a.p.c. or helmet lang?

Westmount

I've recently decided to buy a new pair of jeans

I tried on both of them, a.p.c. new standard and the helmet lang raw jeans. Both of them are selvage with the same cutting.

Therefore I'm not sure which one to get, give me some ideas..which ones would you guys pick?

i would buy the apc's. who cares about the brand name? you don't see any markings on them anyway that would distinguish them in a crowd.

also, i think the APC's would be the tougher of the 2. if you read the topic about different types of selvage wearing differently, one guy describes APC's fabric as being way more durable.

i like the cut of APC's English cut better also. the waist is a tad lower but in a flaterring way.

Yah, I'd go with Helmut Lang.

A. They're closing, so there are only going to be a finite number left

B. I hate the a.p.c. indigo. It's not a color I like at all

C. I didn't like the cut of my rescues till I made them boot cut.

I would go with Helmut Langs as well. I like how they fit the arse, and I don't know about them being higher rise.. my Classic Boot Cuts have a lower rise (or maybe equal) to my APC New Standards.

The Helmut Lang indigo color is nearly identical to the APC. I have a keen eye and I can't tell much of a difference, except hte APC being a *tiny* bit more purplish. Is that what you're talking about Chad?

Oh, I wasn't even refering to the helmut lang, I just know I dont like how my A.P.C.'s look and would take anything over them. I was really hoping for more of a levi's blue end result...

• 11 months later...

Have got 2 pairs of raw apcs, NS and hipster and 6 pairs of raw helmut langs in classic and italian cut. i cant say my breaking in them is consistent, but i think my helmuts faded out nicer after the first wash in half a year of wear. ive only washed one pair of helmuts so far, im working on the rest slowly. And since helmuts are going to be a defnite rarity, i had to clear the stock of someone who had 5 pairs in my size. they are rock hard. Also for APCs, i believe there are many editions of them. The ones found in local shops here in Singapore are made in Macau. The ones i got online(not from Apc.fr) are made in Tunisia. Ive heard of some actually made in France? I believe APC has sourced many overseas factories for qutie some time now, with that in mind, you may be more assured with the helmut langs, most of which are made in italy. I know some people dont give a hoot where the jeans are made in, but there is a reason why labor costs are cheaper elsewhere, not entirely accurate, but of which to some extend, true.

Id go for helmuts if i could get more in raw denim, classic or italian cut.

Hasn't Helmut Lang closed down though? I know I can't find them anywhere here in Montreal anymore. Is there a site where they sell 'em other than allanio?

Two places to find HL in Montreal (if they have stuff left over):

1) Simons

2) Michel Brisson

Yeah, I tried both these stores and they don't have anything left. Thanks anyway fuuma. It's true that theory having bought HL is a source of worry, I'm just hoping they keep on making the classic cut and the low rise contour fit jeans like they used to.

^So are there any stores in SG that stock APC and Helmut Lang, besides Red Wolves and Front Row?

The only jeans i can rem getting in sg are the italian cut classic denim helmut langs from the boutique at pacific plaza some 6 years ago... the rest of my helmut langs and i get from a friend who lives in newcastle, apparently they arent doing well there, so stores are getting rid of them fast. As for APC, i got mine from seller from the US, shop name is Hollywood Trading or something like that...

If youre interested in helmut lang classic cuts, email me [email protected] size 27 are the largest i believe, they measure 28 in waist.

Also for APCs, i believe there are many editions of them. The ones found in local shops here in Singapore are made in Macau. The ones i got online(not from Apc.fr) are made in Tunisia. Ive heard of some actually made in France?

Just pulled mine off to check... mine are made in Macau too - I got mine off of the apc.fr webstore...

Just pulled mine off to check... mine are made in Macau too - I got mine off of the apc.fr webstore...

well that explains the relatively low prices on the APCs, tho there is no implication that the quality is compromised on. I believe there arent too many EU made APC denims going around anymore, unless they're really old stock( correct my assumptions). Macau i believe is part of Hong Kong? Most top Tier Evisus are made in Hong Kong nowadays, so says a retailer in the US. when it comes to quality, i still favour the italian and japanese made products, purely due to the dedication of the tailors/workers, not that the rest of the world arent affectionate about their work, but its my personal bias towards japanese and italian pride in worksmanship. I hear Turkey also boasts very good quality cotton(acne). I think for me its all in the mind, its my preference. Anyways jeans last a life time no matter where they are made in nowadays, so says my regular 501s :)

• 4 weeks later...

this post bumped for the benefit of absurdly skinny people in Toronto: there's a pair of beige, hyper-skinny proto-Dior size 26 Helmut Lang jeans on sale at 83 Bloor. Retail was $395, I'm guessing discount was 70%. Perhaps this will be of use to someone.

matthew, what are the differences in fits for helmut lang classic cuts, italian, or raw?

out of curiosity.

i never bought helmut lang, and now helmut is out of the fashion game. i guess i'm too late.

Sorry for the late reply,

Ok simply for cuts, the italian cut is slimmer in the thighs, i measured about 7.5 flat for my size 27s. My classic cuts measure 8.3 -8.5 in the thighs/knee area for my size 27s. as for waist, they measure out about the same. Raw denim means its unwashed. Classic denim means one wash. Classic denim is in no relation to classic cut.