football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Ok does US have a creative player?

Duce? Beasley? Young kid from Benfica?

I don't think so,

landon donovan fulfills this role for the us and the difference is pretty obvious when he doesn't play (or when he plays and doesn't turn up). adu did a reasonable job yesterday although i question his ability to survive a more physical side. as far as i know, benito mussolini does not play for the us. btw, i would like to point out i went 5 out of 6 on calling the starting xi for yesterday's match.

anyway - the major flaw in the us is in central defense, which is woeful. we also haven't found that proven goal scorer to replace mcbride, i was hopeful about johnson but now all eyes are on altidore.

fatchino - torres is carrying an injury to his knee so won't be 100%. i wasn't too impressed with them yesterday, far too casual. also, fabregas is a turd bag.

My knowledge of US football/soccer is pretty limited but basically the players mentioned above haven made it with a top club as of yet. Beasley had a good run with PSV, then stumbled on to Man Citeh and Rangers. No top player goes to Scotland ...

Adu's still really young ... who knows what he'll do at Benfica. I think he'll be up back in the MLS.

I think it's fair to say that if there ever is a real American Soccer Superstar the rest of us will be made to never forget his name. Much like any English supposed-great.

Then again you're only ever really as good as your last match. Greatest (at least of our age) is seemingly a matter for debate.

I am saying that both US and England are missing that creativity. Now England still has some other elements that the US doesn't. I wasn't saying we have ANY creativity. I would have to check myself into a psyc ward if I said that. As for Duce, LandyCakes and Beas.... You all are smoking something serious if you think that they have made it to any decent level. NONE of them can hack it at any decent level in Europe. Beasly is from my hometown and is kinda a hometown hero, but JEEEESUS HOW IS HE ON OUR NATIONAL TEAM. He is terrible. He is fast. Thats it. His touch makes me ill. I coach ten year olds with better foot skills than him.

Landy Cakes.... I have hated the guy for some time, and although his foot skills are far greater than Beas, you have to look at why he isn't over seas if he is so great. The guy wont go in for a tackle. He backs off. He needs to toughen up, bump some shoulders and go at people if we want the US to start getting some results....

As for Duce...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FSzk8wS0M

...Enough said...

Our young players ("no names") are the ones with talent.

guys, calm down. i didn't say that the us were full of world beaters, but each team needs a creative playmaker and for better or for worse ours is donovan. like i said, just compare the matches he's in vs the ones he's not in. he can a) create space, B) put a ball in and c) score. don't know what more you're looking for given the circumstances.

i think this argument about donovan being pants because he won't go overseas is ridiculous. until recently, you could say the same thing about every single mexican player but they never got any stick about it. yes, he's a moron and would he benefit from growing a pair? absolutely.

fatchino - what's roy keane, chopped liver? or henrik larsson for that matter.

Landy Cakes.... I have hated the guy for some time, and although his foot skills are far greater than Beas, you have to look at why he isn't over seas if he is so great. The guy wont go in for a tackle. He backs off. He needs to toughen up, bump some shoulders and go at people if we want the US to start getting some results....

As for Duce...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_FSzk8wS0M

...Enough said...

Our young players ("no names") are the ones with talent.

guys, calm down. i didn't say that the us were full of world beaters, but each team needs a creative playmaker and for better or for worse ours is donovan. like i said, just compare the matches he's in vs the ones he's not in. he can a) create space, B) put a ball in and c) score. don't know what more you're looking for given the circumstances.

i think this argument about donovan being pants because he won't go overseas is ridiculous. until recently, you could say the same thing about every single mexican player but they never got any stick about it. yes, he's a moron and would he benefit from growing a pair? absolutely.

fatchino - what's roy keane, chopped liver? or henrik larsson for that matter.

Well put, he is our playmaker. I hate it...but he is. and he does make a difference. Guess I lost my head. It just sucks that its him. I love that our young players are looking to go abroad to play club tough. Its going to create the kind of players that could really help USMNT.

Fatchino, I am with ready on this one. Keano is one of the best players to see the pitch in my lifetime. He was the true captain fantastic. He was a hard nose leader with amazing foot skills. You don't find too many players that can play has hard as he did and still have the ability to dice some players up and put it in the back of the net. Maybe no great players go to Scotland unless its to play at Park Head.

Fatchino, I am with ready on this one. Keano is one of the best players to see the pitch in my lifetime. He was the true captain fantastic. He was a hard nose leader with amazing foot skills. You don't find too many players that can play has hard as he did and still have the ability to dice some players up and put it in the back of the net. Maybe no great players go to Scotland unless its to play at Park Head.

Roy Keane was one of Man utd finest lad's and a shame how Ferguson treated him in the end. I hope he had a great time by Celtic.

This EC i am really looking forward to see that Gomis kid of France, and of course i hope that The Netherlands bring that cup home after 20 years!

Come fellas Keane was on his last legs when he went to Celtic. He had said years previously, like a good Catholic Irish lad that Celtic was one of the few clubs away from United he'd like to finish his career at and he did it. Fair play to him.

Larsson was a great player ... I admit I over looked that. It would have been nice to see him prove himself to a higher level ... at his peak. What age did he join Barca at and how many full games could the guy compete in? I know nothing of his time at Feyenord but I think his goal scoring feats there were pretty tame compared with what followed ... says alot([?] - even Dirk Kuyt had an outstanding record in that part of the world)

Haha just worked at who "Duce" is ... Dempsey; can't resist should that be douche? Guess he did ok ... at the start of the season anyway but the guy plays for Fulham who almost any other season would have been relegated.

BTW any read Jens Lehmann's comments about English football recently? The guy has insight; would like to see him as a pundit. Please tell this is Motson's last major tournament, he's a train wreck.

Bosingwa looked a good sign for Chelsea. Nuno Gomes was a bit unlucky in that game too. Raul Merelis cost me a free night out too ... Pepe for last goalscorer was looking so good at 89 minutes with Portugal up 1-0 and keeping it tight.

Oh well.

Group of us just has a few quid on for the last scorer to keep it interesting. Everyone picks two players, if either of your players scores last you take everyone elses cash ... pretty simple.

Germans looking good even if the BBC won't quite go so far as to give them a full bil of health.