martial arts

linkejeuk

Any people here into martial arts?

I did judo as a kid and I want to start doing something again coming september, but haven't figured out yet what style is for me.

I don't want to do judo again. I didn't like the way the competitions where, and would like to do something a bit more 'athletic' this time.

I really like the idea of aikido, but it get's bashed so much as being unpractical bullshit that would never work in a real fight. Anybody here has any experience?

Another style I am considering is ju jutsu, but I hate the whole mma brazilian ju jutsu style. It might be effective, but it just doesn't look cool anymore, haha.

A part of me still wants to do martial arts because of the whole mystique around it,this thing I got attracted to when I was a kid. Not just to be better at defending myself in a real fight, although that is ofcourse importent as well.

If I would get in a real fight it would be most effective to learn to deal with people with weapons anyway.

So, should I go for the style that atracts me estheticly or go for something more practical?

General discussion on martial arts is welcome.

i started on and off freestyle MMA training and get alot of my discipline from other styles my stand up is based in chinese kenpo which is a pretty cool style along with muay thay as MIZ suggested. i do use some BJJ techniques for my ground work but mostly american submission wrestling .it really depends on where youre trying to go with it dont do tae kwon do Aikido( Aki Budo ) or Kung Fu they look cool and are fancy but but are impractical in almost every fight situation. Look for all kinds of schools in your area and research them because alot of schools have bullshit programs that just feed you a false sense of ability and belts to keep you paying. try picking up a japanese hardstyle or a chinese one like san shou. hope that helps PM me if you have any other questions

i practice jeet kune do which is bruce lee's "art"

we have our core classes, which is jkd fundamentals..then other classes to supplement that which include muy thai, bjj, kali silat (weapons/ knive fighting and filipino sticks fighting ) and street fighting which is headbutts, eye gauges, nut kicks, arm breaks...stuff you will reallistically use if you are in a street fight.

obviously bruce was ahead of his time and he was advocating mma before there really was any.....just use what works for you...be like water...all that stuff.

Take MMA because it's more practical. JKD is cool but its pretty much MMA anyway, I guess I'd take JKD for the concepts though. Bruce Lee was so deep. Anyways, like you I grew up on martial arts movies so when I was younger I used to take kung fu but looking at it now all the stuff I learned would be ineffective in a fight. But, I did get really strong, flexible, and disciplined. I guess if you were fighting wannabe gangstas like in that youtube video where that guy gets knocked out by some crazy kung fu-using white kid its worth it but otherwise I'd take MMA or any of its sub-styles like muay thai, jiujitsu, wrestling, etc. But if you want to take "martial arts" I'd probably go with Kyokushin karate. Sambo would be cool too plus Fedor uses it :P. Also as JoOner said you should really check out the schools in your area, its not worth going if they can't teach well or aren't strict enough. Find out what you have in your area first and then choose from there. Picking a style is useless if you don't even have it in your area.

sorry i forgot to mention that beware what hardstyle you pick up aswell it might be too rigid for practical use i agree studying contemporary JKD is good or you can see if there is a specialized MMA school in your area and pick up freestyle fighting. in my area we have Amarican Top Team Fighting Systems and at the last UFC event they had maybe 3 fighters in the event, granted its a chain of schools its still not bad for a small school. i dont train at a school though i have a couple friends who are boxers and former Full Contact fighters and theyre training me, if you can find some people to bang around with by all means go for it you still get a excellent work out and learn all kinds of different techniques.

EDIT: another thing i suggest is to visit different schools and challenge students under permission of the sensei and be very respectful. i did that and fought a purple belt at an ATA school all he did was prove that TKD is impractical

I started off with sambo as a small kid, then transferred to karate, and then onto judo which I did for 7 years. Haven't done anything in 4 years though... but I'm looking to start with something come fall too, so I definitely welcome this thread. A lot of good info so far.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's very informative.

I would probably do lessons through the university sport center from the uni I go to, because it's very cheap for me cause I'm a student and they seem to have good teachers. I have been doing other sports there and liked it.

They also offer a introduction course where every lesson is dedicated to a different style so you can orientate a bit more. Maybe i'll try that and see what I like the most.

But if they don't offer what I want I will have to look around for other schools.

I'll probably go for something that offers both stand up fightinh techniques and ground work.

I'll be sure to look around a lot though and talk to other people about where they go in this area.

The most popular training here actually is krav maga, I don't know much about it, but it is always full.

northern praying mantis, little bit of capoeira regional...

edit. i've wanted to learn more about wu shu kwan, tai chi (not the bullshit kind "practiced" by bored housewifes) and ile-ijala (the system practiced by stic.man of dead prez), but thus far i've found no valuable reasources outside of hearsay. i still think true knowledge within most martial art systems are hermetic in nature. the derivations of which can be frustrating because they are always riddled with half-truths.

kyokushin has no punches to the head. so, you don't train to defend them or deliver them. if you've ever watched a kyokushin tournament, you'd know that it's not really realistic. in real life, you don't have two people stand in front of each other and punch each others chests. just because kyokushin can be brutal, doesn't mean that's effective.

sambo itself is not bad, it's just that there are not many places to train in the u.s. that are any good. you will have better luck finding a good mma/bjj/judo place than a good sambo place. also, sambo does not train with the full guard, which is illegal (this is changing gradually). on top of that, the thing that made sambo unique was foot locks. now, foot locks are taught at every bjj place. lastly, fedor is really a judo guy. ;)

traditional jkd is very traditional. meaning, you are working on "energy drills" like hubud, chi-sau, and working on your trapping. the problem is, trapping just doesn't happen in real life. a guy is not going to connect hands with you, he's going to grab you and wrestle you. he is not going to stand in front of you so you guys can touch wrists and feel each others energy. traditonal jkd has very little emphasis on wrestling, specifically in the clinch range. this is where the fight either stays standing or goes to the ground. so, in a nutshell, traditional jkd has become what bruce lee wanted to get away from in the beginning.

I've been doing TKD for 6 months or so now. Took classes through my uni because they were extremely cheap, but with great instructors. I've started some MMA training since being home for the summer though.

i figured because of ATT. must be a great place to train.

i guess i drove past there the other day its right near a bunch of traditional martial arts schools and supply stores when i pick up my makiwara clapper ill stop by and ask a couple questions ive got to go to the hospital and get my knee looked at i injured it in highschool and lately when i kick its bothersome

anyone with any prior makiwara experience? besides skin peeling any ill effects?

i guess i drove past there the other day its right near a bunch of traditional martial arts schools and supply stores when i pick up my makiwara clapper ill stop by and ask a couple questions ive got to go to the hospital and get my knee looked at i injured it in highschool and lately when i kick its bothersome

anyone with any prior makiwara experience? besides skin peeling any ill effects?

if you go to ATT, you will never use a makiwara clapper again.

i took traditional martial arts but the older guys knew it was useless in a real street fight so they taught us basic boxing...after that started to do kickboxing...then when i got more advance i started doing muay thai...in HS i took wrestling and started realizing how importent takedowns/ground-work was so took some jiu jitsu...

honestly i think traditional martial arts and tkd are a joke...some kickboxers too cuzz their pussy's and dont know how to use their hands cuzz they like to keep their distance and not get hurt..