Dash Snow

beroldsky

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dash is certifiably insane in my book. whether or not he is a rich bitch wannabe boho is not a point worth arguing, because the truth is self-evident.

dan colen and ryan mcginley and others, though, i have more than a few shreds of respect for. their desire and ability to keep dash reined in from disappearing off of the face of the earth is admirable, and their backgrounds are a bit more genuine than dash's. their work is also more interesting to me, anyway.

People have been making art out of human excrement and taking snapshots of youthful debauchery for a long time. Its nothing new.

Dash Snow has no talent. He makes collages using jizz insead of glue. It's boring, really.

He is a member of one of the the wealthiest, most powerful families in the art world. Look up the de Menils. He is not just some rich, irreverent kid.

Even though in an interivew Dash has said that he hates photography and technology in general, I've always found his photos interesting.

Someone making a digital C-print doesn't hate technology. Now, I could see some merit in that statement if he stuck to the original polaroid as a medium; ie one-offs, but making copies in a digital format, and subsequently knocking 'photography' and 'technology' just reeks of self-concious anti-ness. Weak.

I could just imagine the insanity that had to occur in order to get to some of those moments ..

Dash Snow: Hey, here's $100/$200/$300, do something fucked up and act like you don't notice the camera.

Gutterslut: OK

look at all the trust fund rockers now. it's bullshit.

he's grimey grimey crimey crimey just cause he lives on the bowery and part of irak?

i bet he hasn't stolen a piece of gum before.

i'm not going to knock the "lifestyle" or whatever, but it's stupid to front.

Guest StuckOnStupid

as someone who appreciates the destructive/illegal/ruining of property side of grafitti more than big colorful legal walls by washed up sellouts, i really like the whole IRAK thing of getting up, and i dunno about since he turned amish, but sace's shit is still all over the LES.

and as far as his other art shit goes, i love the polaroids. not because im shocked and appalled by the content, but more for the fact of ive engaged in 90% of the activity depicted in them, i understand the beauty and humanity in self-destruction and how lucky you are to escape from it alive, and the fact that there are a few people every so often that document it in a cool way is wonderful. the fact that he is rich and priviledged gets a big fucking whoop from me. Being wealthy does not necessarily negate talent or authenticity or make you a cultural diletante. if i had some kind of finacial backing to fall on id live a much different lifestyle than the one im forced to live on now. why not jizz all over the paper? fuck it, dude prolly lives the life most of us wish we could. hes having fun. ultimately, thats what we all want, no?

also i really dig colen and mcginley's work too. colen is fucking phenomenal, actually.

Guest StuckOnStupid
Someone making a digital C-print doesn't hate technology. Now, I could see some merit in that statement if he stuck to the original polaroid as a medium; ie one-offs, but making copies in a digital format, and subsequently knocking 'photography' and 'technology' just reeks of self-concious anti-ness. Weak.

Dash Snow: Hey, here's $100/$200/$300, do something fucked up and act like you don't notice the camera.

Gutterslut: OK

i know THAT sounded way better in yr head.

as someone who appreciates the destructive/illegal/ruining of property side of grafitti more than big colorful legal walls by washed up sellouts, i really like the whole IRAK thing of getting up, and i dunno about since he turned amish, but sace's shit is still all over the LES.

and as far as his other art shit goes, i love the polaroids. not because im shocked and appalled by the content, but more for the fact of ive engaged in 90% of the activity depicted in them, i understand the beauty and humanity in self-destruction and how lucky you are to escape from it alive, and the fact that there are a few people every so often that document it in a cool way is wonderful. the fact that he is rich and priviledged gets a big fucking whoop from me. Being wealthy does not necessarily negate talent or authenticity or make you a cultural diletante. if i had some kind of finacial backing to fall on id live a much different lifestyle than the one im forced to live on now. why not jizz all over the paper? fuck it, dude prolly lives the life most of us wish we could. hes having fun. ultimately, thats what we all want, no?

being wealthy doesn't negate talent, authenticity, nor make you a cultural dilettante, but it also doesn't help the situation.

and, the fact is that yes, anyone who was wealthy and had those sorts of destructive predilections would go for it, but the fact that it is that safety cushion of piles and piles of cash that protects them from the real, truly human and beautiful horror of leading a destructive lifestyle that negates some of their integrity. not all, mind you, because living it is more than half the battle, but Dash knows in the back of his head that he has a safety net.

fuck, do i ever want a safety net.

entertainment =/= art.

whatever. you're wrong.

gah! im sorry i asked. shock value can be done really well and make you say "holy fuck!" or it can miss and make you go " oh look ................. how shocking.........."

i think what's interesting about his work is that it's totally bland.

the writeups on that site are very painful to read.

writeups in general are very painful to read