Partying in Vancouver

broneck

I know this should've gone in Superjetset, but the Trash is, as previously noted, on fire and I figured I'd get more feedback here.

I'm heading to B.C. in July and have no clue about what bars to head to (the fashion/shopping thread has already been well covered). In Toronto I tend to frequent the Drake, The Gladstone, and 751...wondering if there's any joints in Van similar in atmosphere/music played/etc.

If not, just anything awesome.

Thanks kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, just noticed this... surprised I'm the first to respond, especially since I know jack-shit about this stuff. :( But thought I would bring this back from the dead anyway.

Can you elaborate on what Drake, Gladstone, and 751 are like? What are you looking for specifically?

www.salbourg.com

www.halfalive.ca

I'm usually at Salbourg more lately since Half Alive moved super far in East Van. Paul Devro is the lead at Salbourg (Salon des Bourgiosie) and he is one of the best DJ in Vancouver. Tyler Fedchuk (also amazing) heads Half Alive. both parties play mostly electro, baile funk, and indie/rock mash up stuff. if you've seen my waywts and recognize me come say hi!

BTW Tiranis I saw you across the street on Robson 2 Saturdays ago. I think you were with your mom? and you were wearing your whiskered Diors. I would've ran across the street to say hi but... I didn't. next time.

BTW Tiranis I saw you across the street on Robson 2 Saturdays ago. I think you were with your mom? and you were wearing your whiskered Diors. I would've ran across the street to say hi but... I didn't. next time.

Ha, nice... yeah, that was definitely me. Makes me realize that I have you on MSN and haven't even talked to you, way too busy on my current project, but it's ending in a week... finally (after 3.5 months of hell).

Back on track though, haven't been to Salbourg nor Half-Alive, need to check them both out. I don't have many cool friends, so I end up at places like Cellar, Richards on Richards, or Commodore. Actually, Cellar is pretty good in itself, it's just the people who go there aren't very cool...

BTW I was thinking, we should totally do a Vancouver meet-up. Toronto has had theirs and there's plenty of Van-area posters here, plus we have diamonds... that makes us even more special. Or at least we should have a Vancouver thread, if nothing else. ;)

Tiranis, the bars I'm looking for...I hate to use the word "hipster" bars, but basically bars that aren't bumping Top 40 to the masses...they're dance bars, but they're not "clubs" does that make sense to you? The websites you linked me are ridiculously similar to what i'd see at 751 etc...

www.myspace.com/famousplayers are the dj's that spin on Saturdays.

Also, if you guys did the Van meetup in July I would so be down for an East meets West SuFu meetup. Thoughts?

Ok, I'll get a thread going later in the day, assuming no one else creates one before me... been working 24h straight, too tired to think what to put in there.

We should get some Seattle people to come too, if they're not too cool for us, that is. I might end up talking to the guys from Komakino about the meet-up if there's enough people interested, they do parties at their store and they know good DJs...

Aaaaanyway, time to sleep for an hour and then off to a business meeting... ugh!

We should get some Seattle people to come too, if they're not too cool for us, that is. I might end up talking to the guys from Komakino about the meet-up if there's enough people interested, they do parties at their store and they know good DJs...

komakino seems more fit for a stylezeitgeist mash up. but maang, if you could talk campbell into hosting a supertalk shindig, i'm there.

Ok, here's the thread: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=27946

As for Komakino, I think a lot of posters are interested in stuff like Ann D, Attachment, Rick Owens, Number Nine, etc. so I wouldn't say that Komakino is that much out there in terms of style... we could also, possibly, try doing it at Dutil (which is way too small though). But I'm just speculating here, as I haven't talked to either Rob or Campbell...

clopek, if your there on a sunday night, go to lucy mae browns. its hip hop and its better than 751 by infinity.

its in gastown. i think the bartender told me wednesdays were also good last time i was there.