The Official DENIM Thread.......... Calling Upon Ring Ring, Serge D Nimes et al.

Aotearoa

hi guys,

reading this thread has got me thinking twice now about continuously wearing my nudies without washing. sorry about asking more "denim washing questions" but i guess better now than later.

Ive had my dry nudie bootcut olas for about 2 months now, havent been wearing everyday of late, but do wear as often as possible...would it be wise to wash them now and get the shrinkage out of the way? they are a little long for me....if they shrink a nice inch on the inseam i think they will be perfect length....but yeh, should i wash them now to prevent the fading from shifting up later? if so what would be the best way to go about it (ie least amount of initial fade). I still want to try and keep the indigo - and let them fade with time.

they are a 31x32, does anyone have any insight into how much the inseam shrinks? i guess its abit of a silly question as all jeans will vary....but anyway, any help is much appreciated.

Try it, you'll like it!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon less than 3% shrinkage if your denim is the same as on the Dry Reg Ralphs. So don't worry about the marks shifting too much. Wash whenever you feel like it.

If you want to wash them with minimum fading, just a cold soak, inside out, in bath of water will do. Spin the water out of them in a washing machine and hang dry.

Liberty do Sugarcanes and 5EP (USA brand but Japanese made), America Retro do Buzz Ricksons, Duffer do or did Full Count, Aero sell Japanese Lee repros and Denime sometimes, Uniqlo sell er, Uniqlos.

Outside of Japan you can get The Flat Head, Pherrows, Real McCoys, Joe McCoys, Stormy Blue, Studio D'Artisan, Dry Bones, Denime, Warehouse etc in HK.

thanks ringring....

don't think the denim is the same, the dry rr's use heavyweight selvage, aside from the greycast version (i think). the bootcut olas are a lighterweight italian denim. do u know if lighterweight has the potential to shrink more?

Try it, you'll like it!

Thanks very much for the replies everybody!

2 more question (For the time being anyway.. !)

Anybody know approximately how much a pair of Nudies cost in the UK? I'm sure there also has to be some sort of price difference between pairs selling in the US and the UK....?! If I have the chance to try on a pair here I can get one of my American friends to send me over the same pair for a cheaper price you see. icon_smile.gif

Would also like to know approximate prices of :

Edwins & APCs (Within the UK)

Thanks again!

Edwins (nashvilles and greenvilles) are 70 and 80 respectively at Interstate London as far as i remember, though there is a guy with loads of nashvilles on ebay for 45 who provided me with my pair!! Other pairs pop up every now and then, includinf yoshi red tokyo selvedge jean, not that i know anything about it really beyond the name! I wouls recommend Nashvilles though.

Not sure about APC retail, though would be interested also.

I'm sure i've seen it mentioned somewhere on here before, but i can't find the thread it was in....but, my Edwins fit perfectly right now and I've had them a little while and given them lots of wear - its time for a wash I feel. I DON'T want them to shrink though, will they be ok on a cold wash? will they still fade nicely in a cold wash?

Quote:

Thanks very much for the replies everybody!

2 more question (For the time being anyway.. !)

Anybody know approximately how much a pair of Nudies cost in the UK? I'm sure there also has to be some sort of price difference between pairs selling in the US and the UK....?! If I have the chance to try on a pair here I can get one of my American friends to send me over the same pair for a cheaper price you see. icon_smile.gif

Would also like to know approximate prices of :

Edwins & APCs (Within the UK)

Thanks again!

--- Original message by Aotearoa on May 3, 2005 09:23 AM

Bought my Regular Ralf dry selvage for 110 pounds. My denim pimp has one sized 32/34 if you're interested in one. They're quite hard to find these days.

Quote:

I saw APC in selfridges in London for about 70 pounds i think. that was the English cut. They had another slimmer cut that was nearer 90.

Edited by mrmax on May 3, 2005 at 02:02 PM

--- Original message by mrmax on May 3, 2005 02:02 PM

89 pounds for the Anglais and 65 for the New Standards (they're on sale). But that was two weeks ago.

Nashvilles are a nice fit, i would describe as pretty regular, traditional 5pkt, so q a large rise and hence baggy arse, straight leg. Nice leather patch, selvedge coin pkt etc. Bout perfect for me, and the selvedge strip is pretty wide, unlike say LVC, which i think aethestically looks good.

Quote:

oh damn, sorry for the bad info there. Are New Standards a looser fit? The shop assistant told me they were, so I assumed they were the Anglais Cut.

--- Original message by mrmax on May 3, 2005 02:05 PM

New Standards are regular cut, the Anglais is very baggy and loose, which weren't to my taste.

Hey kid0!

Be careful washing the jeans, assuming they're true 'Rigid' denim (never rinsed). Depending on the fabric, they could shrink a little or they could shrink a lot! I had a pair of Levi 201's (replica) that I labored over for 5 months...they were a little big, and BAM!! They're 2 sizes 2 small now!!

Since then, I DRY CLEAN my jeans. I take them to a local cleaner that understands that I do NOT want them laundered & I don't want them center-creased. It's critical that you make them understand that you want them dry cleaned!!

For weekly maintenance, I like Fabreeze!!

It's heavenly to be hip.....a sin to stink!!

anyone know where to find some detailed technical info about of selvage (i know your all over this f**kn word) . Especially how colors are created on the edges of the denim seam. Is it simply done but adding coloured cotton to the end of the run

also in terms of manufacturing, does anyone know (really know) what mill actually produce Evisu denim - I lookd on a previous thread that they had now been broken down into 3 mills.

any pics?

also is this: [url=" http://www.nudiejeans.com/thisisnudie/movies/denim.php"] <a href="http://www.nudiejeans.com/thisisnudie/movies/denim.php" target="_blank">http://www.nudiejeans.com/thisisnudie/movies/denim.php</a> a dedicated nudie mill? or do they manufacture any other labels. anyone got any info on this mill, i know it is Italy - looks like they have some fairly swank looms

thanks

im in the process of researching the most premium manufactures of denim and documenting, denim types, lead times. min quantiy etc.

if anyone has any good info that would be great.

anyone know any information on this mill

[url=" http://www.nudiejeans.com/thisisnudie/movies/denim.php"] <a href="http://www.nudiejeans.com/thisisnudie/movies/denim.php" target="_blank">http://www.nudiejeans.com/thisisnudie/movies/denim.php</a>

is the mill exclusive to nudie?

b&b

icon_smile_question.gif

Quote:

why do nearly all jeans have a leather sizing patch on the waistline?

is this just tradition?

any thoughts

(and ringring how the f**k do u know so much about denim, that's a complement btw)

--- Original message by blueandblack on May 3, 2005 11:46 PM

Thanks for the complement. I don't know much. There's an ocean to swim across and I've just got my toes wet. There's a lot of knowledgable people on here. Some don't post much. icon_smile_wink.gif

These days, most jeans don't have a leather patch. If they have patches, it's more likely to be paper, cloth or a synthetic (eg PU coated cloth, polyester woven label etc).

Like you suggested, it's just a throwback to old LEvis (before Levis changed to paper patches). Posh Japanese LEvis repros often go for lamb or deer leather.

is the mill exclusive to nudie?

No.

thanks - v.helpful ringring (ur 2 modest)

after some info on Kaihara but cant seem to find much out there - do Kaihara actually manufacture jeans or do they just create the denim and export it - or both.

another question

when people are talking about minimum runs are they talking say 1000 jeans to a specific size i:e 32w-33l?

So if you were to produce sizes 30-32-34-36 waist in both 32-33-34 leg you would be talking about a 12,000 jean (minimum) run