Summer Solutions

justinbaily21

Searched around and haven't really found a comprehensive post.

During the summer, especially for those of us living in really hot, humid environments, would it be better so give the denim some rest, or to wear them straight through? I feel like I could get much harder wear with significantly less sweat if I only wore my Samurais in the winter months, but are there any disadvantages to wearing during the summer? CMF seems to lose the ability to get high contrast fades because he is forced to wash his jeans more often then most due to Florida's weather. Would I need to wash my jeans more often and lose the possibility for a 6 month contrast fade?

Feel free to aswer that and bring up any other Summer concerns in here.

That response sort of threw me for a loop. I understand that it's wear which creates contrast, but I'm certainly of the opinion that washing has quite a bit to do with it. I understand that Ryu is able to get beautiful fades with monthly washing and that we have quite a few experts who recommend routine washing for the sake of the cotton, etc, but I just don't buy it.

I also get that the 'no wash for 6 months' thing is a bit of a by-product of APC and Nudie trends, but I would really like to put at least half a year before the first wash. Now, would it be better to just wear for the next six-eight months before the first wash, or wait until winter to put more wear into them while it's cold. I live in South Carolina so winter is the perfect time for biking and there is no snow.

I also understand that they smell like shit and that's why he has to wash them, but I think that I would have a similar problem during Summer.
stop thinking so much about it. They're just jeans and they should be washed when they're dirty.

If all you really care about is high contrast fades, then just buy a pair of predistressed jeans. :rolleyes:

i dont think you should worry about it. mabye if you know you are going biking/hiking/playing basketball or somethign where you know you will sweat alot in the summer dont wear jeans. save them for just walking around/going out/around the house.

but I really dont think it will be a problem I live in florida and pretty much only wear long pants.

Ott, I want to make sure to do it right out of respect for the Samurais. I would hate to do anything that would kill their potential. I don't want to accidently end up with rust or serious bacteria on the inside of them. It's much easier to give advice to someone else than to take it when you are dealing with your own stuff. Thanks everybody.

It's much easier to give advice to someone else than to take it when you are dealing with your own stuff.

that's definitely true, and i live in the equatorial tropics (where there's practically no winter to speak of), so i can attest to that problem. but i think my view on it has been, what's the point of buying a pair of jeans if i'm not going to wear it like a pair of jeans? what might help, and what i'm currently doing, is cycling between two pairs of jeans depending on whatever i'm wearing that day - one pair is skinnier whereas the other is more regular-cut - and hanging up and sunning the pair that isn't being worn. i love both pairs, and that compromise still allows me to have denim staining my hands almost all of my waking hours.

Wabi-sabi man, wabi-sabi. The whole point of raw denim was that it was woven to be a material with strength, something that could stand up to tons of wear and washes. I agree that Ott put it best, you should just wash your jeans when you think they need a washing, in cold water, inside out, hang dry in the shade, they way they won't lose too much indigo. It's a win-win situation, you preserve the color in your jeans and build up contrast fades over time, and the fabric won't weaken due to bacteria.

On another note, neverletdown, I actually have a pair of APC New Standards that I cut off, sz. 27, worn for about 4 months on and off but never washed. PM me if you're interested. Sorry it was just too much of a coincidence for me not to offer...