Koyaanisqatsi

angrypork

What does everyone think of this movie? I haven't seen it yet but have seen clips and think it's a really interesting concept. The camerawork is beautiful and makes the whole world seem overwhelming.

For those of you who have seen it have you watched it while high, because it would seem like a really good movie to watch in that state? I'm trying to get this movie for 4/20.

I wouldn't be able to say anything about watching it high, but I'm a huge fan of this film. The trick is not to try analyzing the first time through, simply allow yourself to become enveloped by it.

I haven't seen either of the others in this "series" (Naqoyqatsi, and I can't remember the other), but I have heard this is the best of what I believe was three films.

We're discussing this film again at the moment in my Great Books class and its relation to Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. We actually discussed it last year as well with a completely different angle at analysis, which shows that for how beautiful it is there's enough substance to stand up to it if you're willing to put the time into it. There's a very obvious surface-level "point" being made, but it lends itself to comparison and using as an example of other ideas as well.

i saw philip glass perform this live with it projected behind him

one of the greatest musical performances of my life.

That sounds amazing - I would rep you but I have to wait 24 Hr - catch you on the morrow.

I love this movie as well btw.

I haven't seen either of the others in this "series" (Naqoyqatsi, and I can't remember the other), but I have heard this is the best of what I believe was three films.

We're discussing this film again at the moment in my Great Books class and its relation to Turgenev's Fathers and Sons. We actually discussed it last year as well with a completely different angle at analysis, which shows that for how beautiful it is there's enough substance to stand up to it if you're willing to put the time into it. There's a very obvious surface-level "point" being made, but it lends itself to comparison and using as an example of other ideas as well.

the middle film is powaqqatsi. all three are excellent, though the score for naqoy rivals the first film in its awesomeness.

really interested to hear how Fathers and Sons was related to the flims, servo.

i read that in a 19th c. russian lit. class in college, but i'm not immediately able to reference it against more recent viewings of the -qatsi trilogy.

I'm having trouble recalling specifically (this was back in the first quarter of school and I don't have my notes with me), but I believe my teacher was drawing a parrallel between the old perspectives vs. the new perspectives, and the way that each was portrayed in the "-qatsi" trilogy (I like that!). There were also points that he believed were relevant to the discussion of Nihilism (we're reading Kafka at the moment, as well), but I really can't remember too many specifics. Once I get my notebook back I'll see if I took more specific notes.