Why do most people dress so fucking bad??

homi29

I've been around Toronto lately, and i realized theres some severely poorly dressed people everywhere.

I was at a smaller college town at school so that was sorta to be expected, but being downtown in a major city, i still see most people have pretty bad sense of fashion/style etc. I'm not trying to say i dress the best , or im the most knowledgeable motherfucker around but im just trying to understand how so many people never take the time or effort to expose themselves to any sort of fashion outside the local mall.

I guess its one of those things when you're in it, you have a warped worldview. But looking at the worst dressed thread, I realize thats just how NORMAL people dress..

obviously theres still the connotation that guys into fashion are gay, but alot of girls have pretty horrible style, but get a pass because they got titties and a vag (naked is the new wearing clothes?)

discuss

I've come to the conclusion that most "regular people" either dress bad, or I dress bad. It could go either way.

i think if a random selection of people off the street were shown SUFU WAYWT they'd laugh and say our shit sucks

ive developed a theory however that when u go into a population and extrapolate to a macro level, most people don't know shit about anything cool

ie music , movies, fashion, design, art , food etc etc anything cultural of any sort the average person is pretty clueless about. The internet is just a giant clusterfuck for nerds like us to congregate and rationalize our likes and dislikes

^then my work here is done.

the reason people dress so fucking bad is because like that one quote from that one movie i saw that one day. oh yeah, men in black. people are dumb, a person is smart, but in a group. people are stupid, etc, etc etc. think about it and taht quote applies to this question you have asked.

maybe a canadian can explain this. but i remember back in 2002 i was in montreal and toronto and when walking through the malls there (especialy montreal) every guy in there was in a group of 4 or 5 dressing like a boy band. and the girls were in groups of mostly 4. it was so weird that this was noticable. is it still like that there? do wanna be high school boy band dressin high schoolers still roam the malls of montreal?

...im just trying to understand how so many people never take the time or effort to expose themselves to any sort of fashion outside the local mall.

because it does take time and effort. i think your kind of understanding assumes that people are not generally lazy... (news: they are). the local mall is the easiest route. and even if some are exposed to "higher fashion," attempts to mirror or incorporate can easily end the second they realize it takes effort to find the right coordination, fit, etc. pieces become "good enough" and it's right back to the start.

it takes either persecution or recognition to make a person change - those in the middle stay in the middle.

^then my work here is done.

the reason people dress so fucking bad is because like that one quote from that one movie i saw that one day. oh yeah, men in black. people are dumb, a person is smart, but in a group. people are stupid, etc, etc etc. think about it and taht quote applies to this question you have asked.

yeah i understand this. But this site gets thousands of hits, theres tons of internet boards dedicated to fashion/style. GQ and other popular men's mags all have a style section with some decent stuff highlighted every now and then.

It's most noticeable with shoes, just look at how many people wear crocs, or some clunky adidas that are beat to shit, or some nasty looking aldo square-toed dress shoes.. ugh i can go on but my points made

i suppose it all boils down to apathy at the end of the day. people dont want to put the time and effort to really find stuff

But this site gets thousands of hits, theres tons of internet boards dedicated to fashion/style. GQ and other popular men's mags all have a style section with some decent stuff highlighted every now and then.

so you think most people surveyed in malls know about sufu or other fashion boards?

maybe a canadian can explain this?

hey man, i actually dont think Canadians dress all that bad compared to anywhere else in north America

north Americans in general just dress shitty, but that being said to explain your point AE , A&F, Holister are all extremely popular here for anyone under 25 (mostly white kids love it, but brainwashed minorities try to get in on the action every now and then too)

yeah i understand this. But this site gets thousands of hits, theres tons of internet boards dedicated to fashion/style. GQ and other popular men's mags all have a style section with some decent stuff highlighted every now and then.

It's most noticeable with shoes, just look at how many people wear crocs, or some clunky adidas that are beat to shit, or some nasty looking aldo square-toed dress shoes.. ugh i can go on but my points made

i suppose it all boils down to apathy at the end of the day. people dont want to put the time and effort to really find stuff

funny you say taht, if you look at the good fashion boards, thats like waht 100,000 to 200,000 altogether really. the US got at least waht 500 million+? that ratio of "fashionable" poeple really gets raped.

i think the reason is mostly cuz shit in malls is cheaper and why shop online trying to find something that you could find that looks similar at EXPRESS for a fraction of the price. Also MTV shows people that true religions are "cool" didnt you ever hear that Fergie song? she tells you that true religion, sevens ect are cool.

hey man, i actually dont think Canadians dress all that bad compared to anywhere else in north America

north Americans in general just dress shitty, but that being said to explain your point AE , A&F, Holister are all extremely popular here for anyone under 25 (mostly white kids love it, but brainwashed minorities try to get in on the action every now and then too)

i didnt say canadians dress bad it was something i noticed while there. like how come these high schoolers dont go to malls in 2's or 3's. hahaha. i only saw groups of 4 or 5.

funny you say taht, if you look at the good fashion boards, thats like waht 100,000 to 200,000 altogether really. the US got at least waht 500 million+? that ratio of "fashionable" poeple really gets raped.

but u do understand that there is a point where these people influence those around them. I've put my friends onto better dry denim, cool sneaker spots, some of the best stores in my city etc. So really i have an impact on more than just myself..

also not everyone who dresses well goes online, some people just have style and can shop off the rack and find cool shit.. so good for them

anyway i understand the reasoning and the numbers behind it. But maybe my original post was just a fucking diatribe becuase im bored in between playing xbox, but perhaps my question should have been

1) are people generally better dressed outside of North America (europe or asia?)

2)What causes the difference, is it something inherent in our culture?

I mean north america is pretty fucking superficial

i think i'd be sick of it all if everyone I saw on the street was just a regurgitation of what's cool on fashion forums. I prefer not to go about my day in public evaluating everyone else's outfits and seeing if I'm dressed better than them. That's sorta why I go on forums like this.

i think i'd be sick of it all if everyone I saw on the street was just a regurgitation of what's cool on fashion forums. I prefer not to go about my day in public evaluating everyone else's outfits and seeing if I'm dressed better than them. That's sorta why I go on forums like this.

to see who you dress better than?

(devil's advocate)

just came up with something. abc's of dressing bad.

afraid-people are afraid to dress differently in fear of being made fun of.

brainwashed-media makes it look cool, they attach themselves to rappers or whoever.

conformity-to be liked by groups of people.

so that makes me a fearless, intelligent nonconformist? YES.

but really, mentality's more of a factor than a decider. i know plenty of well-dressed attention whores, etc. etc.

to see who you dress better than?

(devil's advocate)

to get a general gist of other people's style in this specific online forum context. Since I see this forum as a collective online community of "often" like-minded people in terms of fashion and culture, it's more appropriate to say things like "oh fit sucks dood" or "rad fit". On the street, it's just people going about their day. I don't think my parents dress badly even they'd be considered "normal people", they're just dressing how they want to and how they're used to.

just came up with something. abc's of dressing bad.

afraid-people are afraid to dress differently in fear of being made fun of.

brainwashed-media makes it look cool, they attach themselves to rappers or whoever.

conformity-to be liked by groups of people.

i'll quote this because i thought it was the most useful thing tyler has posted in this thread thus far

Corned beef, i see your point as well. I mean the reason everyone on here is such an elitist is partially due to the feeling of exclusivity that knowing about clothes gives us. if everyone could be put onto it that would ruin the sense of feeling "above the norm" , exactly what u seemed to mention u didn't care about

I think the population is split into two: some people have innate style, the rest don't.

For those who don't have it innately, they're further split into people who bother / try, and people who don't.

And then you have a list of priorities in your life: Where does fashion / looking good fit in? Do you want to look good all the time, should you, do you care about fashion, do you just want to be presentable, does your job have a dress code (which means you only get to have fun with clothes in your free time, again, are you bothered?), etc.

And you have your daily priorities, and taking the time to put together an outfit, checking yourself in the mirror, etc, might be low on the list if you had more pressing matters for the day.

To some, fashion is not even something they think or care about beyond buying clothes in the right sizes (maybe not even), and there's some who think about and know what they like and buy, but don't bother to be "out there" with their dressing, and there're some for whom fashion plays a big part. And each extremes probably don't understand each other as to why they even bother (or not).

people can't dress right anywhere, they go to the mall and bring their wack ass JCPenny style home with them and talk about what a good deal they got on their shit brand, fall apart, no style clothes.