high school vs. university

doduo

why would redoing grade 12 a good idea? just go to a community college and transfer, redoing grade 12 is the same thing as not being able to graduate.

what's better?

- redoing grade 12 for another year, and possibly getting into a decent school

or

- going to a less-respected school

how in the hell is repeating grade 12 going to make you an attractive applicant to a decent school? your application will be immediately round-filed.

how in the hell is repeating grade 12 going to make you an attractive applicant to a decent school? your application will be immediately round-filed.

no, most canadians universities (as far as i'm aware) have a much more transparent admission system cause they base their admission SOLELY on your high school / CEGEP grades. generally, applying to a univerity takes about 15 min to fill out a form and give them access to your transcript, that's it. no essay or standardized test. In Quebec for exemple, we have a standardized GPA called the R-scale and cut-off points for each programs are published by universities so you usually have a really good idea where you can get in or not. because of this, it doesn't matter if you redo your 12th grade.

it's hard giving you good advice without knowing which program you want to enroll in and at which school you gained admission. but i would generally strongly advice against doing that. if you work hard at university and get good grades, you won't have that many doors closed even if you come from a weaker university (it's one of the nicest thing about the canadian, the hierarchy of schools if there, but it's much weaker than in the US for example). also even good university have weak program so getting in a good uni and then switching program could be an option.

since you're in toronto, it'll probably be the same as it was for me. i ended up redoing grade 12 after i only got into york the first time. that extra year fucking sucked, but i ended up getting into all of the schools/programs i wanted to.

seeing all your friends going off to universities and having a lot of fun was enough motivation for me to not fuck around when i was trying to raise my top 6 grades. and don't worry, unless you're applying to a super competitive program, they're not going to hold the extra time against you.

The lack of freedom aspect killed me in high school

University for the win; easier to cram the night before for an exam and pass it, opposed to high school where you actually have to ace your marks

You don't NEED to go to a good uni to make yourself something. Just make the right contacts and work hard and if you really have what it takes it will come out in due time. And to echo what someone said above, re-doing the last year of high school would not exactly attract the right attention.

The lack of freedom aspect killed me in high school

University for the win; easier to cram the night before for an exam and pass it, opposed to high school where you actually have to ace your marks

You don't NEED to go to a good uni to make yourself something. Just make the right contacts and work hard and if you really have what it takes it will come out in due time. And to echo what someone said above, re-doing the last year of high school would not exactly attract the right attention.

especially the god damn VCE system.

gah, can't buy your way into university that easily