Brands 5-10 years from now

clintyclint

Well sooner or later (most likely later) this huge denim market is going to crash, and once it does, a lot of companies that solely rely on denim to survive are going to fail.

However, I feel Diesel will weather any denim crash and of course BAPE. Both of them have diverse product lines and very strong branding/lovemarks. Furthermore, I feel they both need to continue to push the envelope to survive. BAPE, I feel is starting to get repetitive and needs to experiment more.

Both of course are mainstream and definitely looked down upon by the majority of the users here…does anybody here believe any non-mainstream brands will continue to survive in the next 5-10 years?

Edited by w_y on Jul 28, 2005 at 10:45 AM

Quote: That G Unit S Carter every other fuckin raper Reebok shit wont be that's for sure.

True, those are weak brands. Reebok's current focus on hip-hop in its most comical sense will not be remembered fondly by the people who romanticize the 80s and the informal ties between shoe companies and hip-hop.

There are a lot of good 'streetwear' companies out now that have already been around since the early to mid-nineties. Most of them are going strong. However, any of the hundreds of t-shirt brands that have started up in the last year are going to fade away sooner than later.

Quote: That G Unit S Carter every other fuckin raper Reebok shit wont be that's for sure.

Those brands are definitely weak. Reebok's current focus on hip-hop in the most comical sense will not be remembered fondly like people romanticize the 80s and the informal ties between hip-hop and shoe companies.

Many of the 'streetwear' companies that started in the early to mid-nineties will still be around. As long as they stay on top of things and don't fall off like Stussy did little while ago, they should be fine. Be consistent and keep it fresh. And control distribution!

by then, all the hype over bape will die off, but bape itself won't die. and those hip-hoppers will start humping on other japanese brands like wtaps, neighborhood or fiberops..... lol, dont take my words seriously

hopefully seven jeans, pdc, true religion and friends will die by then

Edited by hahnstch on Jul 28, 2005 at 07:10 PM

consumers are so damn picky, i wouldn't be suprised to see all this switch up. remember sweet rolled jeans and baggy button tops?

i stick with the 8 standards, screw the rest.

1) relaxed levis.

2) brown leather belt.

3) casual brown shoes with laces.

4) white button down.

5) white tee.

6) silver watch with minimal face.

7) soft cotton boxer shorts.

8) white above the ankle socks.

you will never go wrong, and always get the girl/guy/cover photo/whatever. they're staples. the rest is filler.

it's a pretty safe bet all the big players are gonna be around for many years.....

i think the better question is what's the direction fashion is gonna head the next 5-10 years?

the hip hop market has exploded, so what's the next sub-culture to make an impact on streetwear?

MyPalTheCook is right on the money...bape won't die...i predict that it will find it's footing over the next few years and redirect itself...stussy suffered simliar fate during the mid nineties but revived itself with stronger seasonal collections and a refocus of direction...bape will do the same...

i think the heavy hitters will stay strong...stussy and FJ have proved that they can survive through various trends...Supreme will do it's thing...they never asked to be as huge as they are, so they'll make it through downcycles...

midrange companies with questionable credibility such as Gravis, i'm not so convinced...i think they're gonna feel the pinch...in my opinion, MHI falls in this category, although the more extensive "Maharishi" brand will steady the overall blow...

i'd hate to say it (since i'm a huge fan), but denim houses such as Rogan will struggle with their collections over the next couple of years...i'll be interested to see what Gregory Rogan does once the "distressed" looks dies down since distressing has been his bread and butter...for years...he's a great designer, but he'll have to adjust his approach...that being said, for some reason, i have a feeling that a company such as Nudie will have greater longevity...just a hunch...

overall, i think "street" culture and fashion has taken steps in the right direction...it's hard staying focused (see Modern Amusement), but moving towards a more quality oriented grown up approach has been a good thing, as well as a being a natural progression...i think for those of us that grew up with the culture, being able to stay in touch with the culture and fashion that goes along with it has been a treat...it's nice to know that you can still contribute without looking like a runaway teen...

just my thoughts and opinions...

damn MyMindSpray, you nailed that...I whole heartily believe exactly the same thing.

I think it all comes down to two things:

1) The big names already have great footing to survive for a while, they would have to really do something fucked up to fall off completely.

2) The smaller brands have to be innovative and try to be a step ahead of the trends for them to continue to live

Edited by w_y on Jul 29, 2005 at 10:27 AM