home

What programs do you use and why?

I'm just at university, second year, but at the moment I am using:

Autocad 2007 for basic drafting

Microstation 2007 for 3D modeling

Sketchup Pro 6 for mass modeling / quick 3Ds

All on PC / Windows.

Am interested to see what others use.

Not a big fan of Microstation, and would love to see what other programs people are using for their modeling..

I'm thinking of looking into Autodesk Revit, not sure of its rendering capabilities though.

Also, are you guys using Mac or Windows?

i hated microstation. when i used it, it was a really old version. there was alot of shit i couldn't do cause the shit i wanted to do was too radical back then.

i find viz/3dsmax pretty easy and friendly to use for 3d modelling.

yeah, i'm looking into 3dsmax at the mo. i've heard it renders really well..?

what exactly is the difference between viz and 3ds max?

cheers, mate.

There's a plug-in for Skecthup called Kerkythea that renders realistically. 3D Studio max is far too complicated to learn and whatnot. If you want to do things in 3D as an undergrad, draw it in autocad then import over into sketchup. Go with sketchup and kerkythea. Realistically, you're going to have to learn Revit eventually because the workforce is transitioning to it more because it's more time efficient but a little limiting on your imagination. Best of all, kerkythea is free.

I'm a senior in architecture and these programs have been part of my arsenal for a while. For you, learning it in your second year already puts you above the rest for a little bit. Play with it a little bit, the learning curve isn't steep.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...