best jeanist award?

uL7iMa

hi, first post here, been lurking for awhile...

anyway i came across this and was wondering what the hell it was lol

http://www.best-jeans.com/jeanist/index.shtml

too bad i can't read much jap.. anyone can help to translate?

FYI:

Noun

S: (n) Jap, Nip ((offensive slang) a person of Japanese descent)

Noun

S: (n) Japanese (the language (usually considered to be Altaic) spoken by the Japanese)

^havent we gone through the whole use of the word "jap"

he clearly didnt mean it in an offensive manner

but to avoid bothering people just type in the extra -anese buddy

But just because his intention wasn't meant to be offensive, the word itself is, and it doesn't make it okay. So yeah, take the extra second to type …anese.

jap = offensive? o_O

I don't mean to come off as tightass, but Jap has been offensive to Japanese people since WWII, as much as Chink is for a Chinese person, or Gook for a Korean person. Having a word used in the context of hurting someone, IMO, is just something people shouldn't do, no matter what the intention is. It still stings to hear people say that word, because of the pain and history associated with it.

I feel that it is important to express this point of view, because a lot of Japanese people still feel this way. And I think it's pretty disresptectful to flaunt that word, especially when someone takes the time to explain why the word is offensive.

But hey, that's just my 2 cents, I can't change how people think.

best "jeanist" awards <> the best denim of the year

it's just a celebrity popularity contest tied with some corporate sponsorships e.g. edwin

I agree, and its probably worth it to keep bringing it up. Seems a lot of people don't know that it is a, potentially, offensive term.

I don't mean to come off as tightass, but Jap has been offensive to Japanese people since WWII, as much as Chink is for a Chinese person, or Gook for a Korean person. Having a word used in the context of hurting someone, IMO, is just something people shouldn't do, no matter what the intention is. It still stings to hear people say that word, because of the pain and history associated with it.

I feel that it is important to express this point of view, because a lot of Japanese people still feel this way. And I think it's pretty disresptectful to flaunt that word, especially when someone takes the time to explain why the word is offensive.

ooo i never heard anyone use the word "jap" to offend someone

(prolly because there arn't many japanese ppl in soCAL)

"chink" and "gook" is easily understood as an offensive word since it has nothing to do with the word itself

im vietnamese and use the word "viet" all the time so i didn't think that the word "jap" would be offensive <_<

and while we're at it.

no more use of the word blacks, african americans please.

chinese not chinks

vietnamese not viets

fuck. relax folks.

anyway, maybe its award for ppl who look good in thier jeans.

what about black people who arent from america????/:confused:

(prolly because there arn't many japanese ppl in soCAL)

im vietnamese and use the word "viet" all the time so i didn't think that the word "jap" would be offensive <_<

you are either retarded or blind