Planned Camera buys for 07

airfrogusmc

Yeah I hardly use my D20 either.

I've used White Lightning's for years. Ultra 1200s....

If you do portraits allot of portraits I highly recommend investing in an 85 1.2L.

Yeah I tested that and the 70-200mm 2.8L at B&H while I was buying the 5D... I wish I had another $500 to blow so I could have jumped for the prime.

Ah crap. I hate having zooms and primes that conflict--but tis the problem of a photographer collecting and amassing a repertoire of lenses... :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sidney the way I look at it is these lenses with aspherical elements not only do they perform well wide open but also perform better in severe lighting situations. Like way more contrast and much less flair in back lit situations also the wide angle asphericals (L) have allot less distortion at the frame edges. I don't shoot with zooms. In fact I don't even own one.

I went digital about 14 months ago. Before that I shot with Canon F-1s all manual and Hasselblads 500 CMs also all manual. I always put my money in the glass. I had Canon old chrome mount FD lenses. 24 1.4 aspherical, 55 1.2 aspherical (an early one with old coating) 85 1.2 asphreical and 100 macro. Zeiss 50, 80, 120 macro, 150, 180 lenses. My advice is NEVER skimp on the glass.

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 30D with the following lenses:

50mm 1.8 (it was really cheap),

60mm 2.8 macro (got this one so I could get the double rebate from canon),

and tamron 17-50 2.8 (originally got the 17-85 4-5.6, but found it to be way too slow)

I was wondering if any of you have ever used the canon 17-55 2.8 IS USM? It seems like such an awesome lens, but it's soooo expensive...

Also, I'm also looking for a fast prime that is equivalent to a 50mm on a full frame. Any recommendations?

airfrogusmc, is there a particular reason why you advised to stay away from the "off brands"? I'd love to have a canon 35mm 1.4L, but it seems like I could get the sigma 30mm 1.4 (which is actually closer to 50mm equivalent than the 35mm, on the crop body), for 1/3 the price. they seem very similar, no?

airfrogusmc, is there a particular reason why you advised to stay away from the "off brands"? I'd love to have a canon 35mm 1.4L, but it seems like I could get the sigma 30mm 1.4 (which is actually closer to 50mm equivalent than the 35mm, on the crop body), for 1/3 the price. they seem very similar, no?

Canon, Nikon and Leica make THE FINEST 35mm lenses you can buy. I thought that was the reason someone would pick one of those makers, the glass. Why would you even consider something else when in the digital world the sensor and the glass are the two most important parts of forming the image? I don't know anyone that shoots with off brand lenses and I know allot of photographers.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up Nikon D40. It will be my first DSLR and I'm going to stick with the kit lens for the learning period. I really like the size of it, I want to take it with me when I travel and it fits in my bag. I also don't need it till spring so the price might drop below $500.

Recently sold my Canon sd500 for a Leica C-Lux 1. Awesome camera, 2.8 wide angle good macro cam Poly....A lil pricey but its an amazing camera. I have the film minilux Leica too and that is truly amazing also.

• 9 months later...
^^ wait for the d300 drop if you want to get a d200, they'll drop in mad price. their resale value is already plummeting.

^ Yup, that's what I was planning to do. Although it won't be an extreme price-drop, I'm a cheap motherfucker so the cheaper the better.

Qeustion:

My SD 450 Cannon has died, i need something small and compact to lug on a belt or bag and use in daily life. Anyone have a idea for the best cheapest most sexy lil cam out there? 5MP is fine for me BTW... thanks in advance guys.

^ Yup, that's what I was planning to do. Although it won't be an extreme price-drop, I'm a cheap motherfucker so the cheaper the better.

don't worry my friend is trying to sell his d200 right now and he probably can't get more than 700 for it. the d300 hasn't even come out yet, it'll continue to fall in price

Qeustion:

My SD 450 Cannon has died, i need something small and compact to lug on a belt or bag and use in daily life. Anyone have a idea for the best cheapest most sexy lil cam out there? 5MP is fine for me BTW... thanks in advance guys.

just saw the best buy circular that the SD1000 is 199.