thom browne store

cybercheryl

why the neg, jonas?

i think thom browne's stuff looks really, really clean and it is probably the most different-thinking if not forward-thinking thing that anyone's managed to do to the traditional suit.

i think it is all in the shortened sleeves- the shortened, tight pant hems i can do without.

People are complaining about his prices, but like any luxury brand its part of the plan on building the brand image.

He's making customers feel like they're apart of a specific club by having such high prices. Much like streetwear brands releasing some things in extremely limited supply, he controls his clientel with prices. Even though I appreciate his quality, I cringe a lot at the prices as well. However I don't regret buying a couple of thom browne ties for 250.00, I'm completely happy with them.

While I don't think what he's doing is anything new (they're throwback 1960s silouhettes), it coming out now is a refreshing break from most menswear looks. He's a very smart business man.

While I don't think what he's doing is anything new (they're throwback 1960s silouhettes), it coming out now is a refreshing break from most menswear looks. He's a very smart business man.

True, but the silhouettes are exaggerated far beyond what they were in the 60s, and that is what is interesting about his work.

PS. Update your goddamn blog, slacker!

that's exactly what he is. and you can get a much better suit for the prices he's asking. going against the norm- yeah i'll give him that.

groundbreaking/genius and deserving of the hype surround his label? i can hem my own trousers thank you.

00030m.jpg00040m.jpg

bleh.

that said, i've never tried one on/felt his fabrics- so my opinion doesn't carry that much weight. but i'd probably spend my money on a spencer hart suit over one of his anyday.

True, but the silhouettes are exaggerated far beyond what they were in the 60s, and that is what is interesting about his work.

PS. Update your goddamn blog, slacker!

Actually they aren't. High cuff pants were common in a lot of mens suits. While his suits are slightly more fitted, you can see that it isn't an extreme change. If you want to get a good idea, you should watch the classic McQueen movie Bullit, there are several shots of men in Thom Browne ish suits (jackets different colored than the pants, pants with high cuffs, slim lapels).

When I watched it recently again I realized that Thom probably got a lot of inspiration from this movie (and I see a lot of his stylings in The Graduate as well)

that's exactly what he is. and you can get a much better suit for the prices he's asking. going against the norm- yeah i'll give him that.

groundbreaking/genius and deserving of the hype surround his label? i can hem my own trousers thank you.

I certainly agree. You can get an equally stunning bespoke suit from another label. His prices start at what most guys on saville row start at.

I was really initially turned off when I found out his stuff is made in queens of all places, but you have to see his construction in person to really appreciate it. He does things I haven't seen in a lot of other companies and I think that's where the innovation lies (not just with the high hems which many customers don't even end up getting). For example, he double interfaces his ties with really high quality infacing. That's why I really like his ties, they're extremely rigid and thick.

I'd definetly recommend you heading to Bergdorfs/Barneys or the TB store and seeing his stuff in person even if you don't really like the stylings, just for the construction alone.

P.S. As for my blog, I'm currently taking a break from Parsons for about a year to do my own thing (relax, work on my own projects, intern..etc). I wasn't sure if people still read it because the comments started dying down. However, in or around Jan I will be doing a full on redesign/update for my new projects and ventures. Thanks for keeping up.

Actually they aren't. High cuff pants were common in a lot of mens suits.

I was really initially turned off when I found out his stuff is made in queens of all places, but you have to see his construction in person to really appreciate it.

P.S. As for my blog, I'm currently taking a break from Parsons for about a year to do my own thing (relax, work on my own projects, intern..etc). I wasn't sure if people still read it because the comments started dying down. However, in or around Jan I will be doing a full on redesign/update for my new projects and ventures. Thanks for keeping up.

As high as the 'ideal' TB suit, IE. the length that TB himself wears? I certainly pick up on what you're talking about, and wouldn't deny that it is definitely where TB gets his inspiration from, but that difference of an inch and a half is still different enough currently to merit the attention he's getting, I think. If anything, the guy knows when to strike.

The construction really is great- don't knock Queens. You'd be surprised to find out how many retired, extremely masterful tailors, shoemakers, etc. are living in NYC.

There's a shoe shop a few minutes from my place in the Bronx that is run by an old Italian shoemaker who makes amazing leather shoes.

Good luck with all your future endeavors- your blog is actually on my Favorites,

right below the Sartorialist, and right above Hint magazine. I'll be sure to check back

in a while to see what's new.