Diesel Denim?

Furion

I would actually disagree with Diors as "investment" pairs, as they seem to not hold up *incredibly* well to a lot of wear. The denim leaves a little to be desired, as well. The fit is a little too trendy and may not fit your body or style in the coming years/decades. A good investment pair would be a pair of 5000VXs from Samurai. The color gets better with age, they have a nice straight fit with plenty of wiggle-room as you get older, are 17oz's of durable wonderment, the hardware is top notch and the details are incredible (beautiful button fly, chain stitch, red-line and silver selvage, well designed hand-pressed rivets, pure indigo, deer leather patch, two-tone, heavy duty stitching, great customer service with the English-speaking Toshiko, ring spun denim, superb color falling, ect). I feel like the weft threads on this thing could be made of kevlar.

Any pair of Warehouse jeans would be a great investment.

even a pair of earnest sewns would do you well..they're fairly affordable and the quality is quite nice..

other brands would be edwin, rag & bone, sling & stone..good quality IMO of course..others may of course disagree, but im in love with edwin..(and japanese jeans in general...that and the women of course:D)

i recall being on honestforum a few days ago and seeing a thread where someone wore a pair of diesels everyday for 9 months. It stopped at 9 months because they fell apart. You see people on here post pictures of how their jeans look after 3, 4+ years.

If you put aside the relatively shitty quality of Diesel denim (anyone who's worn both a raw denim brand and Diesel could tell you the difference is significant), there are tasteful cuts and washes out there. Look for something dark with a straightforward sillhouette (no bootcuts, no flares...)

edit: also, washed jeans... Prps? they're a bit pricey but i was very impressed with the pair that was hanging in detour last time i was there.

I've said this before - your average jeans shopper is not interested in jeans that last 5+ years. At $200 + these are mostly fashion-types who want to get the latest styles which means they switch them up frequently...

you have much to learn, young n00b.
i recall being on honestforum a few days ago and seeing a thread where someone wore a pair of diesels everyday for 9 months. It stopped at 9 months because they fell apart. You see people on here post pictures of how their jeans look after 3, 4+ years.

HOLY SHIT! He has anecdotal evidence PROVING that X brand of jeans is better than shitty-ass Diesels!

My point is that individuals' perceptions of quality are more-or-less fluid, if only because everyone has a different criterion for quality.

And if you understood that the consumer economy has entrenched interests in manipulating those criteria, then maybe you wouldn't be so assfaced about defending your favorite brands.

Let's put it another way, most of the population would see denimheads as social deviants worthy of ridicule. Does that make you an elitist douchebag? No. Does it make the mainstream population ignorant and judgmental? Again, no.

What DOES make you an elitist douchebag is your attitude towards people with different opinions.

I've noticed that on Sufu that there is a strong attachment to [1] Japanese denim lore (anachronistic, manufactured lore, to be sure), [2] the unique fade aspect of raw denim, and [3] creating differences between "limited" brands and "mass-marketed" brands to maintain a sense elitism. Does it make brands like PBJ and Samurai any qualitatively better than Diesel? Probably not.

It is safe to assume you have never touched a pair of PBJs or Samurais

we're a denim nazi farm here.

get with it or get the fuck out.

you're posting your radical anti-elitist sentiments on a elitist board.

go preach something from the bible, bitch.

DIOR 4:10 - thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's 31337 online argumentation skillz. Also, my jeans are better than yours.

It is safe to assume you have never touched a pair of PBJs or Samurais

I own both Diesels and japanese selvage/dry denim. They both have their perks. I like japanese selvage because the material and construction is high quality, I like breaking them in and making them my own, and in my area atleast, its an uncommon thing.

I like prewashed brands like Diesel and R&R because they come out looking prime, without having to wear them every damn day for months on end, and not being able to wash them.

And I know we dont care what anyone thinks (yet we buy brands we see other people sporting, post pictures of our outfits and ask for opinions), but from the compliments i've received from friends, acquaintances, girls at the club or bar, all of them have been for my prewashed jeans. The average non denim geek doesnt understand or appreciate dry denim or levis repros and they misjudge them as plain ordinary cheap jeans.

And ive tried explaining it to these people before, but I end up just alienating myself.

Prewashed designer jeans = pop music

Premium selvage = cult classic

Diesel is by far the best denim of the mass-market, pre-wash brands. I have TR, R&R, 7FAM, and Diesel hands-down has better denim, better washes (sure, some are extreme...but the best Diesel wash is better than any other wash from any of the above), and such a great variety of fits.

Now, I've never had a pair of 45RPM or 5EP in my hands...but I have seen many others, and Diesel still seems to be very, very good. They're not selvage, but the denim is soft and durable (in my opinion). It feels very substansive in your hands.

Diesel is by far the best denim of the mass-market, pre-wash brands. I have TR, R&R, 7FAM, and Diesel hands-down has better denim, better washes (sure, some are extreme...but the best Diesel wash is better than any other wash from any of the above), and such a great variety of fits.

Now, I've never had a pair of 45RPM or 5EP in my hands...but I have seen many others, and Diesel still seems to be very, very good. They're not selvage, but the denim is soft and durable (in my opinion). It feels very substansive in your hands.

weak.

denim's not for the faint hearted.

Furion, most of the guys here are irrationally prejudiced against brands they consider inferior for one idiosyncratic reason or another. Diesel is one of those brands. You know how most heterosexual American males are emotionally triggered when their sexuality is questioned? The same thing happens to the guys on here when you mention Diesel jeans.
What DOES make you an elitist douchebag is your attitude towards people with different opinions.

... takes one to know one.

weak.

denim's not for the faint hearted.

The whole allure of denim is, to me, it's populist thing. It is for everyone, that's the whole point.

Putting up with raw denim cutting the backs of your knees til they bleed (only done that once), wearing denim so tight you can't button it because eventually it will look awesome, washing your pants every 6 months, that's not for the faint of heart. Denim can be for anyone.

Truth is, I cant play sports in diesel denim. It's just too shitty of denim. When I find a good pick up soccer game, i dont want to worry about getting grass stains on the wash, the seems unraveling, the crotch blowing, etc, etc. Thats why I wear jap denim jeans and raw denim. They will rarely tear, and grass stains are welcome. And, in the end i'm truly awarded with beautiful colors and creases for all the activity i've spent in raw denim jeans. Trust me, I get sick combs.

also I've seen TONS of crotch blowouts on people's japanese denim here.

RE: The sailors kissing. Diesel is known for intentionally outlandish ad campaigns. And, wow what a shock there's gay men involved in the fashion industry? <rolls eyes>. Besides which they've also done ads like this:

DieselAd.jpg

http://www.trendencias.com/images/DieselAd.jpg

Well then, you do understand that at one time Diesel jeans were stiff and raw, and that all raw jeans soften up eventually too, then...right?

you take things tooooooooo seriously dawg.

no shit things get soft, you softy.

don't take things to heart.