riding the greyhound.

Larry Bird

anyone have any interesting stories when riding the hound? ive been on many of bad trips across the u.s. and every time i vow to myself its the last time i'll ever set foot on a greyhound bus again, but a few months later im riding again..

some of the worst trips:

san antonio, tx to pontiac, michigan...

houston tx, to denver, co (2 times)

i think this summer im gonna spring for a plane ticket..im getting to old for this shit.

anyone still ride?

I have always loved my greyhound trips.

Sure not exactly high class but I have always met cool people and managed to strike interesting conversations with others.

From the guy telling me he liked mayo with his fries after he went on a trip in Europe to the crazy college kids embarking on a 24+ hour bus ride for spring break.

The one convo I remember the best was talking to this Coltrane fan. He had a binder full of Coltrane cds. Never saw so much Coltrane in my life. :D

The worst thing I ever heard?

A driver was hitching a ride on the bus. While we were waiting for the driver for the trip the hitching one spent a good 5 minutes saying how unsafe Greyhound was.

How the drivers for years have been getting shot because there is no plexiglas cabin that surrounds them so they have no means of protection.

He even went as far as acting out some attack scenarios

Coincidentially that was the last time I ever rode Greyhound.

I don't mind Greyhound for the most part apart from the time delays, super high costs and slow buses.

My best bus journey was using the chinatown bus companies going between Boston, Nyc, Dc, Philly etc all along the east coast. Super cheap and actually on time!

Guest StuckOnStupid

i generally dont hate riding the dog. mind you, i don't ride without xanax, ever. 2-3 bars from every 12 hours of the journey.

The last time i rode it, i met this girl who smoked her crack with me and ended up giving me a great handjob.

good times!

Guest StuckOnStupid
i took a greyhound from newark to toronto. never again. such a mind numbing experience. although it did reintroduce me to the wonders of Arby's

yo you know whats good? those market fresh sandwiches.

come to think of it, the only time i ever ate one wason the bus at an arby's rest stop in upstate ny.

i took the greyhound to nyc from boston, once. i thought it would be better than the chinatown bus, but not at all. they didn't even stop for a break midway! took the same amount of time and everything.

correction

BUT MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE :P

greyhound is the most depressing thing ever, chinatown buses better by far but still have their downsides but are always damn fast.

dc ->philly its all about century2000

dc->nyc its all about washington deluxe best bus expirence ever me and my girlfriend round trip totaled $70 and it was an awesome newer clean bus and not too many riders.

my only greyhound trip in the US was from washington DC to new york about ten years ago.

the greyhound bus terminal was definitely a scary place. it was out in the middle of nowhere in the city and it basically looked like a cross between a homeless shelter and a prison.

the actual trip was fine and with the bus driver doing a kind of stand up comedy routine. i was really happy to get to nyc!

• 11 months later...

thought I would bring this back. I rode the dog from albuquerque, nm to chicago, il. It was so great, i seriously slept most of the 24 hours but also saw a ton of beautiful country I had never seen before. I would do it again from chicago to NY.

i used to do Greyhound from DC-NYC during the days before the Chinatown buses and never had any great experiences. but i never had any horrible experiences either. it's a short enough ride that you can just keep to yourself. those handjobs do sound nice, though.

i've only taken the Chinese buses once and they were definitely extremely cheap and efficient and all, but i didn't feel like the driving was safe. it was raining and the guy was all the way on the left of the PA Turnpike tailing slower cars in front of him.

however, i would still take the Chinatown bus on that route. what other option is there, the fucking train-that-costs-as-much-as-the-plane?

as for you long-haulers . . . damn, check out some airfare deals, that's what Southwest Airlines was made for.