lost my ipod, looking for suggestions...

mizanation

so, i lost my 40gb ipod and my shure e2c's.

as i am always looking at the bright side of life, i am using this as an opportunity to buy something new and better.

here are the options:

buy an iphone

wait for the next generation iphone

buy a nintendo ds

buy a psp

buy another ipod

buy something else

please advise.

^^ Doesn't that only work for college students?

Anyway, the choices are all over the place.

Do you want to listen to music? Or do you want a phone? Or a gaming device?

A slimmer PSP is coming out in September.

Nintendo DS you can buy an R4 and just download roms and put music/movies on it.

Another iPod - I'm not a fan, rather get a Creative Zen Vision M, but its kinda chunky.

iPhone...if you need a phone.

It's been a long time since a new iteration of the ipod has come out, so probably best to wait until then (just a guess but I'd imagine a new one will hit before christmas). Don't get an iphone now, wait for the 3G one (should be soon, the euro one will most likely be 3G). In the mean time, maybe grab a DS.

Do you want to listen to music? Or do you want a phone? Or a gaming device?

yes.

Buy a turntable and start collecting records again. Then start making mixtapes and carry a boom box to play them outside.

hmm.

i was thinking about tapes the other day. tapes were great, they have a natural low-pass filter quality, which is endearing. back in the day, my walkman was my best friend. making mix tapes was how i spent a lot of my time. music meant so much, now, it seems to easy to put mediocre music on an ipod, just because you can.

maybe i'll go back to tapes? hell no.

i do notice, that i would only listen to a few songs on my ipod, even though i had 40 gigs of songs on it.

i have a blackberry pearl, maybe i should try to put some songs on it?

Miz, get an ipod shuffle. It will work for now and you can always use it for the gym later. They are great little devices.

New iphone won't come out that soon. Almost no chance that it will happen this year. I'm waiting for a ~120Gb ipod before I replace my current one but that's not looking close either. If you like the current iphone and can deal with att service (ie does it work in your underground lair?) get it, it's a cool device. Also look at new Nokia phones, they are good looking and have tons of options. Oh and buy a case of beer :D

Miz, get an ipod shuffle. It will work for now and you can always use it for the gym later. They are great little devices.

New iphone won't come out that soon. Almost no chance that it will happen this year. I'm waiting for a ~120Gb ipod before I replace my current one but that's not looking close either. If you like the current iphone and can deal with att service (ie does it work in your underground lair?) get it, it's a cool device. Also look at new Nokia phones, they are good looking and have tons of options. Oh and buy a case of beer :D

forgot about the shuffle. great suggestion.

i would rather pay $75 for a shuffle than $30 bucks to turn my phone into a mp3 player.

i will check out the nokia phones...

While the free nano thing only applies to students, you can go into the apple education online store, enter in your old student number (if you're a grad) and it'll give you the 10% student discount on items as well as the free nano deal if you buy a macbook.

I'm surprised you ppl didn't know about this before.

I say go for Etymotic ER6i. I have them for few years and only changed filters in them. I listen to my ipod for close to 5 hrs per day and love them. Now they even make a black version that looks so much better. They used to cost $140 but I've seen them for around $70 online.

People will tell you that there are better choices but I think for that price they are very good.

Refurb Nano, or Meizu from buy.com. Both are about a $100 and works great. I personally hate Apple. I've had 2 Ipods stolen from me. The first instance was regretable, and the second was a blessing. My problem with Apple is that it's so damn popular that you end up being a victim if you frequent the gym (both were stolen at 24 Hour Fitness) Plus, you don't need all that room and and burning music is awful. Thankfully, my Treo works great with Windows Media Player and with Bluetooth headphones I can keep my phone in the locker.