Someone told me APC is the GAP of France

john11f

If Gap made some seriously good selvage denim, in good fits, I wouldn't have to order all my jeans online.I could care less. I carefully remove most of the labels from my clothing anyway.

I used to work at the Gap back when I was in High school for about 6 months. I walked out of that job because all of my co-workers were some prissy ass grabbers who were so G-Pride that they had lost all ability to take a joke from a strait man. Anyway... Sorry for that. My point is retail is a horrid job I'll never work again...

Did I just kill this thread?

http://www.tragicbliss.com

selfridges & co , birmingham bullring, england,

i work on surf & skate so its kinda cool.... only downside is they say u have to wear shoes !?!?!?!..... so everyday after college im rockin a tee withsome baggy evisu no2s or lvc's an some wack ass shoes coz i cant wear my sb's ??!

im not that keen, i did consider the clarks original wallabee but im not really a fan i had a pair for school... i bought some brown flat slip things r comfy but look wack... i got some point white swear which look dope just not with wat im wearing...so im thinkin.... just get some clarks wallabies ....or what i dont know? what would u wear??

Quote:

If Gap made some seriously good selvage denim, in good fits, I wouldn't have to order all my jeans online.I could care less. I carefully remove most of the labels from my clothing anyway.

I used to work at the Gap back when I was in High school for about 6 months. I walked out of that job because all of my co-workers were some prissy ass grabbers who were so G-Pride that they had lost all ability to take a joke from a strait man. Anyway... Sorry for that. My point is retail is a horrid job I'll never work again...

--- Original message by TragicBliss on Jul 10, 2005 02:36 PM

gap runs the some of the same exact fabrics as paper denim / rogan /earnest sewn etc... they are able to buy in high quantities from the mill at a lower price. candiani fabrics from italy, which makes some of earnests/papers/seven/citizens etc.. core fabrics, are also run by j crew / gap etc... gap regulary runs candiani, nissimibo , cone and other high quality ring ring fabrics in the 1969 line. adriano (of AG) designed the first 1969 line around 1997-98 and ran a really good fitting, high quality rigid selvedge jean for about $100.00. if this jean was sold in a boutique it would be alot more expensive. 95% of the "premium" jeans brands run the same crap as the gap and other companies. what you are paying the extra money for is the double mark up of buying through a boutique or dept. store that buys wholesale from the manufacturer. direct retailers like gap etc.. can sell product with a single mark up. i'm not saying that gap is cool, but its not always a better quality product that you pay for. one chip and peppers core fabrics is a u.s. cone fabric that is also one of abercrombies core fabrics. a+f sells theirs for 60.00, chip and pepper retails at over 150.00, and in my opinion the a+f one is better looking as well. there are other factors in price of course (country of origin ,construction etc..) but 95% of "premium" denim brands dont mean shit. everyone uses words like "premium", "ringspun" "japanese denim", etc.. but its only marketing. the only jeans worth buying that are available in the u.s. are prps, 45rpm, levis vintage collection, a.p.c. , rrl, 5 ep, and some rogan. i am basing my high opinion of these brands on the 5 most important factors in detrmining a jeans quality- fit, fabrication, construction, trim and finishing.

Quote:

gap runs the some of the same exact fabrics as paper denim / rogan /earnest sewn etc... they are able to buy in high quantities from the mill at a lower price. candiani fabrics from italy, which makes some of earnests/papers/seven/citizens etc.. core fabrics, are also run by j crew / gap etc... gap regulary runs candiani, nissimibo , cone and other high quality ring ring fabrics in the 1969 line. adriano (of AG) designed the first 1969 line around 1997-98 and ran a really good fitting, high quality rigid selvedge jean for about $100.00. if this jean was sold in a boutique it would be alot more expensive. 95% of the "premium" jeans brands run the same crap as the gap and other companies. what you are paying the extra money for is the double mark up of buying through a boutique or dept. store that buys wholesale from the manufacturer. direct retailers like gap etc.. can sell product with a single mark up. i'm not saying that gap is cool, but its not always a better quality product that you pay for. one chip and peppers core fabrics is a u.s. cone fabric that is also one of abercrombies core fabrics. a+f sells theirs for 60.00, chip and pepper retails at over 150.00, and in my opinion the a+f one is better looking as well. there are other factors in price of course (country of origin ,construction etc..) but 95% of "premium" denim brands dont mean shit. everyone uses words like "premium", "ringspun" "japanese denim", etc.. but its only marketing. the only jeans worth buying that are available in the u.s. are prps, 45rpm, levis vintage collection, a.p.c. , rrl, 5 ep, and some rogan. i am basing my high opinion of these brands on the 5 most important factors in detrmining a jeans quality- fit, fabrication, construction, trim and finishing.

Quote:

gap runs the some of the same exact fabrics as paper denim / rogan /earnest sewn etc... they are able to buy in high quantities from the mill at a lower price. candiani fabrics from italy, which makes some of earnests/papers/seven/citizens etc.. core fabrics, are also run by j crew / gap etc... gap regulary runs candiani, nissimibo , cone and other high quality ring ring fabrics in the 1969 line. adriano (of AG) designed the first 1969 line around 1997-98 and ran a really good fitting, high quality rigid selvedge jean for about $100.00. if this jean was sold in a boutique it would be alot more expensive. 95% of the "premium" jeans brands run the same crap as the gap and other companies. what you are paying the extra money for is the double mark up of buying through a boutique or dept. store that buys wholesale from the manufacturer. direct retailers like gap etc.. can sell product with a single mark up. i'm not saying that gap is cool, but its not always a better quality product that you pay for. one chip and peppers core fabrics is a u.s. cone fabric that is also one of abercrombies core fabrics. a+f sells theirs for 60.00, chip and pepper retails at over 150.00, and in my opinion the a+f one is better looking as well. there are other factors in price of course (country of origin ,construction etc..) but 95% of "premium" denim brands dont mean crap. everyone uses words like "premium", "ringspun" "japanese denim", etc.. but its only marketing. the only jeans worth buying that are available in the u.s. are prps, 45rpm, levis vintage collection, a.p.c. , rrl, 5 ep, and some rogan. i am basing my high opinion of these brands on the 5 most important factors in detrmining a jeans quality- fit, fabrication, construction, trim and finishing.

Quote:

gap runs the some of the same exact fabrics as paper denim / rogan /earnest sewn etc... they are able to buy in high quantities from the mill at a lower price. candiani fabrics from italy, which makes some of earnests/papers/seven/citizens etc.. core fabrics, are also run by j crew / gap etc... gap regulary runs candiani, nissimibo , cone and other high quality ring ring fabrics in the 1969 line. adriano (of AG) designed the first 1969 line around 1997-98 and ran a really good fitting, high quality rigid selvedge jean for about $100.00. if this jean was sold in a boutique it would be alot more expensive. 95% of the "premium" jeans brands run the same crap as the gap and other companies. what you are paying the extra money for is the double mark up of buying through a boutique or dept. store that buys wholesale from the manufacturer. direct retailers like gap etc.. can sell product with a single mark up. i'm not saying that gap is cool, but its not always a better quality product that you pay for. one chip and peppers core fabrics is a u.s. cone fabric that is also one of abercrombies core fabrics. a+f sells theirs for 60.00, chip and pepper retails at over 150.00, and in my opinion the a+f one is better looking as well. there are other factors in price of course (country of origin ,construction etc..) but 95% of "premium" denim brands dont mean crap. everyone uses words like "premium", "ringspun" "japanese denim", etc.. but its only marketing. the only jeans worth buying that are available in the u.s. are prps, 45rpm, levis vintage collection, a.p.c. , rrl, 5 ep, and some rogan. i am basing my high opinion of these brands on the 5 most important factors in detrmining a jeans quality- fit, fabrication, construction, trim and finishing.

sweet-orr

P.S.: Rogan also worked on the first 1969 lines (rumour has it he was fired from Gap Inc. for setting the dryers on fire when trying to develop his ethanol wash-an experiment he was supposedly doing for Levi's at the time).

Not only does GAP use almost ALL ring-ring denim, but so does Old Gravy...

Actually, I found on a website this story about how APC was talked of as "french GAP" in its very early days and how ridiculous the comparison is, because APC's principles are totally opposed to those of GAP. Totally. Search on Google there are many interviews with Jean Touitou... the man deserves lots of respect.

Witts - I'm surprised you have a problem wearing Wallabees due to their image in the UK. You struck me as the sort of person to stick by a quality product, regardless of their image. You stand strong with Evisu.

If you're going to be on your feet for hours on end doing retail and can't wear trainers, a crepe sole is what you're going to need. It certainly helps where I work (although I'm allowed to wear pretty much whatever I want).

If you really can't handle wearing Wallabees, get some Red Wings. Similar overall concept, but in boot form.

Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by sweet orr on Jul 10, 2005 10:46 PM

Sweet-

Not a fan of Nudie RR Selvage?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

--- Original message by sweet orr on Jul 10, 2005 10:46 PM

Sweet-

Not a fan of Nudie RR Selvage?

--- Original message by 35mm on Jul 11, 2005 07:11 AM

i think the fabric is good and that nudie is better than alot of brands out there right now, but i really dont like the the back rise and rear pockets. i dont think that they fit very well. the rear rise doesnt have enough saddle and the pockets are too long and placed too low and oddly placed. i also think that the deco stitch on the rear pockets is kind of silly. the only deco stitch that really means anything is levis. / lee /wrangler., most modern denim brands have no real brand equity. its not that i dont like branding, but there is nothing original about another over-done deco stitch, good jeans need to have more design subtlees than a deco stitch...dont get me wrong, im not totally dissing nudie, but they arnt my thing.

sweet-orr