Any good Denim shops in Chicago or Suburbs?

Lonely Raven

Since I'm of a larger size, I'm thinking it's probably better that I try before I buy to make sure the fit is right on me.

It seems the better denim shops are East Cost or West Coast.

Anything good in the middle? I'm in a Suburb of Chicago, and I want to try as much as I can before dropping cash.

What I'm looking for:

Raw Denim, HEAVY weight 17oz or better. I actually ride a motorcycle, so I want that extra thickness. I was considering some Iron Heart, but I know of no shops in the Chicagoland area that might carry them. I prefer black denim, but that seems to be a Fashon Faux Pas...I don't mind trying deep indigo out!

Your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Arcarsenal

I'm going to second Untitled. There is one across from my apartment on Clark St. Last time I was in there I remember seeing some Nudies and Acne. I'm sure they carry more denim but the store it self is pretty cool.

You might also check out Active Endevors near Armitage and Sheffield and Barneys Co Op near Halsted and Webster.

These are all in the Lincoln Park area. I'm sure Wicker Park has some good spots as well but I'm too stoned to think of more right now. :)

to be perfectly honest, i don't think you're going to find anything in the neighborhood of 17oz in chicago stores

there are plenty of places that carry some of the better readily-available stuff - rag&bone, apc, nudie, acne, possibly kmw - but the really good japanese sufu snob shit is pretty much only at se, big, context, and denim bar

and even then, most of the best stuff is stf, so you're not going to be able to try it on anyway

that's why these 'any good denim stores in [place besides nyc or sf]' threads are sort of pointless, and probably why no one jumped to answer your question

also, i'm not all that concerned b/c i already have too many damn jeans, but if there are stores in chi that carry some top-shelf stuff i guess i'd like to know about them

p.s. you can get jean shops at jake and guise, iirc

bump for a brainstorm: just go to ralph lauren on michigan and get some rrls

probably the best pair you'll find in the area

i just got the slim boot in one-wash, and they're as good as anything i've bought from big

you can try on to your heart's content there

the salespeople are cool, too - i went in all bummy and they were still very helpful, attentive, etc.

RRL is a good reccomendation...they seem pretty sturdy and i like the fit, not too slim.

also look out for Rugby by RL's denim for fall the store is right off Armitage....some salesmen showed me the upcoming raw selvage model and they seemed similiar to apcs feel, perhaps even a little stiffer

and if u feel like dropping in the 250 range Untitled carries the nudie RR dry selvage in a variety of sizes.... they have two locations, clark and north ave in wicker park...

hope that helps a little....

• 5 months later...
RRL is a good reccomendation...they seem pretty sturdy and i like the fit, not too slim.

also look out for Rugby by RL's denim for fall the store is right off Armitage....some salesmen showed me the upcoming raw selvage model and they seemed similiar to apcs feel, perhaps even a little stiffer

and if u feel like dropping in the 250 range Untitled carries the nudie RR dry selvage in a variety of sizes.... they have two locations, clark and north ave in wicker park...

hope that helps a little....

what happened w/ these? have they come out?