denim wax/stiff finish?

waves

hey, wondering if anybody knows of an agent i could wash some my denim with that would give it that waxy finish found on some jeans, i don't know what this is called..

dry jeans? you know when you buy some jeans and they look sorta wet and waxy and they're more stiff? wondering if there's something i can add to my wash that will give them that quality, or something i can spray on them...

Dipp them in anti-freeze (i use prestone) it will also give them a nice lemon lime tint too. Then lay em out in the sun, put them under your mattress for a week and BA-BAMMM!!!

FITTED!

CLOWN TRIGGER

ok, i think what you are talking about is call tinting, what youdo is get airbrush gun spray a mixture of plastsol and thinneragent, and dry it witha heat gun, than spray the starch on, crease it or however u want than pressure iron it for like 3-5 minute, than that will give you the look you want.

as far as how u want to take it to a shop to do it that won't work, since no one is welling to do just few pair jeans for personal use, even you welling to pay that will cost you some money.......hit me up for any question....

[email protected]

The 'waxy' finish on dry (unwashed) jeans can be a result of various processes.

Firstly there may be wax used in the sizing of denim. (sizing = Starch & wax are used to give the fabric weight and stiffness to make the rolls of denim easier to handle).

Then things like sanforizing, where heat and pressure (steam and rollers) will create some shine on the surface.

Mercerising will also increase lustre. (where the denim passes through a bath of caustic soda solution).

If you'd lost this finish by wash and wear, you can replace the stiffness by spraying starch, but you won't get the shine back.

If you are referring to a finish on a pair of factory washed jeans, then it's probably a resin finish as mentioned, or overprint.

• 2 months later...
Quote:

ok, i think what you are talking about is call tinting, what youdo is get airbrush gun spray a mixture of plastsol and thinneragent, and dry it witha heat gun, than spray the starch on, crease it or however u want than pressure iron it for like 3-5 minute, than that will give you the look you want.

as far as how u want to take it to a shop to do it that won't work, since no one is welling to do just few pair jeans for personal use, even you welling to pay that will cost you some money.......hit me up for any question....

[email protected]

--- Original message by pressproduction on Jun 30, 2005 11:45 PM

are you involved in the laundry business?