help with denim jackets

eldave04

I m gonna buy a denim jacket, but i m not really sure which to choose. I want to spend a max of $200 and would like selvedge, thought it does nt have to be. At the moment I m considering a type 1 repro, the 506XX from 96. I may even go 507, depending on what I can find and the price. Anyone have any other suggestions, and also where I might be able to find these other than ebay. I dont care who makes it, I just want a rigid, type 1/2 jacket.

Thanks for your help

• 3 weeks later...

the type 1 506xx is a great jacket. i am wearing mine today matter of fact.

but they are very hard to find, even on ebay. and you'll probably pay around $250-$300 if you find a deadstock repro. I just recently saw a good condition original vintage 506xx and it was at about $700 with quite a bit of time left on the auction.

other than the Vintage Levis, there arent too many denim jackets i am partial to. Altho i do like the looks of the dry Nudie jacket.

That jacket looks legit. I think it is a late 90's repro. Are the back of the buttons 555 or 824? I have had 2 different 507XX repros, a 213 (early buckleback) repro, and an evisu 506XX repro and they were all way too short so off they went. I recommend not washing the jacket if you want it to have an OK length. I have a 1879 "First Blouse" jacket that I shrank in cold water to make sure I didn't lose too much of the length.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

just a point to consider when you're looking at the 506xx type jackets, when you're driving, the rear buckle may stick up your back in an uncomfortable spot. i have a 506xx repro evisu jacket, and the rear buckle drives me bonkers when i'm driving. so i now take off that jacket while i drive and put it back on outside of the car.

btw, anyone have a better solution to the rear buckle pain-in-the-back problem?

Quote:

And those evisu ones have spikes which can puncture your seat if you are not careful! I had that problem!

--- Original message by Serge d Nimes on May 6, 2005 02:24 PM

i bent and tucked the needles under the buckle so they point inward, then thread the flap in the reverse order. i rather have the needles puncture my back than my seats (i'm a car nut too icon_smile_big.gif). the denim is just thick enough to prevent the needles' punctures. the only complaint left is the discomfort from the buckle itself. small price to pay, i suppose.