Latest Music (to wear clothes to)

i think there was a previous thread on the latest music we've been into. figured id ask what you guys were listening to.

lately:

the new art brut full length (bang bang rock and roll)...not as raw as the singles but great nonetheless.

akron/family cd - sort of wearing off but i liked this when i first heard it a few weeks back...experimental psych pop a la olivia tremor control.

the national - alligator

dead meadow - feathers

the new optimo mix cd

and the penatrators anthology on swami.

normally i like to keep my posts pretty limited to clothes here. but i couldn't resist:

Jneiro Jarel: Slum meets Madlib but not derivative enough to piss you off. This kid is going to be big. Import only right now. Album is solid, front to back. Nice mix of live instruments, samples, beats, rhymes, forward and backward thinking.

LCD Soundsystem: Every few years you hear an album that's so well produced it blows you away. (this is one of those to me)

Edan: Only heard the end of one song. Great. One of the biggest raw hip hop talents I've seen in years. Seen video of this kid rip the mic and go back & forth with a 2 bar break effortlessly. (I know J-Live did this, but he made J look like a lame duck (and I love J-Live too!))

23 Skidoo: Amazing to me that this band is still not too widely known about. Falls in the Liquid Liquid/ESG NY no wave category i guess. Most recently got "Urban Gamelan" LP and "Coup" twelve inch single. Their stuff has been sporadically reissued over the years.

Anything on SoulJazz Records: Pretty much everything on this label is excellent. From Reggae to Funk to Rock reissues are all very well done. If you have been thinking about getting one of their releases, just get it.

Anything on GAMM Records: 12$ a 12" is steep, but this label has consistently been putting out slammin remix/edit 12"s for the past year or two. I particularly like the "Crazy in Kingston" Beyonce edit and "Follow Me" D'Angelo edit. Kills the dancefloor every time, no matter what time it is, what record came before it, and what club you are at.

Theo Parrish "Ugly Edits": Great white label. This guy is amazing. Makes house for people think 99% of house is boring. This 12" is almost like edits, he's heavily relying on samples to carry the tracks, but it really works.

Okay... I should stop.

There's been some amazing grime and dubstep out in the last 12 months. Mainly been feeling dubstep / breakstep stuff by Vex'd, Macabre Unit, Digital Mystikz, Loefah, Kode 9, Plasticman, Search & Destroy, Slaughter Mob, Toastyboy (love that throwback ravey / Metalheadz sound). A lot of the grime stuff is harder to find and ID producer wise, but MCs I want to hear more from this year are Jammer, Crazy Titch and Deadly Crisis. More Riko would be good too.

Also been feeling some new jump up (loving Bizzy B's science EPs) and breakcore, pretty much everything Maurice Fulton has had a hand in (esp. Mu) and last but not least, this:

http://www.greenskeepersmusic.com/lotionhigh.mov

soultec: aren't the vocals on the new LCD Soundsystem annoying? I love the remixed versions (I have most of them on vinyl) but the album versions are kina weak with the stuffed up nose vocal.

I'm Listening to:

ENON

The Russian Futurists

Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Chow Nasty

Basement Jaxx

Kraftwerk

Aphex Twin

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Are you talking the actual new material (disc 1) or the orginal versions of the older 12" stuff (disc 2).

The vocals didn't bug me at all really. I definitely liked the older stuff on 12" better than the new stuff. But, I think it's all great. Especially "Never as Tired as When I'm Waking Up"

Word on Aphex Twin. I got to see him at All Tomorrow's Parties a while back. He had midgets dancing on the stage during his 2 hr. Laptop DJ set (which was supposedly all unreleased Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and Rephlex people)

Afterwards I was pissed because I knew the soundman, and I should have had him record it for me...

-Amit

-Basic Channel

-City on a Hill 'The Gathering'

-Cocteau Twins 'Heaven or Las Vegas'

-Directions in Music LP

-My Bloody Valentine 'Loveless'

-Rhythm & Sound 'See Mi Yah' LP (they rule, i should prob change my name)

-Rhythm & Sound 'w/ the Artists' LP

-Silent Witness & Break 'Rain Man' & 'Gene Pool' EP's

-Spirit 'Puzzle Box' LP

...and hordes more...

Quote: posted by: rhythmandsound

-Rhythm & Sound 'See Mi Yah' LP

How is this? I loved the earlier output but sort of forgot to keep an eye on what they were doing after Queen In My Empire. D'you get the CD or the box set?

Amit is the shit too. Got the Sound Warrior/Motherland 12 at the weekend. Plays just as well at 33 (dubstep!) as it does at 45 (drum+bass!).

That Junior Boys record is great!

Am I the only one that thought the M.I.A. album was overhyped?? It's good, or rather, she's great. But I felt the album was more a collection of singles than a cohesive album. Been playing the Galang single quite a bit tho. Also the album was mixed very loud, which is good for 12"s but hard to listen to for a full length.. Maybe I'll listen to it again and see if I was just in a bad mood that day. icon_smile.gif

ART BRUT are the bollocks, theyve been around maybe year and half? in the london scene as it were, i thought maybe gimicky... at first with his slow talking "singing" voice, eddie Is A very good front man.

as for bloc party, thery geting rather large over here and i dont know whYY well i do, cause all these lil kids read teh NME and worship it more than the HOly Bible. Bloc Party have about 3-4 good songs other than that.. orDINANRY

check out my mates bands THE OTHERS, The Paddingtons, Thee Unstrung, Les Incompetants, THe corals new album is beaut.. we have, TEST-ICICLES there pritty slick, Vincent Vincent and the Villains., mental Black wire . . .al lalala

Quote:
Quote: posted by: rhythmandsound

-Rhythm & Sound 'See Mi Yah' LP

How is this? I loved the earlier output but sort of forgot to keep an eye on what they were doing after Queen In My Empire. D'you get the CD or the box set?

Amit is the shit too. Got the Sound Warrior/Motherland 12 at the weekend. Plays just as well at 33 (dubstep!) as it does at 45 (drum+bass!).

--- Original message by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on May 3, 2005 09:51 PM

rhythm & sound are as amazing as ever. 'see mi yah' uses the same basic rhythm on each track but the singers all lend really solid, unique performances. i got the 7" set, although i'd like to check the cd as they've strung everything together into one continuous track. Amit is SO good. Have you checked 'Second Cut / Immigrants' on Bingo? everything he does is fantastic.

Quote: but Losing My Edge has to be one of the most relevant songs of right now. That shit is hilarious. superfuture version: I was there at the patent office when the rivet patent was given, I was there when the shuttle looms left Valencia street.....I heard you sold your vintage big e's to buy a pair of 45 rpm's...I heard you sold your 45 rpms to buy a pair of vintage big e's...

Oh, I know. I'm talking about all the stuff he put out on 12". This is: "Give It Up," "Tired," "Losing My Edge," "Beat Connection," "Yeah (Both Versions)," and "Yr City's A Sucker."

That's not really album material... I think he just wanted to make those songs all available on CD so he threw them out as a bonus disc.

I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good song ever done by anyone. Love it!

Quote: Am I the only one that thought the M.I.A. album was overhyped?

Nope, I didn't think it was all that great either. A few good tracks, but there's no way it deserved the hype it got. I've gotten into way too many arguments over this record with people who love it though, so I've decided to agree to disagree with what seems to be 99% of everyone :)

Quote: Have you checked 'Second Cut / Immigrants' on Bingo?

Don't think so. Will def. be keeping an eye out for more though.