tech/math/grind saved my life

Double D

I figured I gathered enough lovers of technical hardcore/grind/death to warrant this topic.

So for you people who love nothing more than gloriously fucking loud shit interspersed with jazz riffs in 7/4, post your recommendations and throw some shit out there. In case you don't know the drill yet, I'm talking about shit like The Red Chord, DEP, Converge, Into The Moat, From A Second Story Window, Ion Dissonance, Burnt By The Sun, A Life Once Lost, Between The Buried And Me... you can fill the rest in for yourselves.

Seeing as I've started this topic, here's some local shit for you fellows to check out:

Rolo Tomassi (http://www.myspace.com/rolotomassi) - Calculating Infinity riffs, batshit loud vocals from a tiny blonde woman, synthesizer mayhem.

Chronicles of Adam West (http://www.myspace.com/coaw) - Sadly departed, angry, frenetic and technical hardcore with a live show that made Converge sound like a bunch of whinging girl's blouses.

Architects (http://www.myspace.com/architectsuk) - Hometown heroes, who since the departure of Sikth from the scene look to become the flag-fliers for British technical metal and hardcore.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured I gathered enough lovers of technical hardcore/grind/death to warrant this topic.

So for you people who love nothing more than gloriously fucking loud shit interspersed with jazz riffs in 7/4, post your recommendations and throw some shit out there. In case you don't know the drill yet, I'm talking about shit like The Red Chord, DEP, Converge, Into The Moat, From A Second Story Window, Ion Dissonance, Burnt By The Sun, A Life Once Lost, Between The Buried And Me... you can fill the rest in for yourselves.

Seeing as I've started this topic, here's some local shit for you fellows to check out:

Rolo Tomassi (http://www.myspace.com/rolotomassi) - Calculating Infinity riffs, batshit loud vocals from a tiny blonde woman, synthesizer mayhem.

Chronicles of Adam West (http://www.myspace.com/coaw) - Sadly departed, angry, frenetic and technical hardcore with a live show that made Converge sound like a bunch of whinging girl's blouses.

Architects (http://www.myspace.com/architectsuk) - Hometown heroes, who since the departure of Sikth from the scene look to become the flag-fliers for British technical metal and hardcore.

i loved the earlier dillinger escape plan stuff, it was mad.

rolo tomassi are mad.

Mathcore or Math rock? Lol.

Would I be wrong to say Craw or Dazzling Killmen in this thread? Or Neurosis?

neurosis are amazing but i think they would be classed as something likee post-metal, or experimental metal or something, similar sort of stuff to isis and pelican. they're different to the sorts of bands listed.

on a more Death tip - Beneath the Massacre are pretty tech to these ears, as are the earlier Despised Icon records and Neuraxis for that matter.

Its all about Canada for death metal in my eyes.

Aye, BTM fucking cane it.

Despised Icon I find a little too much on the bland deathcore kind of side in comparison to other bands of their ilk... plus the 'ree ree' inhaling vocals get really damn tired after 2 songs.

Despised Icon I find a little too much on the bland deathcore kind of side in comparison to other bands of their ilk...

the newer stuff really falls into that pattern and its (cliche) shame because the earlier records and split with Bodies in the Gears of The Apparatus is pretty tastey.

plus the 'ree ree' inhaling vocals get really damn tired after 2 songs.

its time and place passed VERY quickly for the entire genre i think.

Does early Candiria count as tech/math/grind? Their early stuff blew my mind, and it was even more amazing to see them live, smoking blunts onstage like Cypress Hill and then remembering these incredibly technical songs with 50 random parts slammed together.

I like Meshuggah too.

I've got a ticket to go see DEP/Meshuggah play soon.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to come back in a bodybag/with broken bones.

..it'll be worth it though.

Except Meshuggah aren't playing it anymore. Supposedly Every Time I Die and Converge are going to be the 2 unnamed bands on the bills.

Shame Envy are playing Brighton on the same day, otherwise we could have supermet at the Astoria and you could have kicked my ass.

I recommend early Dillinger Escape Plan and Knut. Better yet, see Dillinger live, the sounds that come out of Puciato are unreal. Back in 2000 Mike Patton used to sound like a banshee and looked like he was ready to kill people on-stage. Puciato is no Patton, but very close.

Watching Ben Weinman of Dillinger shred is a trip in itself. He can produce some of the most complex time-signatures that you have to see to believe. You just honestly want to stop and watch him make ludicrous noise out of a six-string.

Knut convinced me that Swiss people are anything less than neutral and have a lot of pent-up rage in them. Their releases: "Challenger" and "Terraformer" are worthy pick-ups.

GOOD THREAD.

i just saw the red chord this saturday with cannibal corpse, black dahlia murder, and the absence. not many people were into them, but what do you expect from a room packed full of assholes who were only there for cannibal corpse. dillinger escape plan is awesome, i'm kind of excited for the new album, but not that much. i'm hopefully going to see converge soon at the oakland metro with 108 and internal affairs.

as for other bands, i used to be into all the bands listed above, (btbam, into the moat, FASSW, the locust) but i dont listen to them a lot anymore.

^ Converge? for realz?

that's even better. I couldn't make it to the last converge gig. forget why. I think I was too pussy.

If it's anything like the last tour, it'll be full of Kerrang-reading skidmarks upon humanity who have no idea how to behave at a hardcore gig.

Times like that make me wish I lived in the tristate region. Actually, the general ridiculous quantity of awesome gigs makes me want to live in the tristate, end of.

yeah seriously, i heard during the saddest day the whole pit is just a giant fight.
They refused to play that shit last time I saw them because the place was packed and someone was bound to get killed.
I went to a lot of DEP shows back in the pre-light show days. Do they still do that? I haven't seen/heard anything from them in a long time. I still consider Puciato to be the new guy.

Not really, they cut back on a lot of that gimmicky stuff and just rip shit apart now and days. Pennie left the band for fucking Coheed and Cambria, which will be a major blow to the band; although the new guy is pretty talented.

Its all about Canada for death metal in my eyes.

theres so many good heavy bands coming out of canada....

I recommend early Dillinger Escape Plan and Knut. Better yet, see Dillinger live, the sounds that come out of Puciato are unreal. Back in 2000 Mike Patton used to sound like a banshee and looked like he was ready to kill people on-stage. Puciato is no Patton, but very close.

Watching Ben Weinman of Dillinger shred is a trip in itself. He can produce some of the most complex time-signatures that you have to see to believe. You just honestly want to stop and watch him make ludicrous noise out of a six-string.

Knut convinced me that Swiss people are anything less than neutral and have a lot of pent-up rage in them. Their releases: "Challenger" and "Terraformer" are worthy pick-ups.

knut are dope.....anything on hydrahead is guaranteed to be good....very few labels fall into that category.

puciato cuts a fucking intimidating figure on stage.....he is built like a brick shithouse. i wasnt so sure about him at first, but having heard DEP's last record, and having seen them twice with him, i am convinced he is more than up to the task of fronting that band.

as for the dillinger guitarists.....yes - the stuff they are playing is bullshit. no questions about that. but the thing that gets me is the fact that they are jumping all over the fucking place, flailing limbs everywhere, and they still nail those riffs every time. it really has to be seen to be believed.

yeah seriously, i heard during the saddest day the whole pit is just a giant fight.

they played 'the saddest day' as their encore here in perth in march.....holy shit :eek:

although they are perhaps slightly past their prime (jane doe is as close to a perfect album as you'll get imo), converge are timeless....masters of their own craft and the reason so many bands exist today. they are all awesome dudes too, so friendly and willing to talk. nate is a crazy bastard.

i can't believe i'm the first person to mention gorguts in this thread

gorguts is awesome, that's more in the realms of death metal though imo. but if we're into techy metal, i love origin, psycroptic, necrophagist (even if they are guitar-wanky, awesome tech death metal) and i could even mention animosity if you're talking about grindy death metal.

gorguts is awesome, that's more in the realms of death metal though imo. but if we're into techy metal, i love origin, psycroptic, necrophagist (even if they are guitar-wanky, awesome tech death metal) and i could even mention animosity if you're talking about grindy death metal.

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

we played with psycroptic a couple times....it weirded the fuck out of me when i saw their guitarist rocking a strat with single coil pickups. :eek:

suffocation anyone....?