How do you pick denim?

weiyung

Hello everyone, I am researching how people select jeans and their behaviors. It would be great if people can comment on how they select jeans or your friends/customers. So far I have identified a list of criteria people may use to select the jeans they want. My main goal is to be able to understand a consumer's behavior when theygo into a store to buy a pair of jeans, what goes through their minds.

Rise:

-Low

-Relaxed

-Regular

-Classic

-Medium

-High

-Baggy

Leg:

-Flare

-Bootcut

-Straight

-Tapered

-Skinny

-Tube

-Cigarette

-Slim

Wash:

-Raw

-Dry

-White

-Medium

-Dark

-Light

-Grey

-Black

Material:

-Regular

-Stretch

Thank you in advance for your input.

Guest jeffvyain

your criteria don't paint the entire picture

when i go and look for jeans, i look for (in order of importance):

1. wash - raw/one-wash

2. leg - slim/straight

3. leg length - no less than 34 in. - preferably 35 or 36

4. fit - i generally like more modern fits as opposed to anti-fit jeans, but this is not a flat out requirement.

5. material - irregular/slubby... and stretch is for girls

6. rise - medium-ish

Regular

Straight

Raw

Regular

Plus, I like a dark rich dense weave and indigo, slubby or smooth is OK. Prefer selvedge because to me jeans are an old-skool and historical and retro nostalgia thing more than a modern fashion thing. Also I like rivets, two back pockets, preferably with some design, not none, and not too flowery.

for me it's about trying different pairs of quality jeans that look pretty good on me. i'm fascinated by how different denim fade differently, depending on materials, dye process, weaving process, cuts, size, etc.

other factors that matter to me are comfort and price points. right now, i prefer non-sanforized selvage denim, too.

overall, my preferences right now are:

• lowish-to-mid rise

• straight or slightly tapered cut

• raw or one wash (so that i can break into them myself)

• and i guess what you call normal material, but i'm looking for ones that produce very vintage-like fades

in other words, vintage-quality denim hidden in a modernish cut.

I usually have a specific piece in mind, but if I don't and I come across something that catches my eye I try to consider the rest of my collection so as to avoid repeating a cut or fabric.

However, if I find a jean that is clearly supierior to one in my collection of similar cut and/or fabric I buy it and shitcan the old one.

reg

straight

raw

reg

that's basically what i'd look for but more often then not i'm swayed by a specific detail - the denim on sorahikos/the backpocket design on imperials/the slubbiness of duckdiggers/the detailing on sammies/the handmade factor in ande whalls...

all of those factors have swung it for me on recent purchases.

I tend to pick based solely on price and hype. So seeing as how 45rpm tend to have a lock on both of those I will buy those. Also, if I see a lot of people on superfuture want a certain pair of jeans, then I will buy those and post pics of them so that all y'all get real jealous... no big deal.