Versace S/S 08

goldengloves

Runway review from style.com

"Let's float a theory: The last few seasons of Versace's menswear have seen a paring-down of the clothing—a purification, if you will—as though the ground were being leveled for a major new design statement. Is recently employed consultant Alexandre Plokhov, designer of the late, lamented New York label Cloak, the deliverer of that statement? The first Versace collection in which he had any say certainly hinted at changes afoot, starting with the portentous blast of Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, which opened the show. And if that didn't bear enough weight, there were also show notes that expounded on the concept of duality. "Nothing is as it seems," they proclaimed. Hence, a trenchcoat chicly trimmed down to jacket size.

In his own collections, Plokhov often leaned toward new-wave flourishes, and there were plenty here: polo shirts with dress collars; a high-waisted, deep-pleated pant; a jacket with lapels scissored away; suits that closed low with one button; a clutch of belts, buckles, and straps; and an occasional (but judicious) stab of red. But other items had an innate glamour that reflected the Versace legacy. A black coat shone like sharkskin, and the black-on-black eveningwear had a sinister elegance."

Versace is okay... i liked some of their collections before. Specially Fall/Winter Collections.. 2005, 2006 I specially like, and 2007 is okay as well.

Versace's not too bad, I think it's just like the remnants of the "old versace" that gives it such a bad reputation. But it's changed.

And now defo with plokhov there, teamed up with donatella's graphic style (which I like) I'm expecting to see amazing things coming from the fashion house.. It's already starting.

I really like this. The suits are amazingly cut and all have an appearance of authority. Even though they are clearly fashion suits, this is something that could be worn to the office, and that's a rare achievement. The coats are also great. I like the croppable trenchcoat, and it's a rarity that I like croppable anything. As for the rest of the collection, while not every single look appeals to me, I can always find a piece or two that is definitely very interesting

00300m.jpg

This look is fantastic, it's a rarity that anything sleeveless works. And it isn't just a great item, the entire look is amazing with the trousers, shoes, etc.

I am also very fond of the variety that is present in this collection. Unlike some others, I don't really need a central "theme" of one word that ties a collection together. It's enough if there are some subtle indicators that yes, these looks are indeed from the same collection, and that's definitely present here.

I am generally not very fond of Versace, but this is a very strong collection.

um...am i going to have to whore my soul and actually buy some 'Versase'?

i can't even pronounce nothin, pass that Versase! Then i spend 400 BUCKS on this, just to be like 'nigga, you ain't up on this!'

i liked f/w 07-08 better, this has some highlights...im sure Versace's clientele will not be disappointed with this.

I think the only reason no one else said anything is that the quarters are big enough that no one really noticed they were squared. Maybe it's just me but it always reminds me of those 6 button fire red pimp suits they advertise over the hip-hop radio stations.

Most of the pieces seem pretty wearable. I think Versace played it safe with this collection, or, maybe we are all just used to the Plohkov aesthetic?

I think it's kind of a brillant marriage of their two aesthetics, embodied in the Plokhov style suits with skinny lapels and squared-off hems ,constructed in typically flashy Versace fabrics (indeed, very shiny). Never mind how surprising is a so muted color pallete that one would never expect to see Versace Spring show. I don't know if I'll ever be willing to fork over that kind of money, but if they retain that shape and color scheme, I'm already anxiously awaiting what Plokhov's suits will look like for fall...

Plokhov did wonders here. Turned the image of Versace men's wear around in my opinion with great sillhouettes and a slightly restrained color pallete comparable to the companies history with color. I think the marriage of both aesthetics resulted in an interesting collection.

Sad to see the Pig Face stole Plokhov's bow at the end of the show.