pool vs magic trade show

Pool for sure. Magic is a great show, but unless you have a truckton of pre-scheduled meetings and an extra-fancy booth you won't get coverage. Pool is the place to be for the smaller time companies. The only positive/negative part of trade shows is that your brand can get shut down in a day if you don't turn on anyone with your designs. Trade shows often make or break a label, so I'd abstain from participating until you understand how they work and the crowd.

Like with my line, it doesn't warrant a trade show. I don't fit the "mass appeal mass produced" angle, I cater to boutique clientelle and need to function as such. Go to one before you sign up. You will learn a TON just by observing others mistakes.

*(and after typing this I realized I did it all in the perspective of the small business; haha, it's becoming my life.)*

Pool gets the really creative fresh boutique type work. The real edgy stuff will be there. Expect more designs in flow with the trend at magic. If you are a buyer, attend accordingly, but attend both if you can. As for euro shows, There are too many to mention. The best in europe is to do a show (or attend shows) during fashion week.

Edited by SongAngel on May 21, 2005 at 07:21 AM

Edited by SongAngel on May 21, 2005 at 07:21 AM

MAGIC

If you get into the High 5 Campground, it's much better than if being at Pool for many reasons. First of all, it's only limited to 40-50 lines, as opposed to the 400+ company swapmeet at Pool. Also, regardless of why people are in Vegas that week, almost everyone steps foot in Magic at one point or another, whereas many don't make it to Pool. Magic also has the "name," which worldwide boutiques come out for.

Most importantly, it depends on what kind of lines you want to be surrounded by. Obviously, the buyers are looking for a particular brand or company that suits their store, so you want to be near the brands which are most similar to your niche.

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

i dont think POOL is going anywhere. since we were at POOL fall of 04 and at MAGIC at spring of 05, i think i can speak a little bit to the differences.

1) we got more sales at POOL than at MAGIC. that could be chalked up to any number of reasons.... fall sales are often better than spring, maybe we ran into more buyers that were interested in us there, etc.

2) MAGIC has a strong financial and marketing backing that POOL does not. look at the money that's pumped into campground, and the press releases. MAGIC has a lot of hype surrounding it, and in streetwear, hype is everything. POOL is doing well, yes... and they have attracted a very nice niche that prior to campground did not exist. MAGIC realized that buyers were looking for more up and comers, and campgroup was made to mimic the minimal rail trade show scene.

3) while both require an application process, i think it's harder to get into MAGIC because as bobby mentioned, the lines are limited. POOL says they cap it but more and more people get in there. its hard to maneuver your way around that show... although nima and raad over at digitalgravel.com said that the organization was a whole lot better this past season. basically, campground right now is what POOL was a few seasons ago... a small show of good up and comers.

3sixteen fabrications // new york city.

http://www.3sixteen.com

thas wassup

people go to vegas it's because of magic. if pool and project cease to exist, people will still go to vegas every feb and aug for magic. that's a fact. magic came up with the campground and all those new spots this past february (platform, etc) which were nice. and the buyers that go to magic are established and mean business. they write. the ones at pool...some are alright but some are flakey. the kind of buyers that cancel orders. i hate that.

im just waiting for some asshole to try and school me because i am probably wrong. oh wait....no i'm not.