Levi's projects, with pics...

shoji

Hey folks....so glad to have found this forum...lots of great info and pics. I've been stuck in vintage-land so long, I have a lot of homework to do to get caught up on all the relevant denim makers, but I thought I'd share some of my current vintage and lvc Levis projects.

The thing that is common in all of these pieces is that I aquired them after their first wash, or in the case of my first pair of lvc's -I didn't pay much attention to the washing. So, I'm stuck doing what I can with them, but I think I have plenty to work with.

I've been collecting (buying and selling) vintage denim since about '95. In '96 I had a gorgeous pair of circa 1966 Levi's 505's that I thrifted (back then you could still find vintage on the rare occasion)...cost me a few dollars. They were super dark and great size...and when I wrecked my car and needed cash, I had to sell 'em. To console myself I went down to American Rag in SF and bought myself a pair of Levi's "new" line of reproduction jeans. From what I remember then ('96 -and you'll have to correct what I'm getting wrong here) Levi's hadn't introduced the "LVC" moniker, but just had a few pair of raw denim reproductions -I remember the 201 bucklebacks, the 1955's, and maybe a few others. I picked up a pair of the 1955's. So, here they are, these many years later...I'd previously been rocking the fat-roll rockabilly look, but since then I had the jeans hemmed to just be a nice straight leg, with no breaks or excessive bunching up (and, yeah...I'm a short guy).

1955b.jpg

I think I've washed them 3-4 times, inside out, cold water, hang dry.

1955a.jpg

1955c.jpg

here's the inside tag..maybe you gents can tell for sure what incarnation these are, or what they're typically referred to as....

1955tag.jpg

Okay, so now by comparison, here is a pair of original XX's...they have the offset back belt loop, LEVI's on both sides of the red tab, and a very slight, though discernable trademark "r" on the crease of the red tab. I haven't washed these since I got 'em, and they still have a good deal of color in them....

XXa.jpg

XXb.jpg

XXc.jpg

to compare the two side by side:

XX1955compare.jpg

....this post is part one...part two continues below....

okay...part 2...

Here's a pair of big "E" 505's...I'm guessing from the late 60's/early 70's -probably right before the "E" change. The stitching is pretty orange-y, and the top button is ugly brown, but they're nice and dark, and the denim feels great.

505.jpg

505a.jpg

Finally, here's another pair of repro-Levi's -exactly the same as the first one's I posted. A friend grew out of them and gave them to me. As you can see, there wasn't much care in the cultivation of hige, or honeycombs, and I suspect they were washed regularly. You can definitely recognize the difference between the lvc denim and the vintage denim at this point. The lvc denim is pretty thin and soft...and the fade doesn't have the strong vertical indigo striping that the vintage fade has. But, I figure they're worth trying to do something with (lots of starching I guess).

old1955.jpg

old1955a.jpg

old1955b.jpg

and now...a shot comparing all four pairs....

all4.jpg

finally, these last pics are just for novelty's sake.

I've been collecting all kinds of 1940's workwear, and these are a favorite pair of overalls with a great fade (never washed by me)...

overall.jpg

and...I wish I could say I still had this piece...but you know how it goes....it's hard to keep a $3,000+ jacket in your closet. (I sold it about 1999 when the market was still pretty strong)...

buckleback.jpg

...this is one of those things I still have regretful dreams about....

Anyway, thanks again for all the great inspiration and information here, and thanks for letting me share. I'll be trying out a bunch of the tricks I've learned here so far on these pieces, so I'll update down the road and let you see how things progress.

cheers,

shoji

Welcome SUFU!

Two questions;

How tall are you?

Is that an Impala you're standing in front of?

thanks!

height- 5' 5 1/2" (that 1/2" is important!)

It's actually a '64 Bel Air (the poor man's Impala)

quick brag list of old vehicles...by aquisition chronology...

1954 Dodge truck ("Job-Rated")

1969 BSA (250cc single-cylinder)

1963 Ford Falcon station wagon (170c w/manual trans)

1964 Chevy Bel Air

1960 Hillman Minx

1965 Ford Fairlane

1963 Ford Falcon station wagon -(260 w/auto trans)

1964 Ford Econoline Van....my favorite...

van1.jpg

greenmachineint.jpg

van2.jpg

....but now I'm in NYC...so, no car.......

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Just got One 1955 501 Yesterday. I love them. I got them in size 30-34.

I was wondering if Vintage levi's will have size 30-34 in there next collection?? And I wanted to know if size 30-34 is a "Normal LVC" size. and if that size is hard to find??

Thanks alot