Wearing (deadstock) vintage clothing

Here's something I've recently been thinking about.

With people not only buying but also actually wearing vintage pieces aren't they in a way "destroying" items that are of historical value?

Ofcourse this doesn't go for simply thrifted things. But items, that are lets say, 30 years or older...

I guess what I'm trying to say applies to deadstock items the most.

People go to great lenghts to find vintage deadstock LEvis jeans and then wear them, but kept deadstock these jeans would've only gotten more special over time. There are already so little of them and they are only becoming scarcer.

I have a couple of (fairly old) deadstock vintage jackets and shirts that are amazing pieces and I'm very happy to wear and could never just have in the closet since they fit me, but on the other hand I feel that while there are already so little of those already I'm only wearing them down instead of preserving them.

Future generations will almost not be able to enjoy clothes from certain era's anymore because people are just wearing them nowadays.

And while for more recent stuff it might not seem like such a long time ago now, it will be in the future.

I also have the feeling that the way people percieve vintage in the future will change since there has been such great changes in the clothing industrie a couple of decades ago. More outsourcing, mass manufacturing etc etc.

I'm aware that there are alot of pros for wearing vintage aswell but that's not what this is about right now.

I hope it makes sense what I'm writing, and I probably should've taken more time to write this (am in a bit of a hurry right now). But it sounded like a good topic in my head.

Any thoughts?

Decided to put this in Superdenim since I figured it belonged here the most. Move it if someone dissagrees.

I think that as long as one or two examples of certain vintage pieces are kept preserved in the levis corporate historical archives, or museums and the like; other existing examples of vintage clothing can be worn by the owner.

After all, although its very old, it is still clothing whose function is to be worn. Its great to see the garments being utilized as they were originally intended and created for.

Thats sort of the same concept of Limited Editions, whether it be shoes, clothes or toys, isn't it? I don't know about others, but I like using my stuff, no matter how rare it might be. Of course, I won't use it to death, and I might put a little more care into something that's hard to come by, but I'm not afraid to use it.

That didn't really add anything, did it?

I dunno, all these old jeans had been produced in masses, there wasn´t any great work in producing it, no handembroidered silk and velvet jacket like in the 1800-1900s, so I guess there will be more in hidden closets, garage etc. pp. than we might think. And it´s only jeans, if somebodys is crazy enough to spend more than 1000 Dollars for jeans he should do it and wear em...

I do not agree. By wearing these they give them more history, more character, more everything. The only reason not to wear these is if they wore to split in two... But even then repairs would give these even MORE life. No matter how you slice it, it gets better and better (unless they are burnt, acid spills, lost, etc)

there is nothing like wearing something that is old... id rather wear vintage denim than new japanese denim any day....... only thing is its so damn expensive to find my size unless i happen to find it in a thrift store...

ya, I am lucky to have a cousin who works in the thrift/vintage clothing business. And she happened to find me 2 pairs of Big Es in my size, got them for $250 each from her thrift store.

i'm saying, for a thrift store.

not a vintage store.

anyway back to the topic.

life's equilibrium is you keep some, you lose some.

how are future generations going to appreciate them if they're going to be overprotected like some sort of government blueprint, locked in some window case from use.

if people use their deadstock vintage, your deadstock vintage goes up in worth.