leather experts assitance please:

robideaux

quick query, is it worth an extra 200 dollars to substitute horsehide for steerhide in a leather jacket? i have read elsewhere that horsehide is more durable and historic, has a glossier finish and what not, but what i'de like to know is if it really makes much of a difference in the way the jacket feels?

this is the jacket i am considering purchasing by schott:

http://www.schottnyc.com/motorcycle-leathers/classic_schott_racer_leather_motorcycle_jacket_in_horsehide.htm

any non-derisive advice would be appreciated ;)

funny: i'd've thought this implicit anytime a forum member asks a question or submits an outfit/music preference/new brand for discussion... the tenor of most of your posts runs counter to that attitude, though, so i'm not surprised you're asking to be coddled here. :rolleyes:

regarding your question: you seem to've done your research, but i'd add that the horsehide will take a lot longer to break in. it'll feel stiff for probably a year or more even with regular wear. steerhide isn't exactly calfskin, either, but the horsehide is in a different class of stiffness. i can't say whether it's worth an extra $200, but i'd definitely suggest trying one on before you buy it. are you not able to find a retailer near you?

funny: i'd've thought this implicit anytime a forum member asks a question or submits an outfit/music preference/new brand for discussion... the tenor of most of your posts runs counter to that attitude, though, so i'm not surprised you're asking to be coddled here. :rolleyes:

regarding your question: you seem to've done your research, but i'd add that the horsehide will take a lot longer to break in. it'll feel stiff for probably a year or more even with regular wear. steerhide isn't exactly calfskin, either, but the horsehide is in a different class of stiffness. i can't say whether it's worth an extra $200, but i'd definitely suggest trying one on before you buy it. are you not able to find a retailer near you?

thanks for the kind reply. unfortunately there are no schott retailers in hawaii. considering the excessive stiffness, i probably won't opt for HH...

Horsehide will last forever - so if you plan to keep the coat a long time and wear it really often yes ..

calfhide is great if you're not gonna wear it all the time and want it to be leathery right away ..

schott is decent there are better though

Wow, this will be hard.

If you click this link and scroll down to number 10 you can get one makers take on horse vs. cow. I have a jacket from Lost Worlds in horse, and one from Langlitz in cow. When new, both were very stiff, very stiff. I had a hard time moving my arms in the Lost Worlds jacket, and the Langlitz wasn't much softer. Is the Lost Worlds better because it's horse? Hardly. Both are from top tier makers using extra sooperdooper hides, I expect both to out live me. I'm 99% sure none of that helped.

so now to the OPs ?

Is it worth it to spend the extra $$$ on horse?

To me, not if you're buying Schott (fuck, I almost made it).

"On the various flight and vintage jacket forums, where "men" put up digital pictures for their "buddies" of how they look in flight jackets -- children dressing up, no, cross-dressing as adults -- one can read expert instructions on aging, softening, antiquing new jackets to give them that flown-in look, for those whose knowledge of American history and masculine imagery are but flights of the remotest fantasy. There's putting 'em in the washer, sanding, nail polish remover, heat treatments. Avoid these forums, their self-appointed, fatuous "authorities" and instructions like syphilis if you want to know anything -- tanning, history, technical data (Nietzsche might say rulers are only for the small)-- about this important if esoteric niche of Americana. A disgrace that manly pursuits are contaminated by the unmanly. Welcome to the afterbirths of political correctness. Mass eunuchry -- a different kind of gun control."

i love lost worlds.

All things equal I would take the horse if for fashion. If for actual riding take the leather. Also if you want absolute "authentic" MC jackets try vansonleathers.com. I ride on the street and track and have 2 custom jackets and a custom racing suit.

This picture shows my suit after two slides of abour 50 ft. each. No holes, no torn stitching. For quality Vanson cannot be beat. Also they make their MC jackets in a medium weight cowhide for fashion wear.

th_bikes002-1.jpgth_DSCN0365.jpg

th_bikes004.jpgThat's my bike in front. Aprilia Tuono.

horsehide is cool

got a belt from van jack which is horse hide, and it has a really cool redish shine to it

anyway

got a cow (bovine?) leather jacket from farhi and it was butter soft when i bought it

but now after 5 years the hem on the pockewts are starting to sag. it would take a lto longr for this to happen in a stiffer hide

but one thing is when applying polish use sparingly.

the first time i did mine i kept using more and more till it was caked on. took me 3 solid days of rubbing to get the shine back. nearly gave me tennis elbow.

a rookie mistake but let this be a warning