollen and odors of pets. For clothing and small objects that would normally lose their shape with the tumbling action of the drum, this new washing machine enables operation by setting these items on a shelf inside the drum."

You could even wash your shoes, even the non-converse or sneaker types (I just regular wash those...) in this thing. Or put your jeans in on the non-tumbeling function and keep your original creases.

Offcourse it's only availiable in Japan and costs 250.000 yen... But hey, U don't hav to buy washing powder anymore... and it saves on water too.

So who's gonna volunteer and try this?

Wouldn't that be the same as hanging something on the line outside then? 250,000 yen cheaper too!:D

and it would probably save you a huge ammount of space at home... some times i just dont understand japanese people...

I have a small air ozonator I bought because of severe allergies. I run it in my bedroom once a week for about 6 hours (while staying out of my room), then air the room out with the windows open. It's amazing how nice my clothes smell after the ozonation. I suspect it adds quite a bit of wear between washes. Whether I'd want to pay 12 times what I paid for my ozonator to be able to put my clothes on a shelf one item at a time is another issue entirely.

I have a small air ozonator I bought because of severe allergies. I run it in my bedroom once a week for about 6 hours (while staying out of my room), then air the room out with the windows open. It's amazing how nice my clothes smell after the ozonation. I suspect it adds quite a bit of wear between washes. Whether I'd want to pay 12 times what I paid for my ozonator to be able to put my clothes on a shelf one item at a time is another issue entirely.

Is an ozonator the same as an ionizer?

Is an ozonator the same as an ionizer?

No. I'm not entirely clear on the behavior of ionizers. I think (and this is guesswork, I'm not really qualified) ionizers manage to electrically charge one of the kinds of gas particles that pass through them to bind to particulate matter? Or, they charge the blades inside the ionizer to attract particulate in the air? I'm not sure.

Ozonators are much more, errr serious. When running one in my room, I need to stay out because of potential damage (necrosis or something, again unqualified) to my lung tissue if I breath highly ozonated air. I believe ozonators are designed to manufacture both O3 and O6 or something, and one of them is super destructive.

Wish I knew what was going on, I just do as my doctor told me here. It seems to work.

No. I'm not entirely clear on the behavior of ionizers. I think (and this is guesswork, I'm not really qualified) ionizers manage to electrically charge one of the kinds of gas particles that pass through them to bind to particulate matter? Or, they charge the blades inside the ionizer to attract particulate in the air? I'm not sure.

Ozonators are much more, errr serious. When running one in my room, I need to stay out because of potential damage (necrosis or something, again unqualified) to my lung tissue if I breath highly ozonated air. I believe ozonators are designed to manufacture both O3 and O6 or something, and one of them is super destructive.

Wish I knew what was going on, I just do as my doctor told me here. It seems to work.

Ha...I guess they wouldn't be if Sharper Image sells them...apparently they do produce ozone (probably in minute quantities). I always wondered if they actually did anything.

its actually quite simple..

ozone is a normal oxygen molecule combined with an extra oxygen, this makes the three-oxygen molecule unstable, and therefore it will oxidate with everything oxidizable.. this oxidation process is what kills the bacteria and gets rid of the smell.. once one of the oxygen atom has left the ozone molecule, it turns into normal oxygen and is therefore not dangerous once the process is done..

ozone is known to be the most oxidating molecule know to chemists and it could possibly do harm to other people aswell...

O6 on the other hand is a lot more complicated.. All i know about this is that you find O6 in guanine, and when methylatet (the arrival of at methyl-group), methylguanine can be highly cytotixic (can cause cellular damage)...

this post is from TAKASHI-san's forum:

はじめまして、何時も楽しく拝見させてもらってます。

エアーウォッシュ(オゾンで消臭、殺菌する機能)が付いた奴なら使用してます。

1日中ジーンズを履く事が出来る仕事なのですが、会社で臭い匂いをさせる訳にもいかないので(すでに40代半ばですので、周りはの目も気になりますのし(笑))もともと洗濯は頻繁にするほうだったのですが、エアーウォッシュを使うようになって洗濯頻度は少なくなりました。

どれくらい効果があるかは個人の感覚によるとは思いますが、今まで2週間が限界だったのが、状況にもよりますが1月は履けるようになりました。

私個人の感覚としては、30分のエアーウォッシュで1日の日干し位の効果はあるのではと思います。

it says he works at a place where he could wear his denim all day. but because he's nervous about being around his co-workers in smelly jeans, using air-wash machines have been very helpful to him.

according to this guy masa, he used to have to wash his jeans every two weeks. but now, by air-washing his jeans every five days or so, he can go without a wet-wash for en entire month. he estimates a 30-minute air-wash is equivalent to hanging his jeans in the sun for a day.

i also asked him about the color fades and he doesn't think there's anything noticeable from air-washing.