How many of you starch your jeans?

sway

I'm thinking of spraying some starch on my Nudie's to get some better crease marks, but a little worried about any residue that the starch leaves behind. Don't want any weird discolorations on the areas that I've starched... I've looked at a bunch of those japanese jean sites where they chronicled the break-in process of their jeans, and none of them seem to mention anything about using starch.

Quote:

it shouldn't be a concern. starch washes away without leaving any residue. in fact, some of us starch on a weekly basis. icon_smile_big.gif

--- Original message by darknworn on Jul 21, 2005 02:50 PM

Yeah, the problem is they're not going to be washed for months... so I'm worried about the residue build-up over those months before the first wash.

Here's a domestic version of a starch recipe used by professional laundries:

2 tablespoons powdered starch (you can use cornflour) + 1 pint of boiling water. Dissolve and then add another half/full pint of cold water. Then spray or soak your jeans with it. (for the soak, obviously you may have to multiply up to get a bucket full).

Cornflour is the fine white flour used for thickening stock in cooking - not the larger grain corn (maize) flour that is used for tortillas.

Also good for table linen and shirts icon_smile_big.gif

If you want to play with creases and startch- which will not hurt your denim- you can create the crease, wrinkle, fold, or whatever you want to create on the denim, hold it in place with a clothes pin(s), and spray the startch on. Let dry completely- usually over night- and you've got yourself a wrinkle, crease, fold, whatever you wanted.

To avoid sticky residue, don't over do it. You know you've overdone it when you have sprayed the area until the startch-foam turns the area white for a a second. And hold the spray can like 6 inches away so you don't isolate one area too much.

I suggest a test on another item first to see what I mean. If you spray one area long enough it get's all foamy. But you REALLY gotta be spraying it for that to happen. For WAY longer then most people would feel comfortable. OR you could hold the can too close to the fabric and the area you end up spraying becomes small and quickly saturated.

And use heavy startch. The other intesities of startch won't cut it.

It's alot easier then I made it sound. Writing things always sounds more complicated then the action the words describe.

good luck!

XOXO