febreeze and dry cleaning

blinddan

i wanted to get a good discussion going here....

how do you feel about febreeze? i've used it myself to stay away from washing jeans, when i needed to tone the smell down a bit. any evidence to support that febreeze is bad?

dry cleaning, i have been told by local merchants at premium denim spots that the chemicals used, although they do not harm the color of the denim, are known to wear down the fabric? the example i was provided with was a pair of sammy's with the back's of the knees blown out and the one of the pockets falling off, but it was a story, not a picture.

discuss.

Fuck Febreeze, go dry cleaning! Febreeze is the devil. If it actually killed the odors, fine, but it masks them and that means the smell gets worse. I wouldn't recommend going to the dry cleaners all the time with your jeans, but then again, I wouldn't recommend going to the dry cleaners with anything all of the time.

Febreeze aint that bad, but if you sweat a lot or spill an assorment of fluids on your jeans, Febreeze will make it worse. Dry cleaning is the way to go if you want to get funk out. But the chemicals are terrible for the cotton, making the fibers weak. So the best thing to do is to wear the shit out of them, then soak it in cold water, gentle detergent and hang dry.

I'd soak, but really don't want much shrinking. I wear a 36, so these fit pretty right as-is. If Levi's would make a 38, I'd soak the crap out of them, but 38s are not available, even though Levi's has that size on their website. Go figure...

Maybe a short cold soak, and wear until dry?

If it smells like shit, I just spray some paper towels with not to strong cologne and everything and put it on the floor, and then hang my denim and shut it in my warm and stuff closet. the cologne vapors evaporate and rise to it but not too much. so your jeans will have the great ball sweat smell with a scent of some cheap cologne

If it smells like shit, I just spray some paper towels with not to strong cologne and everything and put it on the floor, and then hang my denim and shut it in my warm and stuff closet. the cologne vapors evaporate and rise to it but not too much. so your jeans will have the great ball sweat smell with a scent of some cheap cologne

damn good idea

...i thought only h20 evaporates and nothing else?

very elaborate idea though...

since xmas is coming and all...i say you just wrap your jeans around a pine tree, give it that minty fresh smell;)