Only the finest white cloth will do...

In today's news:

Wolves needs a white button shirt up suitable for dress occassions, but with a bit of "avante-garde" detailing that doesen't fit like a sack of potatoes by 8:00pm this evening. I saw a Band of Outsiders one I liked at Opening Ceremoney, but for 325.00. I didn't like that shit anymore.

I was out all yesterday afternoon at all the hipncool spots downtown...but couldn't find shit for less than 3 bills that I liked.

White Shirt, New York, mad sales.....what is wrong with me?

Help?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Elie Tahari in SoHo... just released their men's line. I picked up a dress shirt there last Christmas. Tiny bit of stretch, slim, but not tight and a placket that allows you to hide the front buttons. It's just enough detail to throw people off without being too flashy and "goth ninja". Ran me around $220.

Dunno about avant-garde, but you can always find a nice slim fit, spread collar Ralph Lauren button-up on sale for under $100 at most department stores. If they don't have slim fit, just size down an entire neck size in the classic fit and you get a pretty damn nice shirt.........

Are you wearing it with cricket boots?

In today's news:

Wolves needs a white button shirt up suitable for dress occassions, but with a bit of "avante-garde" detailing that doesen't fit like a sack of potatoes by 8:00pm this evening. I saw a Band of Outsiders one I liked at Opening Ceremoney, but for 325.00. I didn't like that shit anymore.

I was out all yesterday afternoon at all the hipncool spots downtown...but couldn't find shit for less than 3 bills that I liked.

White Shirt, New York, mad sales.....what is wrong with me?

Help?

Are there Margiela sales still going on? I'd look into that. I also thing there's a 40% or more at Jil Sander, another fine choice. (Or you could go to IF but I think the sale is more of a July thing, right?).

Other brands I like for that sort of thing: Dries Van Noten (often very good pickings during sales), Prada (their synthetic blends are the only worthy one, modern instead of being cheap and plasticky), Ann Demeulemeester (not sure about sales though...). Have you looked at Yohji, more "baggy" but if you're a relatively big guy it could look great, might require a Yohji suit though...

Did you go to 16sur20, anything you like?

Just throwing a few random ideas...

Are you wearing it with cricket boots?

YefS... ITz BetER $4 BrOnWn R BleAcK ShuuzZBOTTZ-?!

Other brands I like for that sort of thing: Dries Van Noten (often very good pickings during sales), Prada (their synthetic blends are the only worthy one, modern instead of being cheap and plasticky), Ann Demeulemeester (not sure about sales though...). Have you looked at Yohji, more "baggy" but if you're a relatively big guy it could look great, might require a Yohji suit though...

Did you go to 16sur20, anything you like?

Just throwing a few random ideas...

Great Ideas. What is "16sur20" pray-tell? Never heard a that. Cloak was by far my favorite pf yesterdays finds, but at like 329. I couldn't bite the bullet, specially since I will be wearing it with a whole bunch of cloak stuff which added up equals around 225 max...I don't know, sometimes bargains spoil you.

Who stocks Dries in the NY that might be on sale I wonder?

raf simons plain whites should be marked down at barneys to the 200 range though I think they are cut longer than usual

OK, I can never seem to find good stuff at barney's. Where is it? People say cloak this, Raf that. I See some RAF by shit sometimes in the co-op, but never any main line or cloak. Is it just not in the co-op, but somewhere else? now that i recollect, i think maybe it is.

Thanks to everyone for their selections, and keep em coming if you like.

i second dries but their dress shirts are std dress cut fit. i bet you would have better luck on the coop floor anyway (apc or age if they still carry that brand). i have a nice white andrew dibben button down with unfinished seams on the placket which i grant you does not help you in your situation. saks had some nice dior button downs as well but is still probably not at your price point yet.

btw IF sale started this past thursday, have not stopped by but dries should deffo be < 300

wolves - cloak and the main raf line are both on the 3rd floor on the free standing racks on the south side of the floor. 16sur20 is aka seize sur vingt, a bespoke shirt shop on elizabeth that was one of the first boutiques in nolita. they have stuff off the peg as well but iirc not unlike the kind of dress shirts you would get at hermes.

OK, I can never seem to find good stuff at barney's. Where is it? People say cloak this, Raf that. I See some RAF by shit sometimes in the co-op, but never any main line or cloak. Is it just not in the co-op, but somewhere else? now that i recollect, i think maybe it is. Thanks to everyone for their selections, and keep em coming if you like.

I've never been to the NY barneys but you need to go to the designer floor/section. Co-op is garbage for the most part comparatively speaking. There you will find all the plain white button ups your heart desires.

wolves - cloak and the main raf line are both on the 3rd floor on the free standing racks on the south side of the floor. 16sur20 is aka seize sur vingt, a bespoke shirt shop on elizabeth that was one of the first boutiques in nolita. they have stuff off the peg as well but iirc not unlike the kind of dress shirts you would get at hermes.

There we go. that's what I was thinking.

Those motherfuckers always give me the stink-eye down there, like: "Uhhhhmmm the fifth florsth up there" cause I go in there looking like a grime ball.

My final question for you, is....Is the rest of Barney's on sale, or just the fucking co-op?

all of barneys is on sale with limited exceptions, mostly 40% off. 3rd floor staff aren't a problem, worst case they will just ignore you unless you look like you're serious about buying something. don't forget to check out the ann stuff on the opposite side of the floor

Done....

and Done.

Thanks for the help out bruv.

IF should have the dries and margiela (margiela boutique will obviously have MM)

Barneys:Cloak and everything else, so it seems

16sur20: what they said

Jil Sander: at Jil Sander

There's a sale going on at Atelier, do they have some white Yohji shirts?

IF should have the dries and margiela (margiela boutique will obviously have MM)

There's a sale going on at Atelier, do they have some white Yohji shirts?

Where is IF? I'm having trouble googling it for obvious reasons.

And I tried to go to Atelier yesterday, but they had already closed, plus even at 40% I wonder If I could affors their stock...

IF is on grand st. and greene st. when i went, the only men stuff they had sale (i could have missed more) was ann demeulemeester stuff. there were some white button downs that i could recall that were around $200+

According to Faust their sales starts later than the average NYC store so you'll see better deals later...

http://16sur20.com/

I love their shirts. Troglodyte Homonculus is bomb too, same design group AFAIK.

I wish band of outsiders could be found on the cheap

Sent you a PM

picked up several boo for 130 at barneys. best fitting shirts ive ever owned and best material ive ever felt. its some thick cotton that i have never seen on other shirts (then again ive never looked).

there's an Italian brand I found out about at L'eclaireur...makes incredible button down shirts, pretty reasonably priced at about 30K yen a pop. The fabric and stitching are out of this world, the cufflink style-button cuff detail is nice, only problem is I have no idea what the hell the brand is called, the tag's font is in wing dings or some shit...

Thom Browne, while the suits make me look like i'm wearing a box, makes really nice, form fitting button downs, esp. the more casual models. Roll the sleeves up, throw on some dark denim and black lace ups and it feels kinda like a modern steve mcqueen...thinkin im gonna get one in grey when it hits 50% off.

Lanvin makes great shirts, but pricey. Martin Margiela also has some decent basic shirts.

there's an Italian brand I found out about at L'eclaireur...makes incredible button down shirts, pretty reasonably priced at about 30K yen a pop. The fabric and stitching are out of this world, the cufflink style-button cuff detail is nice, only problem is I have no idea what the hell the brand is called, the tag's font is in wing dings or some shit...

Thom Browne, while the suits make me look like i'm wearing a box, makes really nice, form fitting button downs, esp. the more casual models. Roll the sleeves up, throw on some dark denim and black lace ups and it feels kinda like a modern steve mcqueen...thinkin im gonna get one in grey when it hits 50% off.

Lanvin makes great shirts, but pricey. Martin Margiela also has some decent basic shirts.

30K Yen a pop huh.....?

What the fuck is a "Yen" :-)

This little query brought you out of the woodwork.

Interesting.

Anyway....Thanks to all who gave helpful advice. I suspected at least one "use the Search function" and was ready to counter attack in the vicious form i sometimes enjoy, but alas....no need.

For those who are interested, I went to Barney's, and everything was on sale, which meant, that since I had just picked up a 300 dollar check from a friend for a favor I did him, I could have any shirt I wanted that they had in my size. Since You were all so helpful, I figured I'd give a quick run down (excuse the fact that I don't know my shirt terms for shit:

Cloak: Tried on their thin collar white button down with "covered buttons" (see what I mean about termanology...) in XL. It had some other nice Cloak detailing, and was the same shirt I saw at the flagship for like 349 the day before. I'm fairly slender, and 6'3", but I have slighlty broader shoulders than some, and I thought the XL would accomodate. Instead, It hugged the shoulders nicely, but left too much open space right below my pits, and a bit down through the waist. There were no Larges, so I disparred.

Raf Simons: The one I wanted was a 52, but the shit was still too small! His sizing is definitely fucked, as has been reported in the past. It was white with some light stripes created my small creases in the fabric, with a small white "R" embroidered by the chest, which was nearly invisible. It was too tight, and MMMAAAAADDDD short. Tried another from Raf, but It had the stupid Navy blue "R" embroiderd at a little above hip level. What the fuck?

Jil Sander: Nice. Real nice. Fit me perfectly. The collar was a bit larger than I would have liked, but it made for a classic silhouette. This is a shirt I will try and grab at the next markdown. They only wanted a buck 49 for it at the moment.

Dries Van Noten: This one was OK, but there was something I didn't love about it. It was real straight forward, but didn't work as well as the Sander for some reason.

Balenciaga: The sales lady brought this to me in her attempts to be helpful. I hated it. The things run small as fuck, and even teo sizes up, I could barley fit it well. I didn't even bother buttoning it up.

Band of Outsiders: This one was beautiful. Some sort of heavier "washed" cotton with a very organic feel to it. It fit short (essentially un-tuckable) across the bottom, but otherwise, the fit was impeccable. If I was looking for something more casual for jeans and boots/laceup wear, this would have been an excellent choice, at near 200 dollars less than the one I saw at OC the day before. But I wasn't.

Then she came back with a L she had uncovered of the Cloak shirt! It fit perfectly. After agonizing between that and the Sander, I decided that I might as well get it since it was there last season, even though it cost me 70 more.

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase.

Now OMC and I (or at least I) will look sharp for our dinner party pick-pocket spree this coming weekend.

Thank you.

Now OMC and I (or at least I) will look sharp for our dinner party pick-pocket spree this coming weekend.

i'm actually headed to Barney's right now, I'm going to buy the Raf shirt and Balenciaga shirt you tried on and have my tailor fuse them together for me for the perfect Two-Face,

dapper psycho-killer look.