Why the hell is Hermès so fucking expensive??

lowrider

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you referring to when I mentioned bespoke John Lobb wallets? Bespoke can also apply to shoes, wallets etc. as it applies to tailored suits/shirts.

If you choose the leather, and the wallet is made to your exact specifications from scratch, then yes, it would qualify as bespoke.

Ah, thanks for the info. I thought that anything other than suits/shirts would be "custom made" or "made to order" or along those lines, since I thought the origins of the word bespoke applied only to fabric for suits.

Seems it has evolved.

This has been a most entertaining read. I'm + repped out for the next 24hrs reppin' all the people who put a smile on my face regardless if it was flame comment or not. Thanks.

Couple of points that I didn't post up but now feel that I should:

1) I'm going through a rather tumultuous period in my life and have had some recent breakthroughs and want to treat myself to something nice since I deserve it. So yes, I am somewhat serious in purchasing it otherwise I wouldn't have asked the SA to bring it in. However, a completely ridiculous luxury purchase such as this should also be completely mood driven in my humble opinion. I'll just have to see what my mood is when the wallet arrives. Seeing it in the flesh, so to speak, would be a huge factor in whether or not I purchase it. I did warn the SA that I've never bought anything for Hermès due to their high prices and that I would really have to be in love with it to buy it. She said that I would be under no obligation to buy it and that it wasn’t a problem. Chances are it’ll sell here faster than Palm Beach due to all the Japanese tourists who spend ludicrous amounts of money on couture brands.

2) The wallet in question is perfect in my opinion because:

- it's very understated as most Hermès leather goods are

- it has the perfect interior configuration for me for all my wallet junk

- it comes in orange (which I love)

- in all my hunting, I’ve yet to find a single wallet that matches all of my requirements above (not that that justifies the price but it’s worth noting)

The original post was me venting a bit for finding something I really wanted but being conflicted due to its insanely high price. Haven't you guys experienced that before?

Maybe I should have moved this to supertrash. Mods, please move if deemed appropriate.

Cheers everyone!

I don't think anyone here can tell you how to spend your money, but anything over $1,000 for a wallet is just kind of crazy. In my humble opinion, I think you should spend that money on something like a vacation. The wallet, albiet something you love, will probably get replaced in a years time. A vacation on the other hand, will stick in your memory forever. That, in my mind, is a much better way to spend money.

Can someone help me find a well constructed, high quality, elegant, zip around wallet that has no coin pocket? I don't care what brand it is.

Thanks!

I think Hermés might make something similar to what you're looking for... probably going to be pretty expensive though.

One of the less intelligent things I've seen posted on this board. Hermes had revenues of over 1.5 BILLION euros last year...........pretty sure they aren't having a problem with "so few buying their stuff." They also don't make "little of" their merchandise as their products are carried throughout the world at hundreds of storefronts (Hermes, Neiman Marcus, etc.). In addition, they are expensive because A.) It is a long-running (since the early 1800s), well-known and established luxury label B.) They use premium materials (exquisitie silks and leathers) C.) Most of their goods are handmade and well-constructed D.) You're an idiot. Either way, a wallet by them shouldn't cost that much. I am imagining it has some sort of unique tooling/characteristics, since their other wallets don't even run near that range.

I think a large chunk comes from their Birkin bags which goes for like 5,000 euro or more a bag, has a long waiting list and customed made.

Most of their revenue also comes from relatively inexpensive things like the famous silk scarves and perfumes.

I cant imagine how many thousand units of perfumes and scarves they have to move to make 1.5 billion euro last year.

I cant imagine how many thousand units of perfumes and scarves they have to move to make 1.5 billion euro last year.

All of those fashion houses make their base revenue from trifles like perfumes and accessories.

I'm sure there are huge amounts sold at the various Duty Free Shops in airports.

All of those fashion houses make their base revenue from trifles like perfumes and accessories.

I'm sure there are huge amounts sold at the various Duty Free Shops in airports.

Hmm quite true. But we would never know unless Hermes is listed and their financial statements are open for public scrutiny.

I don't think anyone here can tell you how to spend your money, but anything over $1,000 for a wallet is just kind of crazy. In my humble opinion, I think you should spend that money on something like a vacation. The wallet, albiet something you love, will probably get replaced in a years time. A vacation on the other hand, will stick in your memory forever. That, in my mind, is a much better way to spend money.

True. I'll just have to see when it gets here on Friday.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Great wallet, go for it! I believe things like wallet, watch, jewelry - if you really like it pay for it. If you have 1750$ to spend you better keep it in great expensive quality wallet ^^) I paid only 300$ for my Dsquared but i never regret that purchase.

If you pay that much for a wallet you're not going to have anything to put in the fucking thing.
If she can afford 1750$ wallet take a guess does she have money or not ?

Someone smoke and spends money on that, some drink and spend money on that, some buy wallets and bags instead of smoking and drinking :)

Ps. Oh just noticed you didnt buy it :)

Great wallet, go for it! I believe things like wallet, watch, jewelry - if you really like it pay for it. If you have 1750$ to spend you better keep it in great expensive quality wallet ^^) I paid only 300$ for my Dsquared but i never regret that purchase.

If she can afford 1750$ wallet take a guess does she have money or not ?

Someone smoke and spends money on that, some drink and spend money on that, some buy wallets and bags instead of smoking and drinking :)

Ps. Oh just noticed you didnt buy it :)

This post is so, so very stupid.

Dsquared. "She". Retarded Smoking/Drinking analogy. The fact that its a response to an 8 month old thread.

Wow.