LOUISVILLE, KY

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

- -----

hey, yeah I'm originally from Louisville, KY.

and yeah, there is some stuff to do there.

There are really only three areas which you should visit while there.

01. The Highlands.

The main road is Bardstown Rd which pretty much everything is on.

For music, try Ear X-Tacy [1543 Bardstown, I think]

A few blocks to the south there are a lot of bookstores, cafes and antique stores, I like Twice Told Books if you are into books [it's on the same side of the street as Ear X-Tacy three blocks down if I remember right].

There are also a lot of good restaurants on this road, I like the Jicama Grill, right next door to Ear X-Tacy. Further north up Bardstown Rd and three blocks over to the west is Lynne's Paradise Cafe [i highly suggest you visit, great food, 945 Barret Ave I think].

If you continue up Bardstown Rd to the north, it turns into Baxter Ave, this street is lined with bars. Most of them are kind of 20 something hard drinking places, but I like Pheonix Hill Tavern.

02. Frankfort Avenue

On the middle of Frankfort Avenue, once the train tracks cross the road, there are a lot of restaurants. I suggest The Irish Rover [two blocks north of the train track crossing on the north side of the street].

03. East Market St

Market Street immediately east of the Interstate overpass is the center of the so called "arts" district, I recommend Pyro Gallery [on Hancock Street just off of Market St in an old Firehouse]. I also like Cinderblock Gallery [it's a bit out of the way all the way at the end of East Main St just before Butchertown].

If you are looking for tourist places, there are a lot.

Churchhill Downs is always fun on a racing day, but if you are going to come here, I would go on Derby or Oaks Day, otherwise it's not as happening [it's on Central Ave off Taylor Blvd, it's kind of in the ghetto].

Downtown there is the Louisville Slugger Factory if you like Baseball or baseball bats or little children screaming, etc... [it's on the end of West Main St before the Interstate overpass].

In terms of shopping, there isn't much, just the usual standard chain stuff largely inside of two malls on Shelbyville Rd. It's nothing you couldn't get anywhere else in the Midwest.

The only major downside to Louisville, is that it's very difficult to get around, unless you have rented a car. The bus system isn't bad, it's just not convenient, especially depending on where you are staying.

As for adventures,

If you are coming in August, I suggest going out to the Kentucky State Fair. It's just like small town America mixed in with a giant livestock festival, it's an experience.

The horse farms in Lexington, KY about an hour away are very scenic and pretty, worth the drive.

I hope this helps, I have a lot more info if you want.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]

- -----

I definately think that Bardstown Rd is the only place worth walking.

Particularly Bardstown Road starting a few blocks north of it's intersection with Eastern Parkway and all the way down to Speed Ave. This is like 10-12 blocks.

For shopping you could try Cherry Bomb [1371 Bardstown Road]. It's a mix of vintage and new stuff.

- -----

[everything is insanity and I have a headache]