best headphone jams

mlproject

I've thought about this a while back. Mainly what is the best music to listen to while in public places, walking, at school, ect.

I decided that general house is probably the most awkward to walk to especially if it's around 130-140 BPM. I constantly find myself trying to "beatmatch" my steps with the music.

Now, on the other hand Minimal House is really fun to walk to because it's usually around 110 BPM and the beats are abstract and the individual samples are quite reserved and not in your face... you know.

If I am having a bad day at school and I 'hate everyone' I'll throw on some really abrasive, noise/post industial/IDM, ie, The Boredom's, Borbetomagus, LR's Metal Machine music, Painkiller, Syndical Sucide, Donna Summer, ect. Sometimes Drone works too.

Shoegaze is really fun to listen to while walking.

pretty much anything with a PS wall-of-sound feel is fun aswell.

I've been listening to RAMP's Come Into Knowleage lately while at school. this makes me really happy and talkative.

I try not to listen to anything to cliche while i'm in public (YYY, Metric, Peter, Bjorn, and John, Hot Chip, Bloc Party, Most Hip Hop) because it makes me feel like a tool.

Then, finally, if I am heading home i'll usually listen to some MC-less Drum and Bass or some Dubstep mixes.

Oh Skream- Skream and Portishead's self titled are two records that I feel every human being should have to listen to at least once- while walking, they make you feel really fucking cool, and 'above the game'.

yeah.

Etymotic headphones remain the best purchase i have ever made. The pair i got are the ER-6 and the sheer volume the tiny buds produce is astounding. Also they are completely sealed in your ear with two layers of silicone making them also fucntion as noise cancelers. This is probably the best feature of these phones. Superior sound and the comfort of in ear noise cancellation without any batteries or any bogus ish. Tunes that i bump include Massive Attack, Justice and other Ed Banger Artisits, Daft Punk, some Game, some Nas and definitely the Wu.

bjork-headphones

not sure if ull like bjork..ppl usually dont. but this songs designed to be heard in headphones. and the 'resonance' is pretty awesome.

i only wear headphones when i sleep/using my mpcs..i got a blk/prp technics and its too heavy to carry around and the cords are too long.

i'll agree with the shoegaze. most of the stuff i'll zone out on will be stuff like that or any atmospheric kind of shit like air, zero 7, slowdive, etc. i also really like toughguy hardcore in headphones ... say skarhead, hatebreed, all out war, blood for blood, etc.

boards of canada - music has the right to children

is such an amazing album when listening to it with headphones. in a dark room. while high.

most atmospheric/electronic music comes across better through headphones, in my opinion. squarepusher, plaid, sigur ros, portishead, absinthe blind, etc etc...

I live on the outskirts of a small coastal town in deepest, darkest Wales and most nights I walk into town and back which is at least a couple of miles there and back (usually starting out about 11pm).

This has lead me into the search for the perfect walking music.

I don't think it's just headphones vs. speakers though I think you can also seperate it into night time and daytime headphone music.

For late night strolling (and maybe a bit of stickering..) you have to try Squarepusher's Budhakan Mindphone EP. It meshes perfectly with the darkness, half seen movements and sodium lights of the street at night. The only downside is that it has a tendency to make me a little paranoid, especially if I'm somewhere isolated (or where I shouldn't be). It's sort of not-quite-creepy.

At the moment I'm really feeling Tycho. If you go to his website you can stream his first full-length album and see what you think. For headphones but indoors I'd recommend Bonobo.

Pretty much everything Tru Thoughts realeases is fantastic.

All these artists are atmospheric, downtempo sort of stuff (what I'm mostly into, especially at night, headphones on, beavering away in Photoshop).

I constantly find myself trying to "beatmatch" my steps with the music.

Yeah I do that too.

Oh Skream- Skream and Portishead's self titled are two records that I feel every human being should have to listen to at least once- while walking, they make you feel really fucking cool, and 'above the game'.

I only have Dummy but yeah, Portishead were amazing. Though I don't think they sound any better through headphones than through a good hi-f. They definately sound better after dark though.

drone metal, shoegaze, idm

yeah, recommend some good Drone Metal bands/people.

I only have Dummy but yeah, Portishead were amazing. Though I don't think they sound any better through headphones than through a good hi-f. They definately sound better after dark though.

You have to get their self titled pm me if you want it. Dummy > Portishead x405139512.

And you said "were"- you know they're still together?

oh and I definitely agree with the mention of badhakan mindphone. Great record.

And you said "were"- you know they're still together?

For real!? I dunno why but I just thought they weren't around anymore.

You have to get their self titled pm me if you want it.

Do you mean you can like email it to me or something?

Thanks for the link Keagan, I owe you one.

I just finished listening to it now, I really like it.

I think there's something almost cinematic about Portishead's music, as if there's some unspoken narrative floating beneath the surface of the lyrics.

can't be assed doing a full reply to this now....

but anything with depth, subtleties, layers to it.

monolake 'momentum' is sublime....as is a lot of abstract/IDM electronica, minimal, shoegaze, post rock and metal. oooh...and drum and bass. of course.