carhartt selvedge

fulcanelli

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've not arrived at our warehouse though they should be here by the end of the month. Carhartt Europe does not have their own click to buy site but you should be able to get them through www.flatspot.com or www.wellgosh.com when they arrive.

If you PM me your email address I'll send out a group email to everyone who's interested when the stock arrives.

Hello Gem

Say Hi to Ben for me, but you may have the wrong idea, I did not like Edwin but not because of being fired, it was a long time ago and he was doing what he thought was right. we did not see eye to eye on many things,I moved on…..it was for the lack of understanding for the Carhartt product, that I felt at the time was hurting the brand, it was wrong of me even mentionng his name.

Carhartt is an amazing brand, the heritage and scope of the US product is out standing a solid utilitarian product, function and design.

To me, and it’s only my view , this is a poor attempt to jump on the selvage bandwagon, blowing off the great history of the range, Carhartt should be up there with people like Cone mills, Big Ben, Blue Bell, great work wear companies embracing there history not 'fading' out there name to any old money maker

It’s said on here and many others site, just because its selvage denim it doesn’t mean it's good denim, but that said, I have not felt this denim so it would be wrong of me to say that it was poor denim.

Ben, remember the cycle tops!!!!

Good luck to you

Neil (not Angry)

I'd imagine the denim is probably exactly the same as that used by Edwin for the Nashvilles/Greenville.

(Just by my unproffessional eyes looking at the photos, and comparing them to my own nashvilles).

This is one of the reasons I was* excited about these jeans, cos I think the denim is quite lovely on the Nashville series. (*was, due to lack of 36L ! :) )

Yeah, I guess you could say Carhartt Europe is jumping on the bandwagon, but I think that would be a bit unfair, as Id imagine in their 100+ year history, they have no doubt made a selvedge model anyway?

I am always surprised C. Europe have never made more 'issue' of the brand's heritage by looking back through their archives in the same way all the other long-standing brands have (at least in Europe anyway).

I actually see Carhartt Euro as a pure fashion focus brand that just happens to make jeans - I reckon a lot of people would be surprised (at least according to my own reading) that Carharrt is 100 years, still American owned, family owned business and actually still made in the US (the american stuff anyway), so it would be cool if carhartt europe made some sort of 'LVC' project IMO.

but back to those jeans, the excitements probably because they are a kinda of a 'euro' style with different branding, and lets be honest, most of what we discuss here is basically Levis / japanese levis copies down to even the logos, again and again, so its nice to see an 'established' brands take on the selvedge movement - (at least IMO).

Hello SneakerAddict,

I guess you right , I tend to look at things from a pure denim view point (it's my job!!) and Carhartt to me will always be that family run US workwear company, not to sure it they ever did a selvedge though, mainly a duck cotton product run not so much denim but Euro-Carhartt is now a fashion brand first......

And edwin do do a good basic denim maybe mixing this with the history of Carhartt would give a different product line

again good luck to them

Neil

still feel its a bit of bandwagon jumping though:-)

its good to have open discussion about brands direction on SuperDenim anyway and I enjoy it because it makes a difference to always talking about "fit and fade".

but yes, I definitely would be interested to know more about carhartt's jeanswear history, (even if they only made a few models) as information seems few and far between.

As for 'selvedge bandwagon' - I agree there does seem to be one, but it would be foolish business sense for Carhartt - who I would imagine's core consumer is the 'street/urban/skate' customer NOT to do a selvedge model at the moment!

As you say I reckon the problem this very real selvedge bandwagon is when the likes of Topman, Tescos and Matalan start rabbiting on about 'japanese selvedge' in their P.O.S. material, when you know there's no way the materials and production have travelled past Romania!!

Gem, I want a free pair of jeans for all this Carhartt support/ defence Im giving ;)

You're certainly adding weight to the 36'' leg petition....

Carhartts history is a microcosm of the American workwear manufacturing industry -as I understand it- they're so unaffected by their history that a clothing archive of any size is only just being established now. Back in the early 1900's they had a mill in Liverpool of all places, how good would it be to celebrate this in a piece of clothing?

Getting the balance right between having a range that has a broad commercial appeal whilst not appearing to 'sell out' is an extremely difficult balancing act that companies generally deal with by tiering their ranges. This is something we've resisted for a number of reasons but I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on the matter.

A good short history of Carhartt can be found here, not much on the product but alot of business information: http://www.answers.com/topic/carhartt-inc

• 1 month later...

Someone asked about NYC - we won't be getting the selvedge apparently, but the best Carhartt selection I've seen around NYC is at Dave's Army & Navy, and Iceberg Army & Navy. I have some black Carhartt canvas duck painter's pants, double thickness they feel like 25oz., that still stand up in a corner after 3 years they're so stiff! Subsequently discontinued....

GregNYV

are those duck pant´s double knee? Got any experience with any other carhartt pants? Sounds great with some super-heavy, stand up alone duck canvas...

Im looking to get some in brown duck, right now the B11 (12oz washed duck) or B01 (double knee with rivets) are what im looking at. Any recommendations regarding fit?

GregNYV

are those duck pant´s double knee? Got any experience with any other carhartt pants? Sounds great with some super-heavy, stand up alone duck canvas...

Im looking to get some in brown duck, right now the B11 (12oz washed duck) or B01 (double knee with rivets) are what im looking at. Any recommendations regarding fit?

Yes, they're double-knee. And jet black, both warp and weft. No fades or washes of any kind. And I've only had them dry-cleaned.

I've also had their relaxed fit black jean B177, 14oz. But it comes a bit faded. I really like the comfortable fit. My denim fit style is old-skool '50s crossed with urban baggy. The leg opening on the B177s is smaller than on the Levi's repros, which is good for stacking - the cuff won't fall over the heel onto the ground.

The closest thing I can find to those double-knee painters pants are their "B01" the 12oz double-front work dungarees. Here's the link, and they are available in black too:

http://tinyurl.com/oaffw

The thing is, I'm not sure those are the same super-stiff ones I bought a few years back. Carhartt's site lists both the B01 and the B136 which is the washed version. I'd go for the B01. They told me about the super stiff ones being discontinued at Iceberg Army/Navy. Maybe *they* just stopped stocking them. Good luck!

bump...anyone pick these up. are they out yet?

Yep they're out across Europe. PM me if you want stockist details in the U.K. Fit-wise the pictures below are of the non-selvedge, black Round-Up pant which is the same cut as the selvedge Allen Pant...

Rounduppantfit005.jpg

Rounduppantfit002.jpg

Please excuse the shitty photos...

the carhartt streetwear is mostly pretty shitty imo. The workwear is both better looing and seems better quality.

Tenderloin Carhartt streetwear is not but the range serves a purpose, not everyone can wear the workwear, for me the jackets are just too square and too short...

thanks!

the b01 seems to be really heavyweight and durable, but im uncertain if I could pull off the double knee as a casual pant... On the other hand, I like the rivets. Do you wear em casually or for work?

I've worn mostly casually in a kind of downtown urban motif. But I've also worn them to work on casual Fridays to my law firm. People like them, they comment on all the rivets. The strangest thing about them is the stiffness. They are the blackest jeans I've ever had. I was wearing them a lot - them and other kinds of black jeans before I became a denimhead and went indigo!!

• 4 weeks later...
Tenderloin Carhartt streetwear is not but the range serves a purpose, not everyone can wear the workwear, for me the jackets are just too square and too short...

I have to agree - I get a discount on Carhartt stuff through my work since we retail it.

I bought a shirt, had to size down to an M, and the sleeves come half way down my arm. Definitally and awkward fit in the work wear

Yup, Edwin made. The company that owns the Carhartt Japan license are the same people behind Edwin in Japan...

The front leg panel is a lot narrower than the rear one but they're all good for £75... Don't forget to size down two waist sizes, I take a 31 in Imperials and a 29 in these...