football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Premier league fixtures are out. I can't really complain but I'm sure I will when I have to get up at 6:30am on Saturday in February to watch.

I wanna see AVL vs MANC.....

exciting.

I feel for the czech team, I like the coach + team in general. But not to take anything away from the turks, a brilliant game, and the last goal was icing on the cake.

This is fairly old, but I just want to say that FIFAs rule that allowed van nistelrooys goal is completely ridiculous

Just seen our Ronaldo acting a cunt again, would'nt answer THAT question to Sky Sports News. If him & his people had any sense, they woulda announced his desicion BEFORE Euro 2008 to avoid or at least dampen the speculation. Even though I wish it was'nt happening, I can't see him waiting a month just to announce he staying...either commit to 2yrs minimum or make like a tree.

I swear, watching that game made me so angry. How the fuck do these shit teams get away with masquerading as giants of world football?

Italy scored from two set pieces, and apart from that you would never have thought they would ever score, Toni makes gomez look like eusebio, I think if France came off for 10 minutes for croissants he still couldn't score by the time they came back!

I feel a bit sorry for France as a lot of things just didn't happen for them, but you could also argue that they really didn't look bothered either. The ref was total nonse at times too, dishing out cards like they're going out of style...

I swear, watching that game made me so angry. How the fuck do these shit teams get away with masquerading as giants of world football?

Italy scored from two set pieces, and apart from that you would never have thought they would ever score, Toni makes gomez look like eusabio, I think if France came off for 10 minutes for croissants he still couldn't score by the time they came back!

I feel a bit sorry for France as a lot of things just didn't happen for them, but you could also argue that they really didn't look bothered either. The ref was total nonse at times too, dishing out cards like they're going out of style...

IT'S SPELLED EUSEBIO, FUCKING EUSEBIO, NOT EUSABIO GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Can't argue with Abidal's sending off ... what else could the ref do?

If you watch any football other than this tournament surely you've seen Toni is a very good player ... he hasn't brought any of that form with him to the tournament as of yet; but bit harsh. As for you're comment about Italy overall, they have three key misses from the World Cup winning team of 2 years ago ... Totti, Nesta and Cannavaro. Other than that it's the main core of players who were world champions. I can see them grinding out more wins; Buffon is so important to them (and as lots of people seem to forget is part of the team ... the "oh team x were lucky, their goalkeeper made so many saves is really a pathetic argument")

Can anyone else see Henry losing interest in football altogether; for such a talented guy he seems to be out of his depth or maybe he really is that big of a choker; see World Cup 2002, and lots of big games for Arsenal ... Domesch doesn't have a clue but its not like of the team they started with will lose that many to retirement ... Makelele, Thuram, Coupet(?), Henry(???), Sagnol(?) ... why Flamini isn't in there ahead of Makelele I don't have a clue. Without Ribery they weren't going anywhere; on the plus side Toulalan and to a lesser extent in this game, Benzema look like top players.

actually, it's spelled Egipto, it's my surname.

insert random "FAIL" pic here

and you still spelled it wrong.

As for the game, yeah I know Toni is a good player, so is Gomez but it doesn't count for much when you miss absolute sitters like they have or just sheer number of chances in Toni's case. Buffon's save from Benzema was pretty sweet, he's undeniably their key player - had he not saved that penalty today's game would have been worthless.

Towards the end of his Arsenal career it looked like Henry was losing interest as you say. Some might say he's peaked, burnt out - it also happened around the time of his divorce, that may have affected him greatly. But I agree he never seems to perform on the international level quite like his gooner days, it could possibly be the wenger effect. That said France don't really have anyone to create openings and movement to great effect apart from Ribery. It'll be interesting to see the rebuilding of the new France, possibly with Deschamps at the helm. It's a bit astonishing to see so many old players in their first team.

When i said the ref was an idiot I wasn't referring to the sending off btw, it was other smaller decisions and his manner, his booking of Henry for example.

Italy scored from two set pieces, and apart from that you would never have thought they would ever score, Toni makes gomez look like eusebio, I think if France came off for 10 minutes for croissants he still couldn't score by the time they came back!

I thought it's common knowledge that Italy's formation is 11-0-0... their only strategy is to defend and wait for the penalty shootout... so who do you guys think will win?